Beginners and Beyond

Coaching fees (Read 58 times)

Cyberic

A few people here hire a coach.

How much does it cost you for one on one stuff? Do you pay per hour, per week, per month?

It can be red cord, pilates, swimming, running... as long as it's one on one coaching.

onemile

Mine is $75/month.

http://www.hudsoneliteco.com/coaching/

All of the money goes toward the Hudson Elite athletes to pay for their racing/travel/training expenses.

You are paired with an Elite athlete and you have unlimited (email) communication with them.

You get a custom schedule on a weekly basis, written by Brad Hudson.

I was surprised how much I like it.  I like the variety of workouts. I like that it has helped me mix things up.  I like the feedback.  And it is custom. My workouts are adjusted based on how things are going and what I need.

And I think the pricing is very reasonable compared to other online coaches and I am confident in what I am given, vs. what I have seen from some of the local coaches around here.

It's also pretty cool to have your coach say to you... "I talked to Brad about what workouts to give you the next two weeks to help you get under 20"... (but I guess this is only cool if you know who Brad Hudson is, so nevermind, Cyberic )

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I paid a bit over $1000 for 6 months of personalized coaching to get me ready for my first ultra marathon. That included an extensive questionnaire to fill out, a personalized training schedule based on my background, fitness, and goals, biweekly phone calls, emails in between if needed, and weekly or biweekly adjustments to the training schedule based on what I was actually able to run. I was very satisfied with the results.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

From the Internet.

My coach is retired from the Ivy League. Weekly email exchange, we meet in person to discuss upcoming races, and he and the other club coaches hold 2x/week track practices in the winter and 3x/week spring/summer/fall. $65 annual running club membership fee, can't beat that!

delicate flower

I've seen it range anywhere from $25 a session to $100+ a session.  I've only paid for individual swim sessions.  Those were $50 for a one hour session.

My last two marathon cycles cost me $125/month for the training plans and coaching which included unlimited e-mail contact with the coach.  I knew the guy too, so I got face time as well.

My current triathlon coach costs me $85 a month for the weekly plans.  There isn't a lot of e-mail going back and forth between us simply because I've become pretty independent with my training.  Just tell me what to do and I do it.

<3

Cyberic

My coach is retired from the Ivy League. Weekly email exchange, we meet in person to discuss upcoming races, and he and the other club coaches hold 2x/week track practices in the winter and 3x/week spring/summer/fall. $65 annual running club membership fee, can't beat that!

$65/year for all that? You're right, can't beat that.

Cyberic

I paid a bit over $1000 for 6 months of personalized coaching to get me ready for my first ultra marathon. That included an extensive questionnaire to fill out, a personalized training schedule based on my background, fitness, and goals, biweekly phone calls, emails in between if needed, and weekly or biweekly adjustments to the training schedule based on what I was actually able to run. I was very satisfied with the results.

That's about $166/month... ok, the number looks less intimidating this way Smile

workinprogress11

Mine is $75/month.

All of the money goes toward the Hudson Elite athletes to pay for their racing/travel/training expenses.

You are paired with an Elite athlete and you have unlimited (email) communication with them.

I was surprised how much I like it.  I like the variety of workouts. I like that it has helped me mix things up.  I like the feedback.  And it is custom. My workouts are adjusted based on how things are going and what I need.

And I think the pricing is very reasonable compared to other online coaches and I am confident in what I am given, vs. what I have seen from some of the local coaches around here.

It's also pretty cool to have your coach say to you... "I talked to Brad about what workouts to give you the next two weeks to help you get under 20"... (but I guess this is only cool if you know who Brad Hudson is, so nevermind, Cyberic )

Thanks for the link. I will more than likely do this if I'm ever ready for a BQ attempt.

Cyberic

I'm thinking of seeing a coach I know, after Boston, for a one hour session, to try and work out some sort of long term plan for me, and make it into smaller, easier to swallow, shorter term goals. I don't know if one hour will be enough, or if I'll like what we will accomplish in one hour, but he charges $50 for the hour. Seems reasonable from what I've read so far in this thread.

I could probably manage to get that information from him bit by bit, through emails, and conversations here and there, but the guy quit his day job 5 years back and lives from running related stuff alone, so I don't want to cheat him out of his money.

And you're right, onemile, I have no idea who Brad Hudson is Smile

Mine is $75/month.

Don't you mean Hal Higdon? 

Dave

Thanks for the link. I will more than likely do this if I'm ever ready for a BQ attempt.

Whatcha waitin' for?

Dave

workinprogress11

Whatcha waitin' for?

Either for what little speed I had to come back or my 80th birthday 

Brilliant

Don't you mean Hal Higdon? 

No, I think he meant Keith Hanson....

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

No, I think he meant Keith Hanson....

I thought maybe he was thinking of Kate Hudson.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Red cord costs me $50 for an one hour session, which at four sessions per month, is pretty pricey. The cost is not a primary concern though because for me, the benefits from the workouts and the interactions with certified fitness trainers and PTs are worth it.