Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies on the 26th (Read 41 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I rode 32 windy miles.  I set PRs on Strava while I was headed NW, but the last few miles were into a 10-15mph headwind. FTSRITF.

Have a great day folks!

Runner with a riding problem.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Is it too early to start weather stalking 20 days out? I could really do without 26moh winds and rain.

5 miles.

Dave

delicate flower

'Morning.  Skipped my swim and slept in this morning.  Good choice.  Run later, and God bless 50 degrees.

Is it too early to start weather stalking 20 days out?

It is never too early!

<3

bluerun

Super B****

25 on the trainer.  May drag myself to the climbing gym tonight to see if I still know how that even works...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I jogged for 55 minutes, during which someone double beeped their horn at me and was waving like crazy. I gave them a subdued thumb up since I had no idea who the hell it was. I mean, the last thing I want is to wave at a weirdo, unless I knew who said weirdo was. lol

zzyzx

I've been plugging away. I couldn't motivate to go out in windy rain/snow mix on Saturday so I did 35 minutes on the elliptical then 12 on the bike (followed by 6 miles of marching). Yesterday was a bike day and today was heavy lifting and bike... I will force myself to run this weekend mind you.

onemile

I've been plugging away. I couldn't motivate to go out in windy rain/snow mix on Saturday so I did 35 minutes on the elliptical then 12 on the bike (followed by 6 miles of marching). Yesterday was a bike day and today was heavy lifting and bike... I will force myself to run this weekend mind you.

Do you usually run once a week?

The hills are in the second half.  The first half is downhill/flat. So you should naturally positive split.  But if you go out too fast, you will hugely positive split. To negative split a course profile like Boston would mean you were able to speed up despite the hills, which means you likely could have gone faster in the first half.

Well I guess this makes sense.

Doesn't Pfitzinger recommend a mild positive split of 1-2 minutes as the optimum for pacing marathons?

I don't remember this, but I haven't read that book in a long time, so could be. To me, as a casual hobbyjogging marathoner, that seems pretty tough to target -- you've gotta really know what your MP is. Anything <2 min is pretty close to even splits, and seems more likely to be a result of an even split attempt. I guess the idea that if you do even/negative split, you probably left a little time out on the course.

I am reminded of the happylily marathon strategy. She often ended up with significant positive splits, but with no regrets. Her theory: "Why would you want to run slow when your body wants to run fast, then run fast when your body wants to run slow?" Hard to argue with that.

Dave

onemile

I am reminded of the happylily marathon strategy. She often ended up with significant positive splits, but with no regrets. Her theory: "Why would you want to run slow when your body wants to run fast, then run fast when your body wants to run slow?" Hard to argue with that.

Not really. The argument is that you lose a ton of time by going out too fast. You'll get a better finish time if you can control your pace in the beginning.

sdWhiskers

Interesting. My body almost always wants to run slow....

bluerun

Super B****

Because marathons are miserable enough experiences without making them even more miserable than they need to be.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Not really. The argument is that you lose a ton of time by going out too fast. You'll get a better finish time if you can control your pace in the beginning.

I'm being facetious. I of course realize that is a terrible marathoning strategy. But of course everyone is free to do whatever the hell they want. I just always thought it was an entertaining explanation/rationalization.

Dave

And it's 9:00 AM, and I'm freaking starving.

Dave

delicate flower

Hard to argue with that.

Grip it and rip it!!

<3