Beginners and Beyond

Happy hump day, Penguins!! (Read 12 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Somehow I feel that title is suggestive.  Well, however you get your jiggy on today, enjoy it!!  I myself will be reading grant proposals, running samples, and then heading home at a normal hour, as both quartet and chorus are taking this week off.  Since I'm still trying to catch up on sleep, I'm happy with that!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's 1:00.  Nobody has posted on my thread.  It's an unhappy hump day. 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hey Pens -  I still have a raging sinus headache.  Blerg.  I'm going to force myself to run very soon.

Z - what's the MRI news?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Haha, I thought the thread title sounded a little naughty too. Smile

Jill, I hope you can run without too much discomfort!

I did a tempo workout this morning.  I am so out of shape!  I have had a lazy 2 months and hope I can pick up the pace without too much pain.

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - enjoy your chance to catch up on rest.  Maybe there will be time for a walk later?

Jill - sorry the sinus headache is lingering.  Hopefully a run will help clear your head.

Allison - Do you have any races planned for this spring?

AFM:  Another cold and windy day.  I'm hoping to talk DH into heading to the state park for a short hike/run in the woods.  I had planned to do a long one, but my hamstrings are not happy with me these days, so I'll keep it short.

Zelanie

Hey guys. I have been sleeping in a bit in the mornings and not getting to post. I am in the waiting room at the doctor's office right now.

Brilliant

Zel, praying for good news and healing for you.

Ginny, no, I don't, which is part of the problem.  I was thinking about turning 49 a few days ago, so this morning after my run I said to my husband, "I need a goal."  Something short term to get me moving, but also I'm thinking something to achieve before I turn 50 next year.  But I have no idea what!  Another marathon attempt? 

I think my whole family is going to register for the Camp Pendleton Mud run (5k and obstacle course) in June, so that's a good short term goal.  2 months to develop some upper body strength to haul myself over the wall.

Zelanie

Brilliant,

Thank you!

One of the things I've been thinking about in terms of goals for myself is just to try a lot of different races along different courses. I haven't been able to get any faster in a couple of yeara, but still want to have something to work towards. So, I'm looking around at local (or even not local) races and picking ones that I would like to experience. That way it's not all built up around getting a specific time or conquering a new distance.

Zelanie

No stress fracture.  Shin splints! So I feel like a bit of an over-reacter. The thing to watch for is that if I have shin splints at this point in the cycle, it could very well become a stress fracture if I don't take care of it.

But the good news is, I can run! Here is the plan:

Running only on soft surfaces, absolutely no TM or concrete.

Don't wear shoes with more than 300 miles.

Aircast during the day when not running.

Daily exercises/ stretching following his plan

One run a week on the Alter G. Probably my interval workout although if it works in their schedule we could make it my LR. Insurance will pay for Alter G because they will call it PT.

So, I theoretically have a MP pace workout tonight. I think it's 10 with 7 @ MP. I haven't run in over 2 weeks. I am so so tempted to just go do it. Maybe at the track for the surface.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sorry HsM, not observing H-Day anymore.

Raining all day, so 2 miles indoors after a trip to the health club.  Now it's time to pack for weekend in Charleston.

Good luck with the Dr. Zel.

Go away, Jill's headache.

Hope you can get back into shape without the pain, Brill.

Have a nice hike, Ginny.

Singer who runs a smidge

Good news, Zel!!  Shin splints sound much better than a stress fracture, although they're probably equally hard to treat.  But it has to feel good to be less wounded than you thought!

Singer who runs a smidge

Jerrry, how is DW treating her ITBS?  Inquiring minds want to know!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerrry, how is DW treating her ITBS?  Inquiring minds want to know!

She goes to Athletico PT 2X a week and they gave her daily exercises to do at home.  Also put Superfeet in her shoes.  Very little running so far and her knee still tweeks sometimes.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Well, I did a whopping 2 miles.  Maybe I'll do more after work if there's an open treadmill... maybe I'll even attempt the interval run I was supposed to do yesterday.  After about 10 minutes of head pounding my sinuses cleared up a bit.  Of course I'd been dreading the run so much I didn't allot adequate time before work to do very much.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)