Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Girls On The Run 5K (Read 29 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO AND SHORT VERSION REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them

This was Race number 23 for me for the year 2015.   Held on May 3, this was my 2nd 5K of the weekend, after doing the Alamo Beer 5K on May 2.  This race supports "Girls On The Run" (http://www.gotrsanantonio.org/ ) which has a mission to "inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running." My good running friend, Sally Seeker was one of the organizers for this year's event and invited me to participate and do a race report, as I did for her last year too.  Weather was actually pretty nice, in the low 60s with low humidity and dew-point, and some nice cloud cover.   The venue was Martin Luther King Park, which has paved trails that are part of the San Antonio trails 'greenway" system.   This course was much flatter than the somewhat hilly Alamo Beer 5K, so I actually finished a few seconds faster than yesterday's 5K, finishing in 32: 53.    This was good enough for 2nd in my age group (60 - 69)...especially as there were only two IN my age group, lol.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Pretty nice turn-out for this one, lots of "Girls On The Run" teams with their coaches, several parents running with their daughters - and sons too - lots of friends of he girls out running also, and several of us adult runners out there supporting the cause.  It was quite a nice mix of quite runners of quite a variety of ages out there.   Kudos to Black Girls Run! who were some of our on-course volunteers at the water stops, etc., and also ti iRun Texas, a really good local running store who also had volunteers out there

Before the Start

I got up before dark - mainly because I'm an idiot and thought the race started at 8 a.m., but when I looked ay my 'races calendar" I saw it was 9 a.m. start...duhhhh. So I had some breakfast, and took my time getting myself hydrated and then left to get there at least a bit early.  Probably a good thing, too, MLK Park  parking lot is fairly small, so parking there was crazy and even parking lot next to the park that we could use was full.  However "George" was watching out for me and as I came up near a space, someone was leaving it, so I waited and then was able to park quite close to the start/finish area.  Thank you George  - my Hawaiian "menehune" (leprechaun) that I "adopted" when I was in the Air Force and stationed in Hawaii and he's been with me ever since, keeping me safe and bringing me luck when I need it at times. 

So out of the car, got my timing chip, and then got some pre-start photos of participants, their supporters, race volunteers, et al.....

photo 011_zpsgz3kftti.jpg

My friend and race organizer, Sally, with fellow volunteer

photo 008_zpshd7qlvrm.jpg

photo 009_zpsbprcejlq.jpg

photo 010_zpsaswjxr24.jpg

Lauren and Adrian (red shirts) had also done the Alamo Beer 5K on Saturday with me, so 2nd race of the weekend for them too

photo 001_zpsh1gig4dq.jpg

Quite a busy little place already by the time I got to the park

photo 002_zpsgrnooaib.jpg

Three active duty Air Force guys and one old retired Air Force guy

photo 003_zpspfj3eafr.jpg

I figured they needed a photo by themselves to make it more "beautiful' without that fat old guy in there... 

photo 014_zps8drqjdxw.jpg

photo 004_zpszl14vwfb.jpg

photo 005_zpshjzhktpe.jpg

This lovely lady - one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet - is the RD for this event.

photo 006_zpsvhou3hro.jpg

photo 007_zpsidt9zibe.jpg

photo 012_zpsovssuxpd.jpg

photo 013_zpspl7yhlkw.jpg

photo 015_zpsljyp9x2z.jpg

photo 016_zpst8ik77aw.jpg

photo 017_zps7d6taivl.jpg

photo 018_zps3hwflw3b.jpg

photo 019_zpse4uja9xz.jpg

photo 020_zpsaunv3ktr.jpg

Pre-race stretching routine being done

photo 022_zpsrf0oe3iq.jpg

photo 023_zpsoilmwior.jpg

photo 024_zpsyidebnd8.jpg

Getting read to start

photo 026_zpszu36nxur.jpg

On the Course

One thing San Antonio now has is a great system of parks with these 'greenway trails."  This trailway system did not even exist when I moved to San Antonio 20 years ago, so we've come a long way since then for our hike-bike-run community.   Lots of the trails of the various parks connect, so you can go a long ways on some of them.  MLK Park for some reason is one of the lesser used parks but it is a very nice park with some very nice trails, and lots of shade trees along the trails.  It is pretty much flat in this park too, which makes it easier on the legs - especially after a hilly 5K the day before.   Course for this race was an out-and-back so, at my slow pace, I got to see several of the speedier runners heading back to the finish after they made the turn-around point.

