Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race No 2 - River Road 5K/10K/Half (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Full report below.   

Slide show of photos only: 

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20No%202%20River%20Road%205K%2010K%20Half?sort=2 

BEFORE MY START

My 2nd race of 2017 was the River Road 5K on Jan 6th.  There was also a half marathon and a 10K.  This race is part of the Texas Hill Country Race Series for which I signed up for.  Held in New Braunfels, Texas - about a 30 minute or so drive from San Antonio - this event had a start and finish at local music hall establishment The Ice House, and their management kindly opened the place for we participants for restroom use, stand inside a warmer place before the start, etc.  Half Marathon folks start time was  8 a.m; 10K at 8:30 a.m; and 5K at 9:00 am. Temp was around 46 degrees with no wind (thank goodness) and cloudy skies.  Not too bad but still chilly for this doggie, so I had a very light base layer under my running shirt and I kept a dry base layer shirt to change into post-race. I arrived at race locale just shortly before the half-marathon folks started; got my timing chip and then wandered around getting some pre-start photos.  With a 9 a.m. start for me, I had plenty of time.

I have arrived onsite

Our music man (left) and our MC

Various participants, volunteers, etc.  - including me, with a few friends.

Doggie is so excited about it all, lol.

Doggie says "OK, I looked at the camera...now back to my own world. "  lol.

Bernadette, always ready, lol.

ON THE COURSE

The Ice House sits at the top of a set of 'double hills", so to start we went down these hills - about a half-mile's worth - and then for the 5K folks it was pretty much flat to the turn-round point.  Of course, coming back that starting downhill became a half-mile uphill climb for us to get to the finish.  Since the 10K and half foks were going farther they probably got a couple more hills than we 5K folks did. A nice scenic course with the road going in-between beautiful tree-lines on either side of the road and views of the Guadalupe River. We crossed a bridge twice - first time to get the the turn-round point; and second time as we headed back to the finish - and some really nice views of the river from the bridge.   the course was open to traffic, of which we were all aware and the drivers I did see where I was at any given point were pretty polite and cautious with us.  Hopefully all participants had that experience. After my last walk break, just past the halfway point, I ran non-stop back to the finish, even on that last hill; have done this course before and knew what to expect; and also I do hill training regularly once a week, so I think I was prepared enough. Ended up with 32:30 time, 1st in my 60 - 64 age group.  I was the only one in my age group, lol, and jokingly told the MC I should get 3 awards since I was 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in my age group, being the only one, but they were not buying it, lol.

And here we 5Kers are, getting ready to go..our turn at last...

Around that curve back there is the hill we came down, and have to go back up to finish

I think this guy was one of the 10K folks,already heading to the finish; maybe the half; was not sure...but speedy!

On the river bridge

Heading back now to the finish.  I am on the left side of the road.

Looking back towards the bridge

And then looking forward and back at various times on my last walk break

Here comes my ride!  Naw, stroller guy didn't buy off on that, lol.

AFTER MY FINISH

The Scallywompus organization - which puts on this series of races - always has a great after party. The company motto, as a matter of fact, is "Come for the race. Stay for the party."  They are not kidding either.  Goodies included Alamo Beer and another company beer too, the name of which I can't remember, so my apologies to them; sausage wraps; some various types of liquor - not sure what, as I only drink beer, but that table was pretty active, lol - energy drinks, water, gatorade, various types of fruits and other stuff.  Nice tech tee race shirts too.  Unique age group and overall winners race awards. Participants were happily indulging post-race, lol.  Also had a music man playing tunes, a raffle drawing - I won nada - and lots of other stuff.  Scallywompus throws one heckuva party.  I wandered among the indulgers, happily sipping my Alamo beer and taking photos.

This is "Mr. Scallywompus" and friend

We had a Ninja runner...he was dang speedy too.  

Thanks for the beer, G!

My friend K. placed in competitive walker category. Age group award was a printed glass.

Me and my 60s throwback friend Don...we both got first in our age groups

She did the 10K and carried the flag the whole way

My a-peeling friend Carolyn

Our MC - dance team leader, lol

EPILOGUE

Any Scallywompus event is definitely one worth doing.  They go to great efforts to have real quality events, and several unusual ones too.  If you ever visit San Antonio put "Scallywompus" in your search engine, find their race calendar and do an event, you will not regret it.  And be sure to stay for the party!    Definitely would recommend this and all Scallywompus events to my fellow runners.  And walkers too, because Scallywompus keeps them in mind by having a competitive walking division and they get their own awards, nice.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people responsible for making this happen for we participants!  Volunteers, law enforcement  and EMT people out there for us, Ice House staff, Scallywompus staff, all the sponsors, River Road and New Braunfels residents who let us invade their space for a few hours, iaapweb for doing the timing, results, and the race shirts, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you so much for all you do for us!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt