Beginners and Beyond

Jeff Galloway is speaking in my town tonight. (Read 139 times)

bingo_jenn

How about we agree on something:
    1.  All finishers of a race that gives a finisher's medal deserve the medal, no matter how they finished (run or walk or skip).
    2.  If you have trained using run/walk,  you are adequately prepared to run/walk your race.

3.  If you have trained to run your race, then if you needed to run/walk in order to finish, then you were not adequately prepared to run the race.

4.  If you trained to run your race, and ran the entire time, then you were adequately prepared to run the race.

5.  Elite runners do not utilize run/walk methods.  They are faster than those who do utilize run/walk methods.  They still get the same finisher's medal and they all ran the same distance.  They just did it faster.

Amy, I have been made to feel shame by some people here for a number of my 10 marathons. Yet, I have BQed in all of them. I've learned to just shrug and move on. We do what we feel we must do to get where we want, that's all.

How have they made you feel shame for a BQ? Do you think it might be in the way you interpreted a comment? I don't know, I'm just asking because I kind of find it hard to believe anyone would mock a BQ marathon time.

How about we agree on something:
        1.  All finishers of a race that gives a finisher's medal deserve the medal, no matter how they finished (run or walk or skip).
        2.  If you have trained using run/walk,  you are adequately prepared to run/walk your race.

3.  If you have trained to run your race, then if you needed to run/walk in order to finish, then you were not adequately prepared to run the race.

4.  If you trained to run your race, and ran the entire time, then you were adequately prepared to run the race.

5.  Elite runners do not utilize run/walk methods.  They are faster than those who do utilize run/walk methods.  They still get the same finisher's medal and they all ran the same distance.  They just did it faster.

Stop it. Stop it right now. We haven't had a good Friday meltdown thread in a while and you're going to ruin it with your logic. Wink

bingo_jenn

But, but, but, can't we all get along???

xor

How have they made you feel shame for a BQ? Do you think it might be in the way you interpreted a comment? I don't know, I'm just asking because I kind of find it hard to believe anyone would mock a BQ marathon time.

Yeah, I wonder about this myself.  I have yet to see anyone outright "shame" someone here, much less shame a BQ time.

And lily, you poke me and others... in a friendly way... all.the.time.

Weirdest thread in awhile.

happylily

Hey, maybe I'm just over-sensitive... In my RR for my 3:32 marathon (BQ -22), I explained that I ran the first half way too fast, because of mental fatigue and not caring anymore (6th marathon in 12 months), and I finished crawling to the finish line. Yet, I PRed. I realize that I did something wrong, but I also worked my butt for that PR. Someone left a comment in my RR which was something like this: "What's your problem with not being able to stick to a plan?" No congratulations at all... just those words. It sort of left a bitter feeling in me. But I guess I really am over-sensitive after all. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

bingo_jenn

Yeah, I wonder about this myself.  I have yet to see anyone outright "shame" someone here, much less shame a BQ time.

You know you like it...

xor

You know what, SRL? Really, you don't like me, don't reply to me and attack me.

I didn't attack you.  I commented that this is a "room317 special" because you have a habit of stirring up crap and getting really ticked off and throwing your own barbs... when the reality is you aren't saying what you really perhaps should say in your posts.  Then you come back and say "well, what I meant was..."  I stand behind what I wrote... you have loaded a shit-ton of unsaid stuff in your words (as has LTH) and yall are going off Yosemite Sam-like.  But you aren't really talking about the same thing.

Readers of this thread deserve a medal.

If you'd like me to attack you, I could go cut-and-paste your own attacks on me and others that you conduct rather mercilessly in threads here and on RWOL and redirect them your way.

happylily

Me poke fun at You? NEVER! BTW, I saw that "by" being turned into a "buy" earlier today. Big grin

Anyway, I'll be honest, it's all LTH's fault! Go get him, guys! He's a big meanie!Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I didn't attack you.  I commented that this is a "room317 special" because you have a habit of stirring up crap and getting really ticked off and throwing your own barbs... when the reality is you aren't saying what you really perhaps should say in your posts.  Then you come back and say "well, what I meant was..."  I stand behind what I wrote... you have loaded a shit-ton of unsaid stuff in your words (as has LTH) and yall are going off Yosemite Sam-like.  But you aren't really talking about the same thing.

If you'd like me to attack you, I could go cut-and-paste your own attacks on me and others that you conduct rather mercilessly in threads here and on RWOL and redirect them your way.

Yep, here for my medal!

Lily...you're universally beloved on here...whoever posted that needs to learn some respect.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

This thread delivers.

You people have issues 

Village people

My first running book was by Galloway. It was a great book for beginners. It had a great troubleshooting chapter that helped me with form and lots of other great tidbits. His run/walk approach, from what I remember, was based on his idea that once you were fatigued, you were fatigued. And there was no recovering, you were done.  The walking was to prevent this from happening. I didn't really think it was for racing, I thought it was to help keep you going and have that time on your feet. I assumed, that as time went by, you would walk less and be able to cover the distance nonstop. That seemed to be the point. How it morphed into Gallowalking, I don't know.

Luke79

Ms Chenandler Bong

Found the Friday Blow-up Thread!!

So, whatcha drinking tonight?

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Besides what happylily posted, there was at least one thread where a poster claimed the women's BQ standards were soft and it was easier for women to BQ than for men.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.