Beginners and Beyond

I finally ran Boston (Read 204 times)

Goorun

When I was a kid I found my passion in running long distances. I wasn't very good at anything else and being a good runner gave me confidence, mental toughness, pleasure in doing something I love, solitude and calmness of long training runs. By the time I was in my late twenties I've ran a hundreds of races and have won a good share of them. I've ran in some big ones and some big marathons, always thinking that one day, I will compete in the Holy Grail of marathons, but growing up in Europe, it never panned out in my competitive years.

In 1987 our family came to Canada (long story some of you know) and Boston was closer than ever, but I was not a runner anymore. Years went by, I got older, I was more out of shape, gaining weight and having some health issues. In 2009 I had enough and made conscious decision to get back into the shape.  One thing which kept me going was an old goal to run Boston marathon. BQ was never concern for me. I could BQ without training, right of the couch. That is a one talent I have, but if I go, I want to run well, so I started seriously training.  I was in a decent shape last spring, but got injured a few weeks before Eugene marathon. I needed BQ time, so I ran. As a result, I had to take the summer and the fall off and my training for Boston was nowhere close to where it has to be. My wife of 38 years, who has been my biggest supporter and a fan, convinced me, that we should go, have a good time and make it a mini vacation.

We landed in Boston on Saturday and after settling at the house in Jamaica Plain area of Boston where we were staying for the first 5 days, we went to the expo. The expo is huge and it's an experience by it self. Bought the BAA jacket risking the fact, that Floppage might see me in it one day, not knowing how much it would eventually mean to me, because of the circumstances.

Got my bib# and M55 bib which go on the back. Boston is a huge race and competition in AGs is fierce, so top 10 qualifiers in each AG get seeding tag. Now I really wished I was in a shape to actually compete in my AG.  Sunday was a lazy day with the last 4 miles run with some strides and form exercises in the Boston Arboretum. Texted with a few friends, planning for the post race FE and prepared all I would need for the race.

Monday April 15 2013:

Got up at 5 am, had a bowl of oatmeal, grabbed my bag and slowly jogged less that a mile to the Orange Line subway station in Forrest Hills, which I took to Downtown Crossing station with a few other runners. People smiled and we got a lot of good luck wishes. Got my coffee at DD across from Boston Common park (no apple fritterRoll eyes) and got on a bus to Hopkinton. Chatted with a guy from California who was running his first Boston too. It is unbelievable how well is everything organized with the number of runners there. My disappointment with the fact that I'm not in a shape to race well started melting away and I was soaking in the atmosphere of athletes village. With about 15 minutes to go, I changed to my running gear, took my bag to the bus and jogged toward starting line, eventually shedding off my throw away sweat pants and a sweater, the clothes I usually buy at Value Village before bigger races. Maybe I should kept the sweat pants. There were in a better shape that some of my own running clothes.  Walked to my coral and found QuinntheEskimo (David) who is one of L&O regulars (RR written for L&O and BF so I need to put in some notes azzhats in L&O don't need) . He was shooting for sub 2:50 and I was planning to stay with him till the wheels would come off, which is not a smart way to run a marathon, but I was there to have a fun and help QE if I could. Somebody tapped me on the shoulder and we shook the hand. It took me a second to realized it was Fuzzy, so I went back to him, we had a quick chat and it was time to run Boston Marathon.

The race:

after a quick chat with QE I suggested to run 5k segments around 20:15. That would give QE a shot at sub 2:50 without going out too fast and it shouldn't kill me.

0 -  5k 20:17 = 6:31 mpm pace

5 - 10k 20:16 = 6:31 mpm pace

10- 15k 20:10 = 6:29 mpm pace

15- 20k 20:12 = 6:30 mpm pace,  At least I could still pace, but QE started having some problems at this point and is chased by poo-monster into porta-potty and we lose contact.

half 1:25:18 and feeling good, but I know, that the training is not there and I will pay for it soon. My pace started dropping, but I'm having a great time not caring about my finish time. The crowd support is unreal. I high fived a lot of Wellesley girls (no, you don't want to kiss this old dude).

Few pics from the race

myself and QE

20- 25k 20:13 = 6:30 mpm pace, still on pace

25- 30k 21:19 = 6:52 mpm pace, wheels are coming off

30- 35k 21:51 = 7:02 mpm pace, (this is ridiculous, you are better than this)

35- 40k 21:10 = 6:49 mpm pace, QE caught up to me and after a quick chat he leaves me behind

2.195k   9:36 = 7:02 mpm pace, I'm enjoying crowds and the final time is not important (I know I'll be easy under 3 hours).

