Beginners and Beyond

Week 17: Penguins are out there slaying dragons!! (04/22-04/28) (Read 8 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I cannot believe we're almost at the end of April.  I had chorus coaching on Saturday, which is always both exhausting and energizing.  Did laundry on Sunday and got out in the garden for some weeding (basically all we grew last year was weeds) (and the year before, I think) (I'm hoping for actual flowers this year).  DH had some shingles come up off his mini-barn roof, so I was the deadweight on the bottom of the ladder while he climbed back up and nailed them back down.  So that was the adventure for the weekend.  Woo-hoo!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - I mowed yesterday, but haven't touched the weeds yet. That would require a lot of squatting, which isn't in the cards yet.  I'm planning to try a short run again this afternoon. Hopefully it will go better than my brief attempt on Saturday. I rolled and self-massaged and put ice on the hamstrings both Saturday and Sunday. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Me either.  Time has flown!

I have 6 and weights tonight.

HopesMom, sounds like a busy weekend.

Ginny, hoping the short run goes well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Evening!  Woke up with some heel pain due to the Altras last night, but Pilates helped a lot.  7 with 2 @ MP on the TM done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Are you a heel striker?  What's up with the switch from Hokas to Altras?

Docket_Rocket

I have always used Altras, Hokas, and Mizunos and go from high drop to low drop easily.  But ever since the knee surgery, I've had issues with getting used to the Altras.  I used to be able to run marathons in them and now they took forever to get used to.  I suspect I stepped wrong (I was running outside) or slipped in the rain since my knee was also achy, rather than the Altras alone.  And yes, I'm mid to heel striker.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I wonder if wandering through those different levels of drop on a regular basis gives you stronger muscles, tendons, ligaments?  Interesting.  Looking at another cloudy/rainy day here.  My instrument is down (some kind of contamination issue) and the guy won't be here to clean it until tomorrow, so I'm catching up on things.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!

GinnyinPA

D - I hope your heel continues to get better. Any chance it's PF?

HM - enjoy your catch up day.

Gray and drizzly here. I'm hoping to do 5 miles after we walk Ben. I don't know whether it will be indoors or out.

Docket_Rocket

Nope, no PF.

I forgot to say I have OTF and 5 miles tonight.

HopesMom, ugh at the contamination issue. I think it helps going from one drop to the other, IMO.

Ginny, enjoy your 5.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Quartet rehearsal was lovely, and now the engineer is here to fix my contamination problem.  When he pulled the source apart, there was definite schmeg, so that's good news.  Makes me feel hopeful that just the front end cleaning will fix the problem, without having to delve deep into the instrument.

Then I had a guy come by regarding his spectra from yesterday, which are also full of schmeg (different instrument).  So I'm trying to track down schmeg sources all over the place!

Annual lecture tonight, so I'll miss chorus.  Oh well ...

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 4 and strides today and then to the airport I go late afternoon...in rush hour traffic...in Miami.  Ugh.

HopesMom, good luck with the lecture tonight.  Boo at missing quartet.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Definitely boo at missing chorus!!  The lecture was interesting science, but not a great speaker.  Oh well, it's once a year.  And thankfully it's Friday!!  Docket, where ya headed this weekend?

Docket_Rocket

Louisville, KY for the KY Derby Marathon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Damaris - good luck this weekend. Have fun.

HM - what was the subject of the lecture?  I hope you have your contamination problem fixed.

Yesterday was a rest/xt day, so we went for a short hike at the state park. Today I'll do some easy miles this afternoon. It's raining, so I'll either wait until it stops or get on the TM.