Beginners and Beyond

Week 19 Penguins chow down on shrimp! (05/09-05/15) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon! RD for me but I lifted at lunch.

HopesMom, hope you had a nice weekend!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National Shrimp Day, which I guess could refer to the food or to your short friends.  Whatever works!

I had a computer-free weekend, basically hanging out with DH, watching TV, chatting with my mom on Sunday, and singing with the quartet and church.  It was nice, and even nicer in light of the fact that I got to work today and started immediately running around with my hair on fire.  My standards didn't want to show up, and I still don't know why, but I remade the solvents and that seemed to fix things.  Then I got the news that one of my run sets from last week needed to be redone, and I'm definitely in a time crunch.  So, hair afire.  I've got a breather right now, and I'll go down to check on my runs in a bit.

Chewie was having trouble breathing this weekend -- I noticed when I got home on Friday, that basically he was having to expend more effort to breathe.  DH took him to the vet this morning and they pulled off some fluid from around his lungs.  More testing will determine what the fluid is, but none of the web diagnoses (we all do that, right?) looked good.  He's probably somewhere around 12 years old, and my uneducated bet is heart failure.  I hope I'm wrong and it's something we can manage, but we'll see.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - I'm sorry Chewie is having problems. It's hard to have an older pet, there is so little you can do. Good luck getting your work all done.

Quiet weekend, as usual, especially with the rain. I ran 9 easy today. Allergies were bad because of the wind, and my glutes were acting up, but otherwise it was a good run.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, no, Hope. Hoping he is doing better. Sad

Ginny, nice 9. Hoping the lungs are breathing better now.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, they pulled out 250 mL of fluid from Chewie's chest and sent it off for analysis.  Once we know what it is, we'll know if there's anything we can do.  He didn't just perk right back up, so I honestly don't know if he's more comfortable or not.  Sigh.

Docket_Rocket

Keep us posted with the results, please.

Ran to and from PT for 5 tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

We let Chewie go yesterday.  

Docket_Rocket

Oh no, HopesMom. I am so sorry. Sad

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - I'm so sorry. This was very sudden. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a beloved pet.

Singer who runs a smidge

It was incredibly sudden, at least to us.  Cats are so good at hiding their symptoms, though, so who knows how long he'd been ailing.  Still, we loved him for 14 years, and we'll be sad for quite a while, but it'll be ok.

I'm definitely looking forward to the weekend, I need to sleep in tomorrow!!  We had trouble waking Dusty up this morning -- DH had to scratch him, call his name several times, and so on.  Of course we both freaked out, but apparently DH took him for kind of a long walk yesterday, and he was just REALLY tired!  

Docket_Rocket

Cats are too sneaky and good to hide them until they can't anymore. I wish we could be able to detect their illnesses before it's too late. It took me a while to recover from Bugsy dying in my arms. I wished I was a vet at that moment. Hugs, Hope.

I am off today and went to get a massage, have Pilates and 6 later.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - the episode with Dusty must have been scary. We have a neighbor whose 15 year old dog is out front on an e-collar a lot. One day when I was running by, another neighbor called me over and said he thought the dog had died because she hadn't moved at all. We talked for a few minutes and then I walked past her and rang the bell. No answer (kids were taking classes online). I walked back and we chatted a few more minutes. Finally Ella woke up. I was very relieved, as this was shortly after we lost Ben. I spoke with her owner a few days later and she said that as Ella gets older, her sleep gets deeper and deeper, but the fact that I could walk past her without waking her up and go to the door meant she was really out of it.

I wanted to go for a hike today as it was sunny and 70. I like avoiding weekend crowds on the trail. Unfortunately, Jim had errands he wanted to do, so I ran instead. Mentally I was not ready for the run, so my body resisted. Still, I got it done.

Singer who runs a smidge

I have a whole list of things I'm doing today including laundry, bread baking, making a pineapple upside down cake, housecleaning, some mending, etc.  I think DH may beat me in productivity, though, he'd had the stove out to work on the flaky control panel, so he put it all back together (washing it down as he went), worked on my (maybe broken) bread machine, and is now trying to get some of the cat fur out of the blanket from Chewbacca's bed.  We'll be fine in time, just letting each day be whatever it is.  It's ok.

I had actually logged onto my computer intending to customize our veggie order for this week, but the newsletter hasn't come out yet, so I guess I'll be doing that tomorrow.  See y'all tomorrow, and have a great weekend!!

GinnyinPA

I spent the day redoing our lawn, which meant a trip to Lowes to get more topsoil (our ground is all rocks) then spreading it then sending Jim to get more bags (still not enough) then spreading that then seeding it and then raking the whole thing, while picking out the larger rocks and clumps of dead grass and weeds. It was not fun, but I got it done. It won't be professional quality, but hopefully we'll get something growing there besides weeds. Jim intended to put up some new outside lights, but is having a hard time with them so that may get done tomorrow. The old ones are off the walls, so that is progress of a sort. They were very old and had become very ugly.