On the way to the turn-round point:

photo 027_zpsifcheihg.jpg

photo 028_zpsf6ltrnwm.jpg

photo 029_zpslkcioh0y.jpg

photo 030_zpsqflumbla.jpg

photo 031_zpszrtgvpfi.jpg

Made the turn-around point  and with other people on the right, heading back to the finish.

photo 032_zpsrm5p0w6d.jpg

photo 033_zps2t3yv6pa.jpg

photo 034_zpshixfoisk.jpg

photo 035_zpsxlpznpiy.jpg

Thanks for the water and the smiles, ladies!

photo 036_zpskgzytyim.jpg

photo 037_zps3fnkalte.jpg

photo 038_zpsqmt2pkpn.jpg

photo 039_zpsdb3tpeu0.jpg

Headed back to the finish non-stop after that.  With about 1/4 mile to go, ran near a dad and his daughter.   I was ahead of them for a bit but right near the finish, the little lady found her mojo and zipped right by me near the finish mat, beating me in by about 5 seconds or so.  Way to go young lady, finishing strong!

After the Finish

The speedy little lady that burned me at the finish - here with her Dad.

photo 040_zpsmua7trjr.jpg

Her Dad kindly let me have a photo with her...I WAS trying to smile, but was still panting from lack of breath from her making me 'race".

photo 041_zpscmpic4ug.jpg

More "Happy Finishers", volunteers, et al...

Our MC, Lana, calling out the names and numbers as people finished

photo 042_zps9fwiadfu.jpg

photo 044_zpsbplngl4c.jpg

photo 045_zpsauiaunx6.jpg

My friend, Mitch, owner of iRun, photo-bombing these two, lol.

photo 046_zpswf9rcsaj.jpg

Redo for them...

photo 047_zpsr9mu7f2j.jpg

photo 048_zpsxss5amwi.jpg

photo 049_zpspm2tsxxn.jpg

photo 050_zpsz2kyr01o.jpg

photo 051_zpsgaiazlaa.jpg

photo 052_zpsjuehvswr.jpg

photo 053_zpsrkpvaxxh.jpg

photo 054_zpsyqbx2mnz.jpg

photo 055_zps19wbpibl.jpg

photo 056_zps8zdjexku.jpg

photo 057_zps00tyb7gv.jpg

photo 058_zpsja64q485.jpg

Big hearts...Mitch (orange shirt) and Lauren, who were first overall male (22:42) and female (21:40) - went back out on the course to cheer on participants still on the course and then ran back in a second time, keeping some folks company.

photo 059_zpsm8z0b1eq.jpg

My UTSA co-worker Alma, with my friends MC Lana and Race Volunteer Minnie

photo 060_zpscpujhvmm.jpg

Alma and her daughter, who also did the race

photo 061_zps46b6w2bo.jpg

photo 062_zpsbabkiw9w.jpg

photo 063_zpsbcemj0bi.jpg

photo 064_zps4def41cj.jpg

photo 065_zpswiejdq5w.jpg

photo 066_zpsfd1gjik1.jpg

photo 067_zpsclhpkksd.jpg

photo 069_zpsvkkiwe99.jpg

photo 070_zpspugdfuoi.jpg

photo 071_zpsobgtg5ko.jpg

photo 072_zpsxaukybjc.jpg

photo 073_zpsdcpt5aep.jpg

Epilog

Always a friendly and fun event for a great cause.  Nice race venue - although if this popular race keeps getting any bigger, it might have to be moved to a larger park - lots of friendly people, good course, lots of post-race activity going on.  I saw lots and lots of smiles at this event and it's great seeing these young ladies achieving success with their running.  And it's usually done on a Sunday, so get little competition from other local events.  Definitely a worthwhile event to put on your race calendar, so, runners, keep an eye out for it next year!  Much thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, organizers, law enforcement, EMT,  running companies, etc....all the folks that made this one happen for we participants!  iaapweb.com, as usual, did their great job of course set-up and timing results.

Next up for me:  Race 24, Jon's Stroll 5K on May 9th at Wheatley Heights Sports complex.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I'm sure you enjoyed following all the lovely ladies.  Nice that it's such a popular event.

Why do some of the girls have bibs with just the number 1 and others have regular bibs?

Brilliant

Sounds like a nice race and a good cause.  I like organizations that encourage young people to run.  At the community center where I volunteer, they have done a couple of cycles where they train the youth for a race (one was a half-marathon and the other was a mud/obstacle run thing).  I'm going to remind the guy in charge of it that I'm willing to help out with the training if he wants to do another.  Big grin

Zelanie

Sounds like a great event, Scotty!  I did a girls on the run race last year with a girl from my school, although from my perspective towards the back of the pack, I'm not sure there was much of a race, even on the front.  It was still a good day out for a good cause, though!  Glad you had a good time.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm sure you enjoyed following all the lovely ladies.  Nice that it's such a popular event.

Why do some of the girls have bibs with just the number 1 and others have regular bibs?

All the girls who are members of 'Girls On The Run" all got bib #1 because they are all "No. 1."  Non-members and the adult team captains and the girls' adult 'running buddy" mentors all got regular bibs.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

It looks like a lot of people showed up for this one.

Cool.  This is a good cause.

Buelligan

Your race report always delivers the goods.  Love the photographs.