Beginners and Beyond

Missed you guys....and a brief RR for my first half marathon (Updated with pics) (Read 151 times)

Dr. Cornsitter

Good Morning all!

It's been awhile since I've posted or commented here or over at RW, for a number of reasons:

1.  Work became very stressful and trying to keep up in between tasks was an impossibility.

2. Our family had a devastating emergency just before Christmas that changed all of our holiday plans and required much more travel for several weeks. My brother's wife lost their baby at 25 weeks and my sister-in-law was in the ICU for a few weeks She is fine and healthy now, but it was tremendously terrifying for our family for awhile.

3. I took a two vacations in the month of January--one planned and one unplanned--both of which kept me away from the forum boards.

4. I started a new job also at the beginning of this month.

5. I have been looking for a new place to live for my son and I, as my current situation has become less than desirable. I think I finally found a place for April 1st. Fingers crossed.

6. I've been not training as I should've been for this first half marathon of mine and I couldn't do much to get back on track. So I was avoiding the guilt I felt over that by avoiding the very community that would've helped me stay on track. Dumb, right? lol

But, alas. Here I am. I signed up for and promised myself I would complete the Hyannis Half Marathon (Cape Cod, Massachusetts) this month and I was determined to do it. So, despite a severe lapse in training, and knowing I wouldn't get the time I wanted, I dragged my ass (and my sister's) to the starting line and ran it in 2:34:14.

Conditions were very dicey. That sadist Mother Nature was looking to wallop NE with it's third snow storm in as many weeks, threatening the race altogether. But a shift in the storm changed snow to rain on the Cape and the race didn't get canceled, thankfully. But MAN was it cold and wet. It was in the low forties for temps, witha very steady, cold rain the entire race. I had packed no waterfproof gear (bc I am an idiot) so I ran knowing I was going to be soaked. The course iteself was pretty flat, with only a few gentle hills and lots of beautiful beach and NE scenery. So, despite the weather, it was a gorgeous run. I gre up in that town where the race was, but saw things I have never noticed and ran on roads I didn't even know existed.

The first ten miles were amazing. I felt like a champion. I felt like I could lap the race and join the marathoners! Okay, so not really, but in my head I kept saying, "Go me! Go us! Hell yeah!" My sister (who has had three children and has less bladder control than she once did) made us stop at a port-a-potty and we had to wait SIX WHOLE MINUTES for her to use it at mile 4ish. I was a little annoyed but decided in the end, since this is my first half marathon, I wasn't gonna sweat it or give her a hard time.

At mile 10 on the dot, I started to drag. It quickly became apparent that training more thoroughly would've helped me immensely. My arms got stiff and uncomfortable and my right calf went numb. My hips got tight, too.  I couldn't tell if it was lack of training (the most likely problem) or the stress of everything else going on, or the fact I stayed out until 1:00am drinking with friends, or any number of other reasons. But it all caught up. But I kept running. I kept throwing one foot in front of the other. The last 5K was dotted with momentary bursts of mental and physical energy but in general, they were the most difficult of the race. And once we hit the corner where we could spot the finish line, I summoned my last little bit of strength and ran like I was winning the damn race.

It felt great. I needed that race. I needed to get some sort of sense of accomplishment. The last few months have been a nightmare and I needed to have one thing that I could feel good about. I beat myself up for not training better. I dreaded the aftermath of running a half without proper training. And I was disappointed that I had not made training and this race a priority. But the moment I crossed that finish line, I felt like finally, FINALLY I have something that is mine, that I did, that I achieved. And what's great is now I have a starting point. I have a time I know I can beat next time. I have the experience under my belt. I know I can do this. So I know the next one will be even better.

At about mile 7, my sister turned to me and asked, "Which are the hardest miles for half marathoners?" I thought for a moment and responded, "Depends on the course, and the runner."

I thought a min or two longer and then said, "I think the most difficult miles are the ones still ahead of you," and then laughed.

At the time, mid-race, that's how I felt. But in retrospect, I truly believe the most difficult miles are behind me. I'll pray that those to come are the swiftest, the smoothest, and the most rewarding.

