Beginners and Beyond

Don't get bitten by a tick Penguin Weekend (Read 30 times)

Brilliant

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Good luck to Mitch as he runs Tick Ridge this morning!

I'm attempting 19. Say a prayer for me if you are so inclined.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Hog: Best of luck to you and stay vertical!

Brilliant: You can do it. Nice and easy the whole way. Remember, you are building time and mileage on your legs.

As for me, 4 recovery miles done early this morning, still dark, actually. I saw a family of raccoons and they hissed at me. The babies were super cute.  Now we're off to DD2's swim meet and it's potentially a 12 hour day. Then we have tomorrow.  Smile

Hi to all the Pens that follow.

GinnyinPA

Plan calls for 8 marathon pace miles today.  We're heading to Gettysburg so DH and Ben can enjoy the warmer (45 degree) weather too. Weather forecast keeps changing - today was supposed to be sunny and warm while tomorrow should be warmer but cloudy with rain coming in the afternoon.  Instead this morning is cold and cloudy -- though that will probably change after I do my run.  Who knows what tomorrow's long run will be like.

Brilliant - doesn't your plan call for LRs on Sunday?  Or is your race on Saturday?  Good luck on the 19.  Is this your longest so far on this cycle?  I always stress out when I jump to a new milestone.  But since you've already run a marathon, at least you know you can do it.

Jack - good job on the very early run.  I enjoy raccoons - as long as they stay out of my garbage cans.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  Four planned for a bit later today.  Sadly I think it will still be on the TM because there are large patches of sidewalk where business owners etc. have failed to deal with the snow/slush and now it is ice.

I'm almost done reading Hanson's - it seems like a plan that would fit my life style slightly better than more traditional plans.  More spaced out mileage, slightly less on the weekends compared to other plans.  That said, I still have a lot of time to decide on things.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning, 6 more done this morning.

Good Luck Mitch!

Good luck on your 19 Brilliant, I've got 20 tomorrow then it's all downhill from there.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning.  You are must be an early riser Brill.  Thanks for starting and good luck with the LR.

Good luck to DD2, Jack.

Safe trip, Ginny and have a good 8.   Never been to Gettysburg.

Have a good 4 Sapf.  Hope they clear the sidewalks soon.

Waiting for DW to finish Curves. Saturday morning is not a good time to run the tracks, so we will run the streets this morning.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning PAD.  Good luck with the 20.

Zelanie

Good luck Mitch, Brilliant, PAD!

I ended up running 7 with a friend last night, so probably just 4 for me today.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6.66 with hubby and heavy weights done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 through the neighborhood with wifey.  40* and sunny.  Nice run around the potholes.

Heading into the city for pizza with the DD's and SIL.  Great start to this weeks weight loss challenge.

tracilynn

Wow. We've got some big runs up in the igloo. Well wishes to everyone!

rest day for me and I have 9 tomorrow if my RT ITB will allow it.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Wow. We've got some big runs up in the igloo. Well wishes to everyone!

rest day for me and I have 9 tomorrow if my RT ITB will allow it.

^ This. Holy Moly on 19 and 20!!

I think I need to get back into ITB strengthening. It used to flair up when I started adding mileage. At first it would bite about 3 miles, than 4, than 5 and eventually stopped after I worked suggested ITB exercises. I ran 5 this morning and it started growling again at 3 miles. I'm nervous about the planned12 tomorrow. I've been so fortunate to stay injury free and want to keep it that way.

I think it was you, Traci, that posted ITB info within the last week. I'm going to check it out and think I'll buy a roller today. (Found the posted convesation between Lauren and Traci regardig excercises -- LOVE this place! Thanks, Gals!)

Enjoying a beautiful day with a teasing forecast in the 60's. It was nice to get a run in this morning at 40 degrees with no vaseline smeared all over my face.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

hog4life

Holy moly that 25k was tuff. Lots of hills and beautiful scenery. I finished in 3:05. I'll get a RR up later.

Brilliant

I'm back!  19.1 done in 3:45.  I tried to consciously slow down my running pace and only walk 1-2 minutes on each mile.  I feel OK, although I'm afraid if I go take the nap I desperately want, I won't be able to walk again when I get up!

Jack, I started in the dark, too, but didn't see anything cute until much later when the dog walkers hit the trail.  (the dogs are cute, not the walkers...)

PAD, good luck tomorrow!

Traci, it makes me smile every time someone refers to our threads as the "igloo"  Smile

Ginny, I'm trying to follow HIgdon who schedules Sunday LRs, but I prefer to do them on Saturday most weeks, so I modified the schedule.

Sapf, I've read the Hansons' book and came *so* close to following their plan but I got advice here on RA that Higdon's was better for beginning marathoners.  That said - slogging it out for 19 miles at a penguin pace is really hard.  I know I need time on my legs, but 4 hours!?  Next time (if there is one) I'm going to give Hansons a try.  I don't think I'll mind the cumulative hard mileage as much as the ponderously slow long runs.

Jerry, I became an early riser when I started running 3 1/2 years ago!  (and I remember thinking at the time, "Why don't I find a hobby that doesn't require a 5:30AM wake up on Saturdays!")   Glad you had a nice run with DW.

Docket, nice running with hubby!

Zel, hope you have a good easy 4 later.

Mitch, I'm excited to see your RR!

Kathleen, I'm afraid to ask what the Vaseline is for?