Beginners and Beyond

I hopped on the pull-up bar for the first time in over a year today..... (Read 74 times)

Will run for scenery.

Man, you wanna see some freaky-ass pullup skills ? Find a rock climber !

I like to do trail work in the summer.  One year there were a bunch of climbers.  After a day of work, these jokers lash a rock bar (Iron bar used for levering up boulders) between two trees and start doing pull-ups until dinner.  It was super-precise, robotic.  Lift on the left, then move horizontally right, then down.  Reverse.  Hands together.  Hands apart.  It was like little kids doing yo-yo tricks.  And build-wise, they were all finger strength, then upper body, then reach.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Actually, it's as much or more lats, than it is arms.  Unless you're less than 6 inches thick those boards are going to be an obstacle as well.  Your head has to clear the bar, which means you're not going to travel a perfectly straight line.  I guess if your head could split in two that would be possible.

Let's be clear about "pull-ups."  I'll bet there aren't 10 people on the planet who can do more than 20 true pull-ups.  A "true" pull-up means legs straight, body straight, and pull straight up with the arms.  You can put boards three inches to the front and back of the person and no part of the body should touch.  Ain't no cross fit kip ups which primarily exercise the momentum muscle.  Good luck finding that one in an anatomy book.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013