Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - April Fools 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.    And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

On April 1, I did April Fools Day 5K, my 22nd race of2016. Put on by Athlete Guild and held at Ladybird Johnson Park in San Antonio.  It really was an “April Fools!” event as the 5K turned out to be 4.2 miles. I took it nice n easy due to a recent adductor muscle strain and finished in 49:11, getting 2nd in my age group.

On to the photos!  I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do.  So if you’d rather just see photos only without my commentary you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2022%20April%20Fools%205K

BEFORE THE START

photo 001_zps8ytazay7.jpg

photo 002_zpsjcqnopvb.jpg

photo 003_zpsndhh0svg.jpg

photo 004_zps4a3cz34l.jpg

photo 005_zps07naawan.jpg

photo 006_zpsqran09ew.jpg

photo 007_zps9vqdf8oj.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Start was at the trailhead at LBJ Park, then a left onto paved trails that took us past Los Patios, a good local restaurant, and down to the frontage road of local highway Loop 410.  Here we turned around and went back the way we came.  When we got back to the trailhead to go back into the park, we went past that entrance and did an out-and-back along a nearby boardwalk that goes across a marshy area.  On this part is when participants realized this was going to be longer than a 5K.  Turn around point on the boardwalk and then back to the trailhead path and on to the finish.

photo 008_zps2xkzcdt9.jpg

photo 009_zpstksc7tve.jpg

photo 010_zpsdatncppz.jpg

photo 011_zpsx2lj0r8j.jpg

photo 012_zpsnwrcianq.jpg

photo 013_zpsxu6rsouw.jpg

photo 014_zpsrhsuukq4.jpg

photo 015_zpsroxpf4qu.jpg

photo 017_zps5530tmja.jpg

photo 018_zpssyknkwmg.jpg

photo 019_zpsje0zvrrl.jpg

Heel!  Good doggie

photo 020_zpsfa5yqre0.jpg

photo 021_zpshonh7ptm.jpg

photo 022_zpsg3c6lxbd.jpg

photo 023_zpst1tt8qu3.jpg

photo 024_zpsa64ctmok.jpg

photo 025_zpsjepni7ff.jpg

photo 026_zpsoxghu6c8.jpg

photo 027_zpsft4k09gb.jpg

photo 028_zpsnugabom6.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Water, sodas, and various types of chips for post-race snacks – no beer, darn the luck - and April Fools medals, with the last people in their age group getting the first prize medal, and so on.  Door prizes handed out too.

photo 029_zpscy3mzhns.jpg

photo 031_zpsds1zcpqz.jpg

photo 033_zpswtg1ghxb.jpg

photo 034_zpsxjzusy9a.jpg

MC Mark Purnell, all-around great guy, runner and MC Extraordinaire

photo 035_zpseqjzynuj.jpg

photo 037_zpsvykhxp6d.jpg

This is - no kidding! - Dorothy and her little dog too   and handsome little man

photo 039_zps6symgwgk.jpg

photo 040_zps3envwoiu.jpg

photo 041_zpsimhi7xsb.jpg

My friend and fellow cancer survivor Gene, and his wife, my friend Loyce

photo 042_zpsfcqpyccn.jpg

photo 044_zpscktldf2c.jpg

Two mutts...

photo 045_zpshjp7nvkw.jpg

photo 046_zpsnosdawso.jpg

Healthy post-race snacks included Pork Rinds

photo 047_zpstmrvfisz.jpg

photo 048_zpsslahvot7.jpg

The doggie medaled and so did my friend Sally and her friend

photo 049_zpsgdfz0gfv.jpg

My friend and fellow member of Team Red White Blue (RWB) got a medal too.

photo 050_zpsr0y7j19l.jpg

EPILOGUE

My adductor actually behaved pretty well, and if it had been an actual 5K, I was on pace to finish in about 34 minutes or so. When I realized it was not a 5K, I took it pretty easy that last mile, walked a lot more, took more photos on the boardwalk, etc, as I did not want to push the leg and risk hurting it worse.  Overall, a pretty nice event on a nice course, even with the extra distance and everyone seemed to keep their sense of humor about it.  After all, the race was advertised as “5K-ish” and even our MC told us before he sent everyone on the way that he had no idea the length of the course, only the Race Director and some of the course volunteers knew that.  I’d do this one again.  Just hope next year it’s not 10 miles!  Wink

Mucho thanks to Athlete Guild and all the volunteers for putting this one on for us; and to all the sponsors who supported it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

"It really was an “April Fools!” event as the 5K turned out to be 4.2 miles."

Um, I'm not sure I would have found that too funny.

GinnyinPA

Lots of costumes for this one.  I think most people were planning on a fun run, not a race.