Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - CST Brands Corner Store Run (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2063%20Country%20Store%205K

BEFORE THE START

Held on Nov 12, 2016.  This was my 63rd race of the year and my second of the Veteran's Day holiday weekend. The Country Store Run is put on by CST Brands, Inc, which owns the "Corner Stores" you see at various gas stations, etc. This event is held each year in 10 cities across the US and Canada and supports various local charities in each city.  In San Antonio, I have done all of them since it started here, so I'm on a streak with it.     Race venue was Freeman Coliseum in San Antonio, which is next to AT&T Stadium where the San Antonio Spurs play.   After I got there, there was a LOT of people waiting for the start.  A friend told me there were 4,000 participants for this one.  Well, I don't know the exact number...but it WAS a lot of folks.  I'd picked my packet up earlier in the week, so before the start I just wandered around taking a bunch of random photos.

37 minutes and change to race time.

photo 002_zps9w7kmypi.jpg

photo 003_zpsdspqx9yb.jpg

photo 001_zpsi4iqztbz.jpg

photo 004_zpsqtiumkxu.jpg

photo 005_zpszytktbof.jpg

Me with friend Sandra...one of my personal inspirations who overcomes so much to be out and active

photo 013_zps41yig5kd.jpg

photo 006_zpsrrd79ij4.jpg

photo 007_zpsekhoomyc.jpg

photo 008_zpscwcwknsi.jpg

photo 009_zpskcgrglp1.jpg

photo 010_zpszgioqtoe.jpg

photo 011_zpsycdtmqfx.jpg

OK, I don't even wanna know what they're milking this cow with... 

photo 012_zpspx9cnhd5.jpg

photo 015_zpss2swykhl.jpg

photo 016_zpsqdz82rp6.jpg

photo 017_zpsmolbnovj.jpg

photo 018_zpsre6syeae.jpg

photo 020_zpsnlrgma0m.jpg

photo 021_zpszlumwqsr.jpg

photo 022_zpsmjmc7xhu.jpg

photo 025_zpsx5vna9rd.jpg

This is a lot of people ahead of me, lol.

photo 023_zpsqsjskkgu.jpg

..and behind me...

photo 024_zpskifya3rx.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The last 2 years this course has been strictly in the coliseum/AT&T parking lot areas.  This year, however, we started in the parking lot near Freeman Coliseum, wound around part of the parking lot and then crossed over the street to a nearby golf course, running on the paved golf cart paths.  Because the paths were way too narrow for this many people, lots of us - including me - ran lots of this part of the course on the grass next to the paved paths.  I'm sure the golf course groundskeepers loved we runners after this race.   It was slow going most of the way for the majority of the mid-and-back-of-the pack people and I saw a few people take a fall because of all the in-and-out-and in maneuvering of faster people trying to get around slower people than them.  I did notice that all of them got back up pretty quick so probably were not hurt, thank goodness..but still.  After the race one of my friends told me that at one point - where we crossed back over the street to the parking lot to head to the finish - a couple the police officer actually stopped all the runners on the golf course side and let traffic flow by for a while - which I get, because that was one long line of traffic, going all the way back to Houston Street; but, wow, stopping runners in mid-stride at a race, not cool.  I don't blame the officers though - they were doing what they had to do to keep participants safe - nope, it was this darn course....just not sufficient for this many people.  Well, I managed to keep on going on the course and with these conditions thought I'd finish in about 40 minutes; but was pleasantly surprised to finish at 36-something, doing just under 12-minute miles.  I'll take it!   As if I had a choice, lol.

Crowd going up a small incline...still in the parking lot area

photo 026_zpsb1oznz0w.jpg

Right after we got onto the golf course trails, we started seeing some musicians along the way..

photo 027_zpsuxskqynz.jpg

...and here we go on the golf course paved trails....and the grass...

photo 028_zpscgr48lwi.jpg

photo 029_zpsho0qevya.jpg

photo 030_zpsoaziulju.jpg

photo 031_zpsju5f0fnv.jpg

photo 032_zpspfqtdwn0.jpg

photo 033_zpsov6mbz1m.jpg

Doesn't that guy, bib 1046, kinda look like George Bush? 

photo 034_zps4bfpd9ma.jpg

photo 035_zpsvzfykxgm.jpg

photo 036_zps8fc3pcwd.jpg

photo 037_zps6lrqvewc.jpg

Thinned out a tad right here...

photo 038_zps4vhfuc9v.jpg

These folks are just starting out on the loop around the golf course.  From where I took the photo, I was almost to the point where participants crossed back into the parking lots area.

