Beginners and Beyond

No intense exercise for 10 days... I'm going to go insane (Read 45 times)

zzyzx

So I haven't been able to run distance for the last two weeks, once because I was on vacation, this last week because a kidney stone morphed into an infection. They gave me some antibiotics to clear things up and now I'm told that a side effect is tendon injuries. No running, lifting, cycling up hills, or anything other than walks. Thank god my half isn't until October because I'm going to have to rebuild from scratch.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hope you are on the mend. Assuming it's Cipro or that family, unfortunately I think you can still have the tendon issue for some time after finishing it. I didn't get that side effect, it just wrecked my stomach for several weeks after taking it.

I also learned cipro and coffee do not mix. It enhances the effect of caffeine.

zzyzx

Hope you are on the mend. Assuming it's Cipro or that family, unfortunately I think you can still have the tendon issue for some time after finishing it. I didn't get that side effect, it just wrecked my stomach for several weeks after taking it.

I also learned cipro and coffee do not mix. It enhances the effect of caffeine.

Did you exercise on it or take it easy?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, the effects on Cipro can happen at any time, even months/years later.  Did you already start the treatment? If not, or if very early, i would call the doctor and ask for another family of antibiotics.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Did you exercise on it or take it easy?

I felt awful anyway, so no exercise.

zzyzx

Yeah, the effects on Cipro can happen at any time, even months/years later.  Did you already start the treatment? If not, or if very early, i would call the doctor and ask for another family of antibiotics.

The problem is that it was an ER visit so I don't know if I'll be able to reach them, but yeah.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Do you have discharge paperwork from the ER? In theory, they should send it to your primary care doctor. You could try to see if your PCP can make the change.

Cyberic

So I haven't been able to run distance for the last two weeks, once because I was on vacation, this last week because a kidney stone morphed into an infection. They gave me some antibiotics to clear things up and now I'm told that a side effect is tendon injuries. No running, lifting, cycling up hills, or anything other than walks. Thank god my half isn't until October because I'm going to have to rebuild from scratch.

Ouch.

KCRuns

10 days isn't really going to affect your fitness that much and you have plenty of time to build up for an October half.  Just focus on getting well and then resume working out when your Dr gives the okay and you feel like it.

zzyzx

Yeah once my fever started to go back up, I changed my tune. I can't ever run if I don't beat this first.

LRB

Using the 12 week training model, which is plenty for a half marathon; start at the race day and work your way backwards. That will tell you the date in which you should be ready to get started. We like to have a solid base before heading into training, but you can also work your way up.

RunningOnSand

Get better soon, ZZY!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've used Cipro and other antibiotics in the same class. So far no adverse reactions. My doctors are well aware of the possible side effects and have prescribed alternatives when a good one was available. I did continue to run, but only at an easy effort. Another side effect is a heightened sensitivity to sunlight.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've used Cipro and other antibiotics in the same class. So far no adverse reactions. My doctors are well aware of the possible side effects and have prescribed alternatives when a good one was available. I did continue to run, but only at an easy effort. Another side effect is a heightened sensitivity to sunlight.

Does it also include a taste for blood?

Damaris

Hope you get better soon ZZ. Doc tried to put my Dad on that stuff. He read about the tendon issues and switched meds. So weird how that’s a side effect.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???