Beginners and Beyond

Racing: The Moment of Truth (Read 131 times)

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

While I love simply just running, make no mistake about it, I run to race.  It was a race that hooked me into our sport.  Sure, I could see myself running without events, but man, race day sure is special!

+1 My easy runs are mostly enjoyable, and I would probably still run even if I couldn't race. But there is nothing like the feeling I get when I'm in a race and I end up beside someone we have the silent realization that "I'm not going to let this guy pass me". Somehow two people are tired as hell are then able to tighten the screws until one of us falls off the pace. That's why I loved XC so much, I also got to know who from other teams had a similar style to me.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Resident Historian

Quote from LRB on 3/30/2013 at 6:00 AM:

While I love simply just running, make no mistake about it, I run to race.  It was a race that hooked me into our sport.  Sure, I could see myself running without events, but man, race day sure is special!

+1 My easy runs are mostly enjoyable, and I would probably still run even if I couldn't race. But there is nothing like the feeling I get when I'm in a race and I end up beside someone we have the silent realization that "I'm not going to let this guy pass me". Somehow two people are tired as hell are then able to tighten the screws until one of us falls off the pace. That's why I loved XC so much, I also got to know who from other teams had a similar style to me.

This.  I love to run at any time anywhere, love to complete a hard workout, but racing is it.  Race time is important, but head-to-head racing is more fun when it's possible.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Docket_Rocket

Daniels has definitely never known the joys of racing for fun!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Forgot to say, I love to race (fun or otherwise), but I think they are more an excuse for me to keep pushing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Daniels has definitely never known the joys of racing for fun!

From Daniels:

"...For me, I absolutely love racing and all that it brings...Sure, I could see myself running without events, but man, race day sure is special!..."

Looks to me ilke he knows the joys of racing. Not sure how you distinguish that from the joys of racing for fun.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Revenge of the Nerd

I trained and raced regularly for four years after I started running in 2004. Since then I’ve continued to run, bike and lift to stay in shape, with more attention on home projects and our teens’ activities.

In hindsight I realize that I enjoyed racing because it kept me “in the moment”. The focus and energy required of a competitive 5K leave little time for distracting thoughts. I find the same is true of trail running: one lapse in concentration on technical single-track can result in disaster. And that’s the lure of any activity that requires our full attention – it keeps us in the “now”.

I will race again eventually. Until then I’ll get my fix from downhill skiing, trail running, and teaching DS how to drive.Wink

For me, the moment of truth is simply about being "in the moment”.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

This.  I love to run at any time anywhere, love to complete a hard workout, but racing is it.  Race time is important, but head-to-head racing is more fun when it's possible.

Yup, I'd rather run a PB battling for 200th place than win a race outright because there was no competition.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Docket_Rocket

By what he said earlier about racing (In the prior paragraphs).  As I always mention, some people do not care about PRing every race yet they love to race.

Looks to me ilke he knows the joys of racing. Not sure how you distinguish that from the joys of racing for fun.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

outoftheblue

I would still run if I couldn't race, but I really enjoy the racing aspect.  It focuses my training and challenges me.  Race day is special.  I'm nervous, I'm excited and sometimes flat out scared.   Standing on the starting line, I know I will face pain out there and hope I handle it well.   During the race, I'm focused on how I'm feeling, strategizing over whether to push the pace or back off.  When it's done and the race has gone well, it's such an awesome, awesome feeling.  

Life is good.

never run

I can both run and race; in races.  Although my run for fun races have fallen into 2 categories,

One's I know I can drag myself across the finish line fine but I don't have the fitness to race that distance (like my trail Marathon 3 weeks ago coming off an 18 mile LR and barely one 40 mile week)

"Racing" tour opportunists, I happened to have the Saturday morning off during a business trip to Belgium when they were having their Half Marathon; I saw it as paying for a supported Long Run that let me tour the city.

Oh and races give me goals even if it is only to get out the door.

Hip Redux

Can you explain that? I can understand not having the desire to use a training plan, but I don't understand what you mean when you say you don't have the ability to stick to a plan.

Maybe poorly worded - I can stick to a "plan" (like, I have the attention span to, lol) but I have a lot of back issues that prevent me from doing anything but pretty low mileage stuff.

never run

Maybe poorly worded - I can stick to a "plan" (like, I have the attention span to, lol) but I have a lot of back issues that prevent me from doing anything but pretty low mileage stuff.

Oski funny I'm the opposite, I can physically stick to a plan but I need flexibility or I will say fuck it after about 2 weeks.

B-Plus

I don't find racing to be fun, but I do get some excitement out of race day. I may enjoy the moment the gun goes off and when I cross the finish line, but that's about it. I just train and race for the sense of accomplishment when I finally have that dream race.

I guess if I didn't race, then I'd still be a fitness jogger.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I think I'd run without racing, but I'm glad that I don't have to.  I love racing, but only to see how fast I can go at the given distance.  With that in mind, I race pretty infrequently so that I can run full training cycles geared toward a particular distance (or use indicator races to further help me prep).  I enjoy the training, but only in the sense that I know it's helping me build fitness so that I can meet my goals.

Also, I prefer bigger races because I like the fact that they feel "special."  I realize I'm far less likely to finish near the top at these events, but I really don't go to races for anything other than to race myself.  That may make it seem like I wouldn't need to race and could just run time trials, but I think we all know that the race atmosphere has a way of bringing about our best performances.

Lastly, my preference is racing the marathon because it gives me a great sense of accomplishment.  I know just as much effort can go into racing a fast 5k, but for me I'd rather race a fast marathon.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Runshortii

I love running, but I run to race. My first introduction into running was track and XC in high school, and I've been hooked to the race environment ever since! I'm like MJ in that I can't turn it off, I've gone into races saying I'm just doing them as a training run, but I always end up racing full out. I enjoy the "pain" of racing. Would I still run if there were no races? Yes, but not as much probably