Beginners and Beyond

Some Tuesday penguins'll never lose a toenail, but then again some folks'll (Read 34 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Morning!  I got the "Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel" song in my head this morning, for some reason. Wink  Never had an issue with my toenails last time around, but this time I have one that's down to a little tiny stub of a nail.  Not sure if that counts as "lost" or not.  Rite of passage, right?

My run in the dark last night went well.  RD today, since I have another evening event at school.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Zelanie - I just lost a nail from my big toe. The rest are doing fine.

AFM - I was out of work for 3 months - threw out my back at home shoveling mulch. Anyway, my wife and I did a 5k at the amusement park - set a course PR and 5K PR. This Saturday I hope to reset my PR again on a flat rail trail.

Hope everyone's doing well!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Zel: do you wear a reflective vest or anything bright?

I have 7 miles pace with 6x100 strides.

hi everyone.

Philliefan33

Good morning Mel.  I haven't had toenail issues.  Probably because I don't work hard enough.

So to trend with Mitch's anniversary yesterday, today is our 25th anniversary.  Here's a photo from our trip last week (at the top of Sentinel Dome in Yosemite).  Notice how I make DH carry the pack?  Momma didn't raise no dummy!

7-8 miles at easy pace planned for tonight.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Jack - check out  reflect-a-life. It looks like good quality stuff and dirt cheap. The owner is a runner. I need to order a belt .

Zelanie

Gustav- Good to see you!  Congrats on the PR, and good luck this weekend!  Hope that the back is feeling better!

Jack- Enjoy the pace run!  I have knuckle lights and a reflective vest.  Unfortunately, it's not a running vest, so it's solid instead of mesh.  I really want to get a mesh one, because it's like a sauna in there!  So last night I have to admit I just went with the bright yellow top with one reflective strip instead of the vest.  I stayed to the sidewalk instead of the street as concession.

Margo- Happy anniversary!  Was there a lot of fire damage in Yosemite?

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  When I got home DH was hard at work repairing the lawnmower, so no running yesterday.  We'll see what happens tonight.  So far I have started off each morning this week wishing it were Friday!!

Zelanie -- the only toenail I have ever lost was when I broke my little toe on a doorway.  I believe that lost toenails are due to bad shoes.  We should all be wearing VFF's, or other shoes with actual room for toe splay!  There, that's my soapbox speech.

Gustav -- 3 months?  What a nightmare!!  Glad you're doing better!!

Jack -- enjoy the strides tonight!!

Phillie -- happy anniversary!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

I think mine happened when I first jumped back to 30 MPW after being off for so long.  I did just retire my oldest pair of shoes, which might help.  I'm thinking of trying another 1/2 size up with my next pair maybe.

I think mine happened when I first jumped back to 30 MPW after being off for so long.  I did just retire my oldest pair of shoes, which might help.  I'm thinking of trying another 1/2 size up with my next pair maybe.

Definitely try it.  I'm a women's 11-12, so I think I had just gotten used to shoes that barely accommodated my toes.  When my LRS suggested I try a larger size (in men's of course) it was like night and day.  I'm now wearing a men's 11.5 in running shoes, a full size larger than what the normal conversion would suggest, and loving them.  The down side is that now all my regular shoes feel a little tight.  And since women's 12's are hard to come by and men's dress shoes are so wide, I'm doomed to disappointment.

hog4life

Margo, Happy Anniversary to you and hubby. Yosemite is beautiful, I hope to visit there some day before I'm gone.

Zel, Jack, I got thi little mesh reflective vest from work that works great when I need it. I also wear one or two of the blinking lights. I have a headlamp too that I've recently started wearing. Our weekend running group likes to run out in the country, so there's no street lights.

I got another 5 and change this morning after work. Now it's time for bed. Oh, and thanks for all the compliments yesterday. I think it was Ginny, the bridge is claimed to be the longest pedestrian foot bridge in the world. It's in downtown Chattanooga, TN.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yes, I have a vest, a mesh one. I use it a lot in the hot summer months when I have no choice but to run at night.

PF: happy anniversary and nice picture. That's only about five hours north of me. Since school has started I'm hoping it was not too crowded for you.

Bin Running

I keep having black toes in my right 2nd and 3rd toe. The 3rd has nearly no nail now. I used to it.

Margo, congrats on 25th years. That's amazing.

Place where I am. Theres plenty of street light so reflective is not required.

10M w/ 5@8:10 done. Shirt is off after 1M in tempo.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Bin: nice run!  "Shirt is off..."  Lol, it feels good!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Philliefan - congrats on the 25 !