Beginners and Beyond

Race Day Sunday (Read 42 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

It's gray and ugly out. Looking at the flag on top of Resorts, there's going to be a headwind on the second half. Lovely. Having coffee now to take care of important race day things.

LRB

It's gray and ugly out.

You can do well in gray and ugly. Sunny and beautiful...not so much. I'm just hoping the course length is legit for once!

Good luck!

Half Crazy K 2.0

You can do well in gray and ugly. Sunny and beautiful...not so much. I'm just hoping the course length is legit for once!

Good luck!

Wind. Lots of wind. If I have a massive positive split, that's why.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wind. Lots of wind. If I have a massive positive split, that's why.

Probably too late to do any good, but I ran a marathon in similar conditions and found that a super conservative first half worked well for me. I ended up with a small positive split of a couple minutes, but that was a lot better than some of the positive splits I saw of 45 minutes or more of runners who had similar race times going into the race but went out at their usual good effort.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Good luck, HCK!  You can do this!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bluerun

Super B****

It’s looking like I will be lucky if my race is shorter than my bus trip 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

At least it was faster than my fall race. The entire 2nd half was into the wind.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

Good luck racers!

I ran 12 miles of hills in the wind and rain.  It was upper 50s when I started, and upper 40s when I got home.  It was tough, but didn't totally suck.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Coastal

Headwinds can be tough.  Good luck -- or, rather, I hope it went as well as possible since the racers have probably already finished.

Waiting for the Y to open at noon.   It's literally the only place in town, fortunately, it's also a pretty nice facility.  It's cold and wet outside so I don't mind going inside other than having to go in so late on Sundays.  Small town issues .  Other than a few crazy runners (like me) or other fitness nuts (like me), no one else is going to show up on a Sunday.  On another note there's a fundraising 5k - 10K coming up this weekend that I had been eyeing as a fitness test, mostly because it benefits the development and maintenance of an all-weather hiking-running trail.  After taking over a week off I'm not sure about doing it.  I'll have to see how things feel midweek.  It might just turn out to be a good way to get in 6 miles and support a good cause.

sdWhiskers

10.9 miles with progression over last 5. Very thankful to friends who watched my little man so I could run! 60 degrees when I started and getting close to 80 now.

Good luck to the racers today and tomorrow!

delicate flower

'Morning!  I did 51 miles on the tri bike.  It was 35 degrees and windy and my legs were tired and it was just all around awful, but I am happy I sucked it up and rode outside.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

2:05:36 in the April Fools Half in Atlantic City, NJ.  20 mph tail wind for the first half.  20 mph head wind for the second half.  When I first made the turnaround, we were running between houses and I thought perhaps the wind would not be too bad.  Then at mile 9 we moved onto the board walk with no shelter from the wind at all.  That was not so much fun.  My splits are not too pretty as a result.  Considering the conditions, I feel good about the result.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Half Crazy K 2.0

Fred, DH said the announcer was say 30mph winds at the finish area. There were several teases where I thought the wind was slowing, only to get hot in the face a few seconds later. I nearly lost my visor a few times. It did blow off in the chute, I was able to get it after I finished.

16 w/8 @ LOL.

51 for the week.

Dave

KCRuns

16 mile slog in cold, rainy and windy conditions. My feet were soaked a half mile into it. I’m grateful for wool socks today that kept my feet warm despite being wet. I try not to complain about the weather because you never know what race day will be like, so it’s all good experience, but this is the 3rd long run in a row where it was cold and raining. I’m trying really hard to get well, and I’m tired of the cold wet conditions. /rantover