Beginners and Beyond

Missed you guys....and a brief RR for my first half marathon (Updated with pics) (Read 151 times)

RSX

Congrats Amy on running your first Half Marathon and a great report.  I also had the cold and soggy experience of this being my first half.  I am training to complete all three of the Cape Cod Half Marathon Trilogy and earn the 2013 jacket.  Race #2 is The Great Hyannis John Kelley Half Marathon; 5/26/2013.  Race #3 is the Harwich Cranberry Half Marathon; 10/06/2013.

RSX we probably stomped our way through some of the same large puddles during the race.  The cold rain made it a challenge, but it didn't snow.  Congrats on completing the local marathons, someday I may be able to accomplish that.

Thanks. The only bigger puddles I ever saw were in Falmouth. I did it 11 times lining up corrals as a volunteer, and running when they left which was a blast. The first year I ran it was 99 and it poored. There were a few deep puddles that day.

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

Johnny Kelley laps some of the same streets but varies slightly. The third half in the Cape series is the Cape Cod marathon in the fall, which is in Falmouth and is apparently very scenic, but more challenging. If I sign up for the May race, I'll definitely have to do the fall one and complete the series within the same year. But the May race is TBD, even though the conditions can't be anything but an improvement over yesterday, lol.

If you decide to do a different fall half, I'm doing Twin Lights - http://www.twinlightshalfmarathon.com/site7/.

Congrats on your first (and not last) HM!  Good to get the bad conditions out on the first, because that means all the rest have to be perfect, right?  Right?

Dr. Cornsitter

SFR, that looks like a GORGEOUS run. Unfortunately, that's the weekend we will be having a a memorial for my niece, so I will be up in Maine. Best of luck in your race! Maybe you can join me on the Cape for a race???

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

SFR, that looks like a GORGEOUS run. Unfortunately, that's the weekend we will be having a a memorial for my niece, so I will be up in Maine. Best of luck in your race! Maybe you can join me on the Cape for a race???

Hugs and hopes for a good memorial for your niece.

As for the cape, I am considering the cape code marathon (perhaps even the chowdah challenge Shocked ) in October - http://www.capecodmarathon.com/chowdah.php

Dr. Cornsitter

I'm doing Harwich Cranberry Half on 9/29. Never really go to Harwich, so it should be nice to see the sights :-)

delicate flower

Congrats on finishing your first HM, BeachRunner!  Man, that's a quite a bowl of matzoh balls you've had to deal with.  I can see how HM training would take a hit.

<3

Dr. Cornsitter

Haha, I didn't mean to focus on the negative stuff. I meant to point out that I felt great doing this half and am totally taking a positive approach to trainign for the next one  (and everythign else going on).

This was supposed to be a happy story!! lol

RSX

Haha, I didn't mean to focus on the negative stuff. I meant to point out that I felt great doing this half and am totally taking a positive approach to trainign for the next one  (and everythign else going on).

This was supposed to be a happy story!! lol

I did see the positive side of your post as well. My only negative is that someone called me an a-hole. I saw Gatorade at mile 12 and cut someone off who was near the table which I don't think I ever did before. I immediately apologized but it was apparently too late.

happylily

Congratulations on your first HM! Woohoo! And a big hug to you for your loss... So sorry.

Welcome back and happy running!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Dr. Cornsitter

I did see the positive side of your post as well. My only negative is that someone called me an a-hole. I saw Gatorade at mile 12 and cut someone off who was near the table which I don't think I ever did before. I immediately apologized but it was apparently too late.

Haha, oh man! I'm sure the apology went a long way, at least. If they weren't gracious enough to accept the apology, you should've tripped them and really earned their ire!

I think I am signing up for the Johnny Kelley, too. Perhaps we can split a post-race banana!

(Oh my, that sounded....odd)

RSX

Haha, oh man! I'm sure the apology went a long way, at least. If they weren't gracious enough to accept the apology, you should've tripped them and really earned their ire!

I think I am signing up for the Johnny Kelley, too. Perhaps we can split a post-race banana!

(Oh my, that sounded....odd)

That's funny and I can honestly say that no one else has made the same offer.

I'm not sure she ever heard the apology as she was pretty loud. It did make me run faster though.

Dr. Cornsitter

That's funny and I can honestly say that no one else has made the same offer.

I'm not sure she ever heard the apology as she was pretty loud. It did make me run faster though.

Then I would be honored if you chose to share your banana with me. It's a very special an intimate gesture.

RSX

Then I would be honored if you chose to share your banana with me. It's a very special an intimate gesture.

My wife won't let me run races anymore

Dr. Cornsitter

My wife won't let me run races anymore

Smart cookie, that lady Big grin Post-race fruit can be the downfall of many a good marriage!!

WHERE IS THAT DANG DANCING BANANA WHEN YOU NEED ONE??? lol

RSX

Smart cookie, that lady Big grin Post-race fruit can be the downfall of many a good marriage!!

WHERE IS THAT DANG DANCING BANANA WHEN YOU NEED ONE??? lol

Did you stay for the band? We saw 2 sets maybe. They were good but the place was pretty empty. I'm guessing most people wanted to get a jump on the storm.