Beginners and Beyond

Peculiar Penguin Weekend (Read 24 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

It's Peculiar People Day!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." -Bill Bowerman

PADRunner

Morning Penguins!

8 miles in some form or fashion on tap today. Drinking coffee and waiting for the sun to come up to see what the day will bring.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Thanks for starting us off, PAD.  Hope you have a great eight.

AFM - long run scheduled today.  But I went to bed last night with a scratchy throat (post nasal drip) and it's worse this morning.  Think I'm coming down with a cold and not sure how smart it is to wear myself out.  But I'm going to lace up and see how it goes.

Zelanie

Go, saph!

Hope the run goes well, Brilliant.

PAD- Have a good run.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good Saturday morning, penguins.  I got in 3.3 miles this morning.  Feeling the aches and pains of regaining my running consistency today.

Running for TJ because he can't.

obiebyke

How's it going everyone? I'm up in the Minnesota northwoods and went for a stunningly beautiful and HILLY 3 miles. I feel great. Woo, that was a workout!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

tracilynn

Hey Saturday penguins

I did 6.5M but I didn't dress warm enough. I kinda froze. Glad it's over. I need some REAL cold running gear but don't wanna spend $ in it since it doesn't get  or stay too cold here in AL.

Get  better soon Brilliant.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Have  a great 8 PAD.

Hope your not getting the mutant flu, B.

Hi Zel and Robert.

Nice run Obie.

Traci, get some cold weather gear and add some more team miles.

3 indoors for us city wimps.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

5 easy miles today. Now it's raining and it could raining for my run tomorrow. Oh well, I suppose that is why Santa brought me a rain jacket for Christmas.

Also, the bathroom is all done. Finally.

Happy Saturday Penguins!

Just came back from a nice 6 miles - a bit windy, but sunny, and in the 30's. Just about warm  compared to the frigid temps in western Kansas. I managed a short two miles in 25 mph winds that turned 8 degrees into negative numbers that challenged my sanity. But I did. It's weird how my ego sometimes pushes me out there when I think someone saner than me would just stay inside. Is it pride, commitment, or just plane stupidity? Just curious if anyone else thinks the same way?

PAD - Hope your day brought you lots of sunshine and smooth miles under your feet.

Brilliant - Take care and stay well.

Robert - Way to get back into the swing of it.

Obie - Sounds like you had a great run. I can hear your smile.

Traci - It's amazing how much the right cold gear tempers the elements. Dressing right sure makes a difference. I think I spent close to $100 for the tights I'm wearing right now. This is my third winter using them and they are holding up great, so I guess I'm getting my money's worth, but it the chunk of change to buy them, was hard to justify at the time. I'm glad I did, but I understand your dilemma.

Hi Zelanie!

Jerry - I don't think anyone who runs 3 miles is a wimp.

Jack - congrats on the rainy run and the finished bathroom.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

GinnyinPA

Well, I certainly qualify as a peculiar person.

Ran 4 miles at sunset in Fort Pierce, Fl after checking in at the KOA.  Not nearly as nice as yesterday's 6 out of Flamingo Campground in the Everglades.  The best part for both is sunny and 70's.  I've been much better so far on this trip at making time for running. I'm not doing the 40 per week I was managing during the streak, but I've gotten 30 or so.  I'm loving this flat running.  I feel so fast!

Zelanie

Hey guys.  I'm struggling a bit right now.  I think it's because I bumped my mileage back up with the start of the new year.  It's not higher mileage than I'm used to, but it's more than I've run since my marathon.  So it makes sense that a couple of weeks in, I'd feel it, I think.  Still, I ran 12 yesterday, first time post-marathon, and I was a full two minutes slower per mile than I'd been in the past.  I've felt similarly slow for a while.  I have no idea what's going on other than I figure that if I keep getting out there, I will get through this patch.  So, I have 5 scheduled for today, to hit my weekly mileage goal.

PADRunner

Well I guess I'm a soft runner. I opted the TM over rain & 35.

18 miles on the TM. I broke it up to 6 mile runs with a 10 min break between.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Zel: Don't sweat it and don't try to do more than you're comfortable with. You'll get your groove back.

PAD: Nice work on the TM! 18 miles is a lot on that thing.

As for me, 13 miles with 8@GMP are done, 8:04 average pace. My new rain jacket was nice. It rained on me the entire time by I stayed warm and dry. Now I can shower and watch football.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hey guys.  I'm struggling a bit right now.  I think it's because I bumped my mileage back up with the start of the new year.  It's not higher mileage than I'm used to, but it's more than I've run since my marathon.  So it makes sense that a couple of weeks in, I'd feel it, I think.  Still, I ran 12 yesterday, first time post-marathon, and I was a full two minutes slower per mile than I'd been in the past.  I've felt similarly slow for a while.  I have no idea what's going on other than I figure that if I keep getting out there, I will get through this patch.  So, I have 5 scheduled for today, to hit my weekly mileage goal.

Zel - how is your weight now compared to during marathon training?  I notice that when I gain a bit of weight (even just 5 lbs) I feel sluggish/slow.  I'm sure that you'll get through this!

Brilliant - feel better

PAD - I hope your 8 went well

obie - how cold is Minnesota?

Robert - you'll get into the groove soon

traci - Try goodwill and/or a TJMaxx type store for cheap winter running gear

ginny - I'm so jealous - 70s would be wonderful!

Jerry - "city wimps" really? =D

Jack - congrats on the bathroom

Kathleen - I'm choosing wimp mode over insanity mode for the most part lately.. though I did run a 10k race in 16 degree weather yesterday morning.

I've been feeling pretty crappy all week - a bit sick/run down early in the week and now just some random knee pain/stiffness (new) and the same old ankle issues.  My ass is incredibly sore on one side as well after yesterday's "race" which I ran instead of raced.  I don't think it is possible (for me) to "race" in 16 degree weather.  My lungs just say "hell no".  At least my inhaler worked like a charm and I wasn't wheezing or anything.  Finished in 1:12:33 for a 11:41 pace - which was fine by me.  My friend didn't fare nearly as well - her heart rate shot up into the 180s/190s trying to maintain a 12 minute pace and she begged me to just drop her after 1.5 miles so that she could walk for a bit.

I feel bad because I'm definitely not pulling my weight for my 2015in2015 team but I'm hoping to do much better next week.  I'm giving myself today and tomorrow as rest/yoga days and hoping by Tuesday my knee, ankle, and ass will be much improved :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)