Beginners and Beyond

Ides of March Dailies (Read 22 times)

Cyberic

My English / History isn’t strong enough to catch the joke.

I ran 1:59 since I’m off work today. It was cold (4 degrees F, sub 0 windchill) but I did a great job at dressing just right. 13.9 miles.

Off, at most it would have been just a 2.5 flat workday run.
        Had another bout of insane night cramps at 10pm last night, was just getting off the couch to go to bed.  Lower half of the gracilis and/or abductor magnus? Not sure which.... what can I say, I’m old and my x-ray vision isn’t what it used to be.

Thinking about it the first night cramp actually happened four years ago; the silliest most ridiculous cramp I ever had... a tiny ribbon of muscle the runs from the inside of the lower thighs and across to the hip...tiny little muscle trying to move the whole leg.

The good news is, at least so far, is I have not had repeats of the same muscle having ‘night cramps’.... so maybe the entrapped nerves are releasing one little section at a time.

Cyberic

In gear related news, my Saucony Endorphin Shift (the trainers of the Endorphin line) have clocked 1000 miles on this morning’s run. Out of all the shoes I’ve had, this is only the second time I’ve been able to get that much out of a pair of shoes. I typically get between 500 and 600 miles out of trainers, and less than that out of faster shoes.

My English / History isn’t strong enough to catch the joke.

I ran 1:59 since I’m off work today. It was cold (4 degrees F, sub 0 windchill) but I did a great job at dressing just right. 13.9 miles.

Shakespeare's tragedy Julius Caesar(1599). The warning is uttered by a soothsayer who is letting Roman leader Julius Caesar know that his life is in danger, and he should probably stay home and be careful when March 15th, the Ides of March, rolls around....

March 15th, 44 BC, the real Julius Caesar was violently murdered, stabbed 23 times by a mob of senators who were led by his protégés and supposed 'friends' Cassius and Brutus ('Et tu, Brute?')

https://study.com/academy/lesson/beware-the-ides-of-march-quote-meaning-quiz.html

LRB

In gear related news, my Saucony Endorphin Shift (the trainers of the Endorphin line) have clocked 1000 miles on this morning’s run. Out of all the shoes I’ve had, this is only the second time I’ve been able to get that much out of a pair of shoes. I typically get between 500 and 600 miles out of trainers, and less than that out of faster shoes.

Impressive. Anything I've run in that reached 400 miles usually had completely worn out parts and were curled up like clown shoes by that point, couldn't imagine doubling that and then adding 200. 🤯

In related news, I've run enough in the Infinity Flyknits that I feel confident I've found a more than suitable replacement for a daily trainer. In fact, anytime I run in any other shoe now I hate it.

Docket_Rocket

Morning. I have a rest day so I will lift and also do a bit of Pilates.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

In related news, I've run enough in the Infinity Flyknits that I feel confident I've found a more than suitable replacement for a daily trainer. In fact, anytime I run in any other shoe now I hate it.

on Thanksgiving I knocked a coffee cup off of the counter and it fell on my pinky toe.  Since then I haven't been able to wear the Infinity or the Pegasus Turbos - that toe starts hurting when I put them on... I think it pushes on it slightly.  Whereas it's fine in the Brooks Ghost. So I quit wearing those two models completely.  I suppose I should try them again as I haven't for like a month but I can still feel that toe when I put on other (non-running) shoes

What happens to let you know shoes are worn out? I always see people say they get xx miles out of a pair of shoes. I can never tell; a shoe with 500 miles feels exactly the same as one with zero miles to me. I just automatically change them after 500-550 miles.

Dave

onemile

wow you are still getting those temps?  I will not complain about 30 degrees with 20+mph wind at all

7 miles.

Dave

sdWhiskers

What happens to let you know shoes are worn out? I always see people say they get xx miles out of a pair of shoes. I can never tell; a shoe with 500 miles feels exactly the same as one with zero miles to me. I just automatically change them after 500-550 miles.

I don't track shoe miles, instead I look at the wear on the tread.

Cyberic

I've never hit the point where the exterior of the shoe let me down. I retire shoes when they get uncomfortable or I feel a foot pain when I run in them, or something like that. I have retired shoes with 10 miles on them. Just not for me.

I manage that by having a big shoe rotation. When I suspect a shoe is starting to give me problems, I stop wearing them for a bit, and then I try them again. If the annoyance/pain comes back, it's the shoes.

For you, since you always run in the same shoes, it would be very easy for me. Say when your shoes hit 450 miles, I'd break out another pair and get maybe in 20 miles on the new ones. Then switch back to the old ones. If they feel fine, go to 500, and try the new one for a run or two. Come back to the old ones, if they feel fine, go for another 50. And so on... After a while, you'll feel better in the new shoes and won't feel like running in the old ones anymore. You'll know why.

Cyberic

Shakespeare's tragedy Julius Caesar(1599). The warning is uttered by a soothsayer who is letting Roman leader Julius Caesar know that his life is in danger, and he should probably stay home and be careful when March 15th, the Ides of March, rolls around....

March 15th, 44 BC, the real Julius Caesar was violently murdered, stabbed 23 times by a mob of senators who were led by his protégés and supposed 'friends' Cassius and Brutus ('Et tu, Brute?')

https://study.com/academy/lesson/beware-the-ides-of-march-quote-meaning-quiz.html

Thanks!

LRB

I don't track shoe miles, instead I look at the wear on the tread.

The area around the inside ankle wears out on my running and non-running shoes for some reason. Like bad.