Beginners and Beyond

I Did It! My First Sub-20:00 5k! (Read 125 times)

LRB

...It's amazing how just a few months ago you couldn't run. All the rehab, myrtles, monster walks, red band, blue band, black band, etc. All the hard training in that dreary, cold, windy, winter. What an awesome feeling it must be when it all comes together!

Ugh, those damn girly man exercises, you were in the same boat.  Guess there's hope for us after all!

Jan and Beth, I only race to post pics lol!

Zel, it's called running economy.  Daniels dedicates an entire chapter to it and all of his "R" paced workouts emphasizes it.

Cecil, it is a huge load off that's for sure!

Thanks again to everyone!  I am gettin' my drank on and am in no condition to do personals.

Personally though, I would like to.  Cool

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Wow! Amazing amazing job! What an awesome milestone! You kicked serious ass congratulations LRB!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Coastal

Congrats!  Great run!

Buelligan

This thread was a great read.

AwesomeSmile

Love the Half

Congrats on getting the sub 20:00.  I know how good that feels.  I'm always a bit skeptical of my Garmin's instant pace when it shows me approaching a 4:00 mile though.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

• it was entirely possible that I might be able to run much faster than that.  

Congrats Rick, you ran a heck of a race through crowds.  Maybe the frustration of being bottled in allowed you to hit those fast splits.  Glad that you had that moment of realization about what might be possible, it's really amazing to meet a goal and then think "not even close to what I can do next".

You're the guy the rest of the AG will be jealous of if they aren't already Smile

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Congrats on a great race and going sub-20!  That's impressive!

Memo to self: Read Daniels again.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

This is so fantastic! I knew you had been out for a while, and you sure have come back with a vengeance. Your path has been very inspiring to watch. Hope to see you at a race or two this year. Do you have a goal race or two? (sorry if I missed it).

Rse

Wow, and Congrats!

:-)

Fran

LRB

Do you have a goal race or two? (sorry if I missed it).

Hi Kim!  Nice to see you!

Tentatively I'm looking at the Run for Literacy 5k on 4.28 and the Berkley Days 1 mile and 10k on 5.11.

LTH, your posts in the original 19:59 5k or bust thread from four years ago were still there when I joined the thread last year.  It's pretty amazing that you once had that goal.

Jay, I have no idea where I'll end up, but for now the sky is the limit.  Why not!

AmiK, I hadn't thought about it but checking the video of the start, when I got to the first one tenth of a mile mark, the event was already two minutes and thirty seconds old.  So I basically ran down the half field, except the top three who came in at:

16:31

16:38

17:33

That's pretty cool!

Thanks everyone!  I had three glasses of the purple stuff last night lol!

Rubybaby43

enabler

Rick, now I want to know what you ate as well.  I never saw a food pic from you post race.

KLO

more miles = more beer

LRB

Rick, now I want to know what you ate as well.  I never saw a food pic from you post race.

Didn't you catch that, I drank my food lol!

I ended up at Eat at Joe's, which had nothing for me.  I will be making up for that though with my very next meal today, an oven baked Mediterranean sub from Dominoes with extra goodies!  BOING!

happylily

So freakin' cool! So proud of you! Congratulations! You look great!

I know that that's a lot of exclamation marks, but you deserve them all!!! Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

Scrape actually recommended them...well, indirectly.  He actually kicked quite a bit of running game when he posted here.  I would give him a chest pound, but he would probably flip me the bird in return lol!

OMG, congratulations! What a huge accomplishment to hit that sub-20! For a while after my last 5k, I wondered what I could have done if it hadn't been so congested at the beginning of the race, then I finally realized that's part of racing. But I still do wonder what you could have done on a less congested course.

Are those the bumblebee DSTs? It's hard to tell from that angle.