photo 039_zpsl3mmmxan.jpg

photo 040_zpsjpgpuwif.jpg

photo 041_zps29gycgol.jpg

photo 042_zpsq5zn9hk9.jpg

On the left, we are heading towards the finish...walkers on the right

photo 043_zpszkf585r6.jpg

photo 044_zpsscqtggtn.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Rehydrated....put a dry shirt on underneath my running shirt...and then into the Coliseum to enjoy the after-party.  This is really where this race shines...just all kinds of stuff going on and all kinds of goodies to just 'sweep' into your goodie bag.  I'll say one thing for CST Brands, they really don't hold back on giving stuff away to participants...wow!   It was a 'country fair' atmosphere and there was also live music and all kinds of carnival-type games being enjoyed my many.   And if you did not like the free goodies being given out, there was even a 'food truck' type of vendor where you could purchase food and drink.

My first stop in the building....

photo 083_zps3eek7xji.jpg

photo 084_zpsxdtjebmx.jpg

photo 085_zpse9eynped.jpg

Thanks, beer servers!

photo 046_zpsh0gdpawu.jpg

Besides beer....lots of other stuff....

photo 055_zpslkwjerqd.jpg

photo 056_zps29vsycni.jpg

Apparently, this guy in the middle is in Witness Protection....or needs one of his energy drinks..

photo 059_zps88as4tg5.jpg

...or maybe not... 

photo 060_zpskmgsjqbq.jpg

photo 061_zpsikwgwdbf.jpg

photo 062_zpsdegjwgnb.jpg

Our "Fair MC"...she did a great job.

photo 063_zpspnuy0bl5.jpg

photo 064_zpsterreyxi.jpg

photo 065_zpsmh9f1btd.jpg

Wandering around getting random photos....the white 'country fair ribbon' awards were the finisher 'medals' all participants got.  I eventually gave mine away to a kid whose family members had some but he did not.

photo 045_zps5zfyrrn5.jpg

photo 047_zps784pqni7.jpg

photo 049_zpssios6lwk.jpg

photo 050_zps7u79gqyw.jpg

Learning rope tricks...

photo 051_zpsgqxryna3.jpg

photo 052_zpsj7ibefg2.jpg

photo 053_zpsr0n1fzdf.jpg

Icee Bear of  ICEE company

photo 054_zpsbaxyqz4d.jpg

Darn, a little blurry...it's the beer, right? 

photo 057_zps5rv0ho0f.jpg

That's better...

photo 058_zpsbwpvauyz.jpg

photo 066_zpsuxtfy2ko.jpg

photo 067_zpsjpfq9cab.jpg

photo 068_zpsstmmr1ql.jpg

photo 069_zpscl0fkyyl.jpg

photo 070_zpsmrpzm5rq.jpg

photo 071_zpss9hsau9r.jpg

photo 072_zpsy90fjdsh.jpg

photo 073_zpsik3edzdx.jpg

photo 074_zps3kywgy2i.jpg

photo 075_zpsd8vsa946.jpg

photo 076_zpsixviazwr.jpg

photo 078_zpslaaawspz.jpg

My darn beer eyes... 

photo 079_zpsvtt75s2n.jpg

...that's better...

photo 080_zpsjv5zoi7a.jpg

photo 086_zps25scvo6m.jpg

Me with the lovely and gracious Kim Lubel, CEO of CST Brands.  Very 'approachable" lady and very nice person; I think she must have chatted with hundreds of participants after the race and got photos with who knows how many.....she definitely earned some 'relaxing time' for herself later!

photo 082_zpsig7hewky.jpg

photo 081_zpslwal4t3v.jpg

EPILOGUE

Aside from the course probably needing to be changed back to what the original course was, this is really a very good, quality event  Lots of pre-and-post race stuff going on, lots of things to look at and enjoy on the course - photo ops with the singers out there along the way, the balloon characters, hay bales, etc. - nice race shirts, finisher medal to everyone...and just a TON of goodies post-race.   Definitely would recommend this one to my fellow runners.  Just hope they change the course back....lots more room for maneuverability and less risk of falling with the old course.  Sure, it's a parking lot, but the CST Brand folks have a lot of imagination and put a lot of things along the course on the way to keep it interesting.   Course notwithstanding though...I'd do this one again.   Of course, who knows what will happen next year, as CST Brands IS tentatively being acquired by the folks who own the Circle K branded stores...so if this race does continue, it may be a whole different animal next year.  Time will tell.  Meanwhile...MUCHO THANKS for all the folks who made this one happen for we participants.....sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement, Freeman Coliseum and AT&T employees, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Looks like a really fun time- that's great that they have so much going on pre- and post- race to bring people out.  But I agree, that course was not sufficient for that crowd!  Hope nobody in the middle of the pack showed up hoping to PR!