Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's SUPER SaturDAILY (Read 20 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

OH NO...MO SNO   

Today's run will be interesting.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ok I'm having a dilemma. Last week I ran 8.3 miles. I wanted to do a short outdoor run today (temperatures are up to the mid 30s! Great running weather!) but I realized I already did 5.25 this week and have a 4 mile "race" (not "racing" don't worry I will do my recovery paced run/walk intervals and take it easy) tomorrow. That puts me at 9.25 for the week. Just over 10% already. Should I skip the run today? Also a bit congested. But I wanna run!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  4 miles or SRD.

Kristin, I have never followed the 10% rule so my suggestion would be to run it.  Having said, if you're congested, I would just skip it altogether.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Kristin - my understanding is that the 10% rule isn't really necessary at very low miles.  At least, I ignored it when I came back from this last injury.  I started back with 9-10 mpw, since that's where I began when I was doing c25k originally.

Jerry - sorry to hear more snow for you.  Stay safe.

D - enjoy your short run or RD.  Race tomorrow?  Are you in New Orleans?

AFM -  There's an Ice Fest going on downtown which we may check out.  Lots of ice sculptures and a street party. For once it's cold enough the sculptures won't melt right away.  Last year it was in the 60's.

Zelanie

Kristin, I also started with 2 miles, 5x a week when I started back, so about 10 miles/week.  10% is really only appropriate for people running a medium amount of miles, I think.  It's too conservative for low mileage runners, and too aggressive for higher mileages.

My 14 last night were tough.  I kinda knew I wasn't feeling it heading out, but I wanted the miles done.  I didn't bring any water or gel, and should have.  Plus I wore a hat, and I almost never wear anything on my head.  I was worried about being cold after it got dark.  Instead it stayed in the 40s, and I was roasting alive inside of it.  But I didn't want to take it off because I had my headlamp on it.  Anyway, whine whine whine, right?  Some runs are like that.  The miles are still done.  Today will probably be a SRD, or I might run 6.

Jerry- Have fun with your Yeti run!

D- Enjoy the day, SRD or otherwise!

Ginny- The problem is, if it's cold enough for an ice fest, isn't everybody sick of the ice and not really wanting to celebrate it?  I hope you have a good time!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I am not a very religious person and I've never been one to ask for prayers.....but if you pray, or send happy thoughts to the universe or whatever you do..... PLEASE put my cousin and his wife in them today. My cousin's wife, who is 30 years old and just had a baby 3 months ago, was diagnosed with a brain tumor after being rushed to the hospital late last night due to a headache so bad that she couldn't see or stop vomiting. She never had any signs of a brain tumor before this. The doctors are unsure if she will make it through surgery.......

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

PADRunner

1.5 and boot camp this morning.

SheCan

Jerry-- be careful out there on that asphalt and rocks, it's different than running on ice.  All that friction can be dangerous 

kristin-- if you're feeling alright and  think you can, go for it.  Just try to be aware of any pains, and stop if it's not feeling right.  Oh my @ you cousin.  Of course she'll be in my thoughts today.  Sad  She's so young, and that baby needs her.  I hope you're doing alright, too.  That's so scary.

Ginny-- that ice fest sounds really fun!  Enjoy!  Sorry you didn't get to donate blood yesterday.

Zelanie-- awesome job on that run yesterday.  Tough or not, I'm not surprised you did it.  You really are a fighter.

PAD-- good job on the run!  Bootcamp?  LOL is that what we're calling it now?

An easy and super slow 7 for me this morning.  Hoping to go to a fundraiser this evening and see several bands.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

tracilynn

Kristin, that is so sad. Keep us posted. I'm in no position to give any advice about running and injuries as I'm always Injured it seems ha.

jerry, how much snow have y'all gotten this year?

zel, way to get the miles done. Probably a good boost for your tough mental edge.

ginny, enjoy the ice fest

hey pad and damaris And Cherie!

its a glorious 60 degrees and sunny here today . I'm gonna run outside later... strep throat and all. Can't pass this perfect day up.

~~~~~~~

Traci

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers. They're trying to stabilize her condition in order to give her a better chance in surgery. Drilled her skull to relieve some of the pressure and put her in a medically induced coma and life support.... now they just have to wait and monitor and hope they can get her into surgery Sad

On a better note....before I received the call from my mom about my cousin's wife, I decided to do a strength routine of foot, ankle and shin exercises plus the Strength Running ITB routine and then jog/power walk the .75 miles to my massage appointment. It made me happy cuz I got to put on running clothes and get some fresh air and run a little, but I don't think .75 miles at an overall pace of 14:00 min/mile will hurt me. And I had a lovely 90 minute massage. Unfortunately when I looked at my phone after I had a bunch of missed calls from family....

Zelanie

Kristin- Definitely sending good thoughts!  Hopefully it is not as dire as it seems.  My dad was diagnosed with brain cancer after a sudden grand mal seizure (he hadn't shown any symptoms before that), and after surgery things were not looking good.  They hadn't been able to remove all of the tumor, plus he was paralyzed on one side and wasn't able to speak (and, it turned out later, he had forgotten how to do a lot of simple, everyday things too).

But that was about 15 years ago now.  He has made an excellent recovery, and if you were meeting him now, you'd never know that he had been through any of this, except for the scar (which he is proud of).  He just got another clean MRI showing another year of no tumor growth.

It looked really bad at the time, though.  So you never know.  Hopefully she will be another success story down the road.

hog4life

Kristin, very sorry to hear this, prayers going up.

Zel, that is amazing about your dad! Nice miles too.

I got in 7 miles this morning, I was hoping for more, but just didn't feel it. It's such a pretty day as Traci mentioned, so I might just go out again.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Kristin, hope your cousin's wife pulls through.  Good thoughts.

4 more snow-packed street miles.   Seems like twice as much work with the heavy shoes, YaxTrax and feet warmers.  Don't know how we will do 13, 4 weeks from tomorrow as we are not getting any LR's in.

We got 6 more inches today so that's about 54 for the winter, Traci.  Looks like we will have to travel to the warm weather since it ain't coming here anytime soon.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin -Prayers.

10 miles today on the treadmill.  Snow, rain, snow today.  It's warmer, but an absolute mess.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013