Glad to be back, guys Smile

Amy

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks for checking in. Congrats on finishing your first half!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

Hi Amy, sorry life's been so topsy turvy for you, but I'm glad you did the HM anyway.  I swear, sometimes my running is the only thing keeping me sane (or as sane as I am anyway.)  You and your sister did really fantastic especially given you all didn't train the way  you wanted.  Congratulations to you for a great race and hopefully things will go a bit smoother for a bit!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Sorry life has been hard on you and your family.  Hope your SIL is doing better.

Congrats on your first!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Pinktastic

Amy - Congrats on a great run despite everything else going on in your life!!   May the rest of your 2013 be stress-free and peaceful!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

runmomto3boys

I'm sorry that you and your family have had a rough go of it as of late, but I'm glad you popped in with your report. Congrats on finishing the HM!  OMG - that potty break would've driven me mad, though!  6 minutes probably felt like a lifetime in the middle of a race!!  I know the going got tough at the end of the race, but you pushed through!  Well done!

Love the Half

I usually think running a race when you are unprepared is a bad idea but on rare occasions, it can serve the very needed purpose of reminding ourselves that we haven't lost the ability to run despite our lack of training (regardless of the reason for the lack of training).  There is something cathartic about knowing you can move your body 13 miles when the reality is that not too many people can.  Nice job of getting back out there.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

Congrats after finishing that one with all that you have going on, plus the tough conditions. I stayed down there also and hung out with friends. I loved the course and didn't think that it was all that hilly either. The hill that people talk about before mile 8 was smaller than I thought it would be, and heard 1 guy complain that were more hills than he expected which I thought was funny. I ran 2:09, and plan on running there again. Nice race report also!!

Dr. Cornsitter

RSX, will you doing Johnny Kelley in May as part of the Cape Cod half series? I'm thinking about doing it and actually training in earnest this time. Thirteen weeks of focus would shave a signficant amount of time off, for me (that and ditching my sister in the bouse house Smile)

LRB

Sorry for your families loss.  Welcome back!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm glad you were able to use this race to mark the start of better days for you. Congrats on finishing through some tough conditions, mental and physical.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

RSX

RSX, will you doing Johnny Kelley in May as part of the Cape Cod half series? I'm thinking about doing it and actually training in earnest this time. Thirteen weeks of focus would shave a signficant amount of time off, for me (that and ditching my sister in the bouse house Smile)

I think you will shave a significant chunk of time easily if for no other reason that the weather has to be better. I also believe that running is part mental which includes your confidence in finishing on such a bad day. Is it the same course?

No I won't be signing up. I hope to do a summer marathon, and I haven't been able to shake a hip flexor injury so want to rest it more until I start my long runs again in April. Good luck with your training .

Dr. Cornsitter

Johnny Kelley laps some of the same streets but varies slightly. The third half in the Cape series is the Cape Cod marathon in the fall, which is in Falmouth and is apparently very scenic, but more challenging. If I sign up for the May race, I'll definitely have to do the fall one and complete the series within the same year. But the May race is TBD, even though the conditions can't be anything but an improvement over yesterday, lol.

RSX

Johnny Kelley laps some of the same streets but varies slightly. The third half in the Cape series is the Cape Cod marathon in the fall, which is in Falmouth and is apparently very scenic, but more challenging. If I sign up for the May race, I'll definitely have to do the fall one and complete the series within the same year. But the May race is TBD, even though the conditions can't be anything but an improvement over yesterday, lol.

I have run the Cape Marathon twice and love Falmouth. The course itself is actually tougher than Boston because of the hills, but is very scenic. Both times I finished they said my name which I think is very cool.

Rondog65

Congrats Amy on running your first Half Marathon and a great report.  I also had the cold and soggy experience of this being my first half.  I am training to complete all three of the Cape Cod Half Marathon Trilogy and earn the 2013 jacket.  Race #2 is The Great Hyannis John Kelley Half Marathon; 5/26/2013.  Race #3 is the Harwich Cranberry Half Marathon; 10/06/2013.

RSX we probably stomped our way through some of the same large puddles during the race.  The cold rain made it a challenge, but it didn't snow.  Congrats on completing the local marathons, someday I may be able to accomplish that.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)