Beginners and Beyond

Get Up Off That Thing, TUESDAILIES! (Read 259 times)

Chairman

Popping in to say hi. I had a very good run today. Probably my best since injury. 5.2 miles with my fastest mile being an 8:34. Building up my base. Smile I start swimming tonight. Oh boy!!

Very good.  Sounds like you are on track for that 10k you wanted to run this Spring.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Nevrgivup

Very good.  Sounds like you are on track for that 10k you wanted to run this Spring.

I'm still debating it. I've still got plenty of time to sign up. Its a hilly course so definitely not a PR. I may still run it for fun though. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

runmomto3boys

Lily: happy birthday to your DS! Hilary: what a great run!!
        Nevrgivup

Lily: happy birthday to your DS! Hilary: what a great run!!

Thanks Heidi. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

StepbyStep-SH

Lily - Happy birthday to your special young man! Even if he still leaves you "in the dark" at times.

Zithromax - check.

Mucinex - check.

Resting today - check.

Feeling better - TBD.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Hi guys!  2 miles for me this morning.

The Ice Storm- boy, do I remember that!  We got walloped here in Maine, too.  We lost power for ages- my then 4-year-old brother fell down some stairs onto a basement floor while he, my mom, and a couple of other siblings were staying with friends who had a generator.  Because doctor's offices were closed, my parents took him to the ER- where they were told that if they'd wasted any time with a dr's office first, he would certainly have died.  As it was, when they took him into surgery, the staff told my parents that if he didn't die, he would have brain damage.  Well, he didn't die, and miraculously, he didn't end up with brain damage either.   In fact, he's now a strapping 6' 3" red headed young man.  : )  (I'd post a pic I have of him and I but I can't remember how to do it.)   When we brought him home from the hospital after a week or so, my dad had managed to get a generator (wasn't easy!  Also wasn't easy to get oil lanterns, oil, etc.  I don't remember how he got a hold of a generator.).  When neighbors in our town saw the power workers working on the lines (which were down everywhere), they asked them to make restoring power to our house a priority because of the little boy recovering from brain surgery.  As it was, we were still without power for weeks.

My intro to the storm was when I was woken in the night  by my parents bursting into my room on the third floor in the middle of the night (I was a teenager then)- they had heard a branch hit the house and thought it came through the roof.  Turned out it had banged all the way down the side of the house, then came through the kitchen window.  I can remember staying out in the driveway to clear fallen branches so my dad would be able to pull in when he got home one night during the storm, and running for the house when I'd hear branches start to fall.  The trees were broken all over the yard.  With the ice on them, they were pretty in a grisly sort of way.  I remember all the people in town going to the fire station with buckets to get water and I remember my boss (I worked at a horse farm then) taking her pickup truck with barrels in the back to the fire station to get water so we could water the horses.  I remember being organized into groups so we could go door to door to the houses of everyone in town to check on people- we found one couple that were snowed in, the husband had a broken leg and was sick and the wife couldn't get out to get help.  They were almost out of wood and were trying to heat the house with a little bit of green wood they had.  I remember walking to the little store down the road every day to get a newspaper (the only way of getting an update!) and running for it when I'd hear branches breaking overhead.  Wasn't really safe to be out, but it was better than not knowing what was going on.

Well, thanks for the reminisce!  ; )  And happy birthday to your Ice Storm baby, Lily!  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

@runjerseygirl

30 minutes of torture Pilates done.  It was the first class of the new year, and our instructor remembered.  My ass has been thoroughly kicked.

Do you even run?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, he's 15 already, Lily! Before you know it, you'll be a grandmother! Wink  Happy birthday to your DS!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hi everyone.  9.18 miles for me this morning with 8x8sec hill sprints.  I hadn't  been able to do any hill sprints for a while because of the conditions, so it felt good to get them in again.  We're actually supposed to get up to 60 by Saturday, so I'm really hoping the snow will finally all melt.  I don't mind running exclusively in the road, but lots of drivers don't seem too fond of it.

Lily...Great story.  Happy birthday to your young one.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

SIAR, to answer your question from last night regarding the reps, it took time before I was able to do ten of each exercise on each side, let alone twenty.  There were a few of them where depending on the side, I could only do five.

Hip strength is weird, it's not something I ever worked on and it showed.  Ultimately, I hope to work my way up to 50 reps of each.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Since today's weather is nice, and tomorrow's going to be a busy day (and a rainy day), I decided to do my intervals today.

5 miles total with 2X1 mile at 8:29 and 8:22 respectively. Also did a Moth finish with the last 0.1 mile at around 7:00 pace. Overall pace, 8:50. A good run!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Scott, I hope that resting helps your knee.

kristin10185, that workout sounds good for your ITB.

flatrunner, great job doing the 5 before the day was fully underway.

Baboon, I'm happy that you can remain active.

Damaris, I hope that the shot is more comfortable this week and that you enjoy your run.

Shari, I hope that the discomfort abates.

c0derunner, AprilRunner, scottydawg, Just B.S., enjoy your runs.

Kay, I'm glad Pilates was a real workout.

lilac_jive, have a great workout.

rkymtnanna, great job running before work.

Robert, have an excellent core workout.

scrape, 8 is cool. How fast did you do your strides?

Lily, awesome 9.

Hilary, I'm happy to see you running more.

Kristin, a quick run is an amazing wakeup, no?

So_Im_a_Runner, your rocked the hills today.

Tom, sweet!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Lily and Kristin, great stories! Intense.

SIAR, nice hill repeats.

Tom, nice run. I might steal your "fast finish" (that you stole from Moth) for my run again today. I liked doing it last week.

I went to Barnes & Noble on my lunch break (and successfully avoided the cafe, a huge win for me). I ended up buying a really pretty journal (recycled, too) to actually use as a food diary. I try logging what I eat on my phone, but it's so easy to "forget" to log a meal, or just avoid it if I ate a cookie or whatever. I hope that having a tangible item to look at will help. I also bought a "Texts from Last Night" desk calendar.

Today's text: No one intentionally makes bad decisions, just errors in judgment. You have your boyfriend. I have a restraining order from Universal Studios. It's all relative.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

15 years ago to the day, we were struggling through a huge ice storm in this part of the country. Most of Quebec was without electricity for close to a month. The army was called in to help with the crisis.  I lived downtown Montreal, near 3 major hospitals, so that grid never lost power and we were spared the horror of having to wash in cold water (I hate cold water). On Jan. 8th 1998, I gave birth to the most beautiful little baby boy ever born in this province. A transformer blew loudly beside our house just as I was telling my husband that it was time to go to the hospital. And the power went off for 10 minutes while I was working (in a windowless room) to help this baby make his entrance in the world. He was born in style! :-) Tonight, we celebrate my young man's 15th birthday.

Got up at 5am to run 9 miles on the TM, including 3x1600m @ 8.7mph. After four waffles with maple syrup I am still starving. Is it lunch time yet?

Happy birthday to your little man, Lily!

I have a '98 baby, too.  She'll be 15 in May.  It's a bumpy ride with teens, but 110% worth it!

Angela 

LRB

scrape, 8 is cool. How fast did you do your strides?

Not as fast as me I bet:

MTA: I picked up a few lbs over the holidays.  Ignore that.