Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 39 times)

Morning Everyone 

Whatcha got going on?

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Well first track workout in the books. Met up with my friend from the Frequent Racer forum and one of his training partners at a somewhat local track. Plan was to do 6-8 400s at mile pace with 1:00 jog recovery.

Did a short warmup and then hit the 400s

Splits: 1:19, 21, 18, 19, 19, 18

Had a great time!

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 12 miles with 8x4min, 4:45 recoveries (this works out to be 800s for me). I was shooting for 8:00 pace, and pretty much nailed it from the get go.  I did speed up a little for the last few, which doesn't make me feel bad at all.  A couple of years ago, I would have called that 10k pace.  Now, who the fuck knows?  It makes me think I might have a 1:45 HM in me this fall.  I have a few more months to fine tune my thinking.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

No running today. I think. I really need to get the fatigue down and get some bounce back in my step before the 50K in 11 days. I'm thinking maybe even two rest days in a row (tomorrow). I'll see.

Cyberic

Well first track workout in the books. Met up with my friend from the Frequent Racer forum and one of his training partners at a somewhat local track. Plan was to do 6-8 400s at mile pace with 1:00 jog recovery.

Did a short warmup and then hit the 400s

Splits: 1:19, 21, 18, 19, 19, 18

Had a great time!

Fast 400s! Haven't hit the track in like 2 years, but that would be the pace I'd do 200s at, IIRC.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning good people!

Had to squeeze in a morning run today since I'm going to a Columbus Crew soccer game tonight. I'm about an hour and a half from Columbus, so the regular evening run just wasn't an option. I've had more shorter runs than I would like of late, but I'm at least getting my long runs in on the weekend. I've been fighting some knee pain here for a little bit now, so am hoping that continued icing combined with the fact that the runs have been shorter will leave me feeling okay come race day Saturday.

Jay...Glad you enjoyed the track! I've really never done a group track session. I would think the temptation would be to race, but I seem to remember you doing most of your other 400s around 80/81 too, so you must have resisted the urge.

Pleasant...well done on the workout. It's nice to feel like you've hit your paces on all the intervals and that you can still speed up on the last one.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

SIAR - Nice job getting a morning run in.  Knees are my weak spot, so I sympathize and know how they can slow a run.  I hope you get over it soon.

Eric - You may be on the right track to start resting.  With only 11 days left, it's unlikely that any workout you do now would generate a benefit for your race beyond maintaining fitness.

PR - Nice 800s.  Following up on yesterday's conversation, 800s do seem to be the most painful distance for speed training.  I have two track-star nephews and they both say the 800 is their least favorite distance to run or race.

Jay - Those are some fast 400s, especially with short rest periods.  When I was at the track yesterday I saw some people doing 400s, but their rest was standing around, not jogging.  I tend to think jogging rests, as you did, are better.  (At least for me they would be as my old legs would tighten up too quickly if I just stood around.)

AFM - Rest day today, as Wednesdays will be for most of the next four months.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 with hill intervals tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bluerun

Super B****

8 on the AlterG in my new Ghost 10s, so I retired a pair of the 5.  This is what my newest pair of Ghosts looks like compared with the oldest:

What do you think my employer would say if I informed them I will henceforth be arriving an hour late every day because my doctor told me I should get an extra hour of sleep and there is no other way for that to happen?

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

What do you think my employer would say if I informed them I will henceforth be arriving an hour late every day because my doctor told me I should get an extra hour of sleep and there is no other way for that to happen?

If I were your boss, I'd ask you "And why can't you just go to bed 1 hour early ?"

Docket_Rocket

If I were your boss, I'd ask you "And why can't you just go to bed 1 hour early ?"

In my case, I could say, because I'm still working for you at that hour? Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

In my case, I could say, because I'm still working for you at that hour? Smile

"Damaris, do you need an assistant to help you with the overwhelming amount of work you have to do? Would that help you? I'd really hate to lose you to THAT POSITION IN SEATTLE!!!!!!!!"

Docket_Rocket

"Damaris, do you need an assistant to help you with the overwhelming amount of work you have to do? Would that help you? I'd really hate to lose you to THAT POSITION IN SEATTLE!!!!!!!!"

Right? Wink

Assistants?  What are those?  I mean, I have to make copies, exhibits, myself!  Good thing I was a secretary decades ago to do all this stuff but I seriously didn't go to law school to stuff envelopes with motions.

I love when I pick up the phone and people are: hi, can I speak to Damaris?  Yes, it's me...because the government DOES NOT PAY FOR ASSISTANTS. LOL.

I do sound whiny today.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

bluerun

Super B****

It is not possible for me to go to bed any earlier than I already do.  I mean, if all I ever do is go to bed the moment I get home, wake up, go to work, and do it all over again, I may as well just kill myself right now.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Jay - Nice work on the 400's!  Sounded like your shin wasn't an issue (all good?).  Also, speedy!

SIAM - Sorry to hear about your knee.  Hope it's good for your race.  Are you doing any tapering or extra rest for it?  Or just a long hard training run?

blue - I think George Costanza had a nice solution to getting extra sleep.

Docket - Well deserved rest day yesterday.  You killed it with the miles last week, even though our team lost.   When will you hear about the Seattle position?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours