Beginners and Beyond

Tardy Tuesday Penguins (Read 13 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Hi folks!  Tried out the Monday night group run last night, and I really liked it.  They are mellow, and slow. Smile  Although my new watch has a V02 Max calculator that automatically updates after each run, and let's just say that it really believes in my abilities.  But It also thinks I still need 72 hours recovery time before a hard run when all I've done are easy runs, so what does it know anyway?  Anyway, ran 4 with the group, then kept going for 4 more with a friend.

Ginny- That's exciting that you are so close to BQ, no matter whether you plan to run the race!  Taper well!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Today was the first day my university opened since Snowzilla came to visit, and it's clear that Richmond has much less experience clearing snow than Charlottesville.  We had roads that were a little iffy coming out, but once we got here to Richmond, it got pretty stupid.  Some of the major roads have one lane plowed, but some of the major roads are still only marginal, and the back roads aren't passable at all.  Sheesh, what have the road crews been doing here?  Anyway, we're here and hoping a day of 40's will help before we have to travel home.  DH and Dusty came with me, as DH prefers himself for driving when the roads are bad.  Which means I don't have to drive, so I don't complain!  

Zelanie -- Guessing your new watch doesn't quite know you yet!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - places that aren't used to a lot of snow usually don't have the equipment to deal with it, especially things like front loaders, which you need when you have to get rid of a lot of snow vs. pushing it to one side. Good luck on the trip home. I hope they'll have cleared a bit more of the roads by then.

Z - your watch knows how hard you like to work; it's just encouraging you to do it.

I ran 8.8 through nearby neighborhoods.  The only problem was when I had to get out on the main roads to connect the neighborhoods. They didn't plow the shoulders and there are no sidewalks on our side of town. Fortunately, traffic is still lighter than usual.

Singer who runs a smidge

Geez, the Penguins are REALLY tardy today, aren't they? 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Geez, the Penguins are REALLY tardy today, aren't they? 

Yep. Yesterday I did one mile easy on the treadmill and it had me sweating buckets - conclusion: I am still sick. I feel like I've been sick all damn winter and I'm ready to be better already.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Hi Pens. I'm still alive, just not particularly happy or healthy. I haven't run since Saturday and I have a weird lump on my left foot (looks/feels like extensor tendonitis, doesn't hurt as long as my shoes are laced carefully). And my goddamn ancient watch won't connect to satellites. I would take that as a sign that I need a new watch, but alas, bills, and the pets are due for their yearly rabies vaccines so that takes precedence. I haven't run more than 4 miles in like a month because that's when I start to get hints that if I push any farther my bad calf will start to lock up again. Running sucks and being an adult sucks.