Finish 2:55:04

Winner of my 55-59 AG ran 2:42:14 (John posts in RWOL in marathon training forum as IRunForBeer)

I finished 12 in my AG. 22 men in my AG ran sub 3 hours in Boston.

I'll be 60 next year (October), everybody who beat me is younger than me. Winner of 60-64 AG ran 2:57:52. My plan was to come back in 2015 and try to win my AG. After what happened, I'll be back in 2014. I will carry flowers from start and stop at the spot when the first bomb went off to lay them down before I cross the finish line and I'm racing it in 2015.

We were done and back at the house when the bombs went off. After the initial shock, we were thinking about leaving asap, but changed our minds. It was the best decision we made. We saw resilience of Boston people, went to the hockey game between Bruins and Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday

, went to Harvard (I'm updating my FB status to "Went to Harvard"),

spend a day wondering through North End where we had a fantastic dinner.

Met our long time virtual friend from L&O Skippy for a beer at Yard House by Fenway.

Mrs. Goo and Skippy

When we woke up on Friday, the Boston was in a lockdown and it looked like, we won't be able to get to the airport and we were OK with that. Whatever it take to get SOB. But we did make it. When one of the people working at the hotel heard that we are stuck there, he call his boss and said: " I have to leave, there are people here, who need to get to the airport" So he took as there in his car and we did make it home as scheduled.

Stay strong Boston. We'll be back and it will be under better circumstances.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Goo: that was simply tremendous. What a race!! This and the other Boston RRs are moving and inspirational. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Nevrgivup

Thanks for sharing Goo. That is a fantastic RR that you shared. You are so fast!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the city. You are so kind to lay flowers where the explosion went off. I imagine the place is going to be unbelievable next year. I'm so glad you experienced the North End. I love it there! Beautiful pictures.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Finish 2:55:04

Winner of my 55-59 AG ran 2:42:14 (John posts in RWOL in marathon training forum as IRunForBeer)

I finished 12 in my AG. 22 men in my AG ran sub 3 hours in Boston.

I'll be 60 next year (October), everybody who beat me is younger than me. Winner of 60-64 AG ran 2:57:52. My plan was to come back in 2015 and try to win my AG. After what happened, I'll be back in 2014. I will carry flowers from start and stop at the spot when the first bomb went off to lay them down before I cross the finish line and I'm racing it in 2015.

This is awesome on a couple levels. I love your plan of carrying flowers next year Goo. I love these race reports.

I meant it when I wrote in my RR that I want to be you when I grow up. It was a pleasure to shake your hand before the race. I look forward to having a beer with you there next year.

Congrats on a very nice marathon.

BruceD555

This is awesome on a couple levels. I love your plan of carrying flowers next year Goo. I love these race reports.

I meant it when I wrote in my RR that I want to be you when I grow up. It was a pleasure to shake your hand before the race. I look forward to having a beer with you there next year.

Congrats on a very nice marathon.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read through your RR. Dang, you're one speedy guy.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on running Boston (I can't believe this was your first time!)

thanks for sharing.  It was a pleasure to stalk you.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Pinktastic

Goo - I'm so glad that you wrote this and shared your story with us!!   You are such a natural talent!    I can't wait to see what you do in 2014 with a great training cycle leading up to the race!   Keep  up the amazing work!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thank you for the RR.  You're an amazing runner, and I think your future plans for Boston are awesome as well.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you there someday.  I have a long way to go, but it looks like it would be worth all of the hard work.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Thank you for sharing your experience! Great pics too

Rondog65

Great report, glad you stayed in Boston and felt the resilience of all, thank you for sharing.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Ms Chenandler Bong

What an amazing RR.  You are so naturally talented, I'm in awe.  Congrats on your terrific performance.

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

LRB

That was a nice read, thanks for sharing your thoughts and Boston experience with the B&B.

"BQ was never concern for me. I could BQ without training, right of the couch."

Now that's WTF I'm talking about!

GinnyinPA

Thank you for sharing your Boston experience.  I look forward to reading your RR next year, when you win your AG.

Hip Redux

What a great trip and RR.

I'm glad you got to spend some time in the city, but I think you should have gone to see MIT and not that "other" university.  Big grin

Love the Half

Great race Goo and I'm glad you enjoyed the hell out of it.  That's what Boston is all about.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).