Beginners and Beyond

If you could describe yourself in one photo... (Read 536 times)

#artbydmcbride

"A Purrito! Big grin"

that's me!  Smile

Runners run

Mr MattM

Mr MattM, I know what you are getting at dude but never cool IMO to show an actual person dying.  Self-immolation is some terrible shit.  Maybe you are unaware this is an actual person dying.  (I don't want to kick off some crap, so I won't respond further)

Glad you have an opinion, and I respect your right to not agree with mine.

I think, perhaps, you are unaware of the primary purpose of self-immolation.  It is the greatest sacrifice one can give to draw attention to a cause one feels is greater than ones' self.  You see a person dying.  I see an incredible act of protest and nobility.

As an aside, I love it when people say that they don't want to kick off some crap... after posting something clearly intended to kick off some crap.

What is kicking off crap, anyway?  It is a phrase with which I am unfamiliar...

Moving along now... *whistlin' a happy tune*

be curious; not judgmental

MrNamtor

so you're saying that a photo of someone who has set themselves on fire represents you. In what way, may i ask? I mean, it was pretty bold (and funny) of you to take an ass shot and post it, but this is something on a different level entirely.

Also, I know this was done by Buddhist monks to protest the war in viet nam. Not sute how much was accomplished hy these types of actions. And how exactly is killing yourself different from committing murder? You're still killing someone, even if it's you.

@runjerseygirl

Oh lord.  My post has turned into the Friday Meltdown thread.  Can we please just let it go?  I can't deal with this shit today.

Don't make be bust out my bitch slapper.

Do you even run?

Mr MattM

Oh lord.  My post has turned into the Friday Meltdown thread.  

Your word choices are admirable... Big grin

The question is:

"...And how exactly is killing yourself different from committing murder? You're still killing someone, even if it's you."

To which I reply by way of example:

A man is firing a gun at your 15 year old child with a clear intent to kill.  You step in front of the bullet... and die.

To gives ones' life for a noble cause isn't murder, it's charity.

Edited to add:  But others may feel differently... and that's okay with me.

Dad on the run.

Glad you have an opinion, and I respect your right to not agree with mine.

I think, perhaps, you are unaware of the primary purpose of self-immolation.  It is the greatest sacrifice one can give to draw attention to a cause one feels is greater than ones' self.  You see a person dying.  I see an incredible act of protest and nobility.

As an aside, I love it when people say that they don't want to kick off some crap... after posting something clearly intended to kick off some crap.

What is kicking off crap, anyway?  It is a phrase with which I am unfamiliar...

Moving along now... *whistlin' a happy tune*

You see an incredible act of protest and nobility... I just see an idiot, nothing personal but what good comes from setting yourself on fire, that like putting a bullet in your brain. Everyone remembers you for a brief moment then your just a whisper in the wind.

Not to mention its called suicide, which is just a cowards way out.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Not quite right

Back on topic

Singer who runs a smidge

Most days, this is a good description.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Mr MattM

You see an incredible act of protest and nobility... I just see an idiot, nothing personal but what good comes from setting yourself on fire, that like putting a bullet in your brain. Everyone remembers you for a brief moment then your just a whisper in the wind.

Not to mention its called suicide, which is just a cowards way out.

Ah, in Buddhist culture that man is revered as a bodhisattva.  He is the one with the compassionate heart.

What you call suicide some see as sacrifice.  He did not kill himself because he 'couldn't bare to live'... he sacrificed himself because so many others were not being given an opportunity to live.  He did not take his life... he gave it willingly for a higher purpose.

I've no issue with how you or others choose to view things.  However, it was a moment in history that will live on long past any of us.

#artbydmcbride

I disagree

MTA:  this is what I am disagreeing with: 

"You see an incredible act of protest and nobility... I just see an idiot, nothing personal but what good comes from setting yourself on fire, that like putting a bullet in your brain. Everyone remembers you for a brief moment then your just a whisper in the wind.

Not to mention its called suicide, which is just a cowards way out."

Runners run

Antipodean

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I disagree

MTA:  this is what I am disagreeing with: 

"You see an incredible act of protest and nobility... I just see an idiot, nothing personal but what good comes from setting yourself on fire, that like putting a bullet in your brain. Everyone remembers you for a brief moment then your just a whisper in the wind.

Not to mention its called suicide, which is just a cowards way out."

I agree with your disagreement. That is such a powerful image. It takes my breath away every time I see it.

Most days, this is a good description.

HsM, don't you have some running tights that match? 

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM, don't you have some running tights that match? 

Good point. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

I guess we shall agree to disagree, the road that this discussion would lead to is a religious debate that I don't think is appropriate for a place like this.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.