Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILY Penguins !!! (Read 16 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Back from the gym.  Now it's mystery miles or maybe a RD?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have a short run tonight.

Jerry, of course, mystery miles!

Damaris

PADRunner

Morning, on the treadmill today and probably for the next 2 due to rain.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

D - thanks for that refresh PM advice.  I slept a lot better last night.

Jerry - as long as you aren't up against my team this week, I also vote for mystery miles.. otherwise just take a rest day ;-)

AFM - I'll do a short run today once I get the motivation.  It is really windy outside so I might just do them on the TM.  The wind really pisses off my eyes right now.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Greetings from Chicago. I got in OK although didn't get nearly as much sleep on the plane as I had hoped.  I did get some sleep in my room, though. Now I finally have to get up, but I don't wanna!

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Impromptu rest day - I don't schedule them at all anymore, just take them when my legs are feeling beat up, as they were when I woke up this morning.

I wore a headlamp for the first time yesterday and kinda hated it - it's super cheap and way too cumbersome for running. I thought about just dealing with it, but the thought of having to wear that thing *every single weekday run* from now until spring convinced me otherwise. I'm out for at least 30 minutes and sometimes an hour or more before the sun even starts to come up and running in the dark is getting tiresome. New running-friendly model is on the way from Amazon (what would I do without you, Amazon??).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Greetings from Chicago. I got in OK although didn't get nearly as much sleep on the plane as I had hoped.  I did get some sleep in my room, though. Now I finally have to get up, but I don't wanna!

Get lots of sleep, Zel Smile

GinnyinPA

Z - have fun in Chicago.  I hope you get a chance to run along the lake shore.

Jerry - enjoy your mystery miles.

D - enjoy your run tonight.  I hope it's cool enough to run outside.

PAD - rain is good, so enjoy the TM.  Is this front part of the hurricane?

Jill - I hope the wind dies down so you can run outside.

Lauren- I hope your legs feel better. Which headlamp did you order?  We have a couple we use for camping, but haven't tried to use them running yet.  After joining the beer runners group, I'm going to need some new gear so I can run at night with them.  What do you wear for visibility?  Not for you to see, but for cars to see you>

PADRunner

This is what went through CA earlier this week. We'll get some of the Hurricane late Saturday I think. Flash flood watches till Sunday.

From the Internet.

Z - have fun in Chicago.  I hope you get a chance to run along the lake shore.

Jerry - enjoy your mystery miles.

D - enjoy your run tonight.  I hope it's cool enough to run outside.

Jill - I hope the wind dies down so you can run outside.

Lauren- I hope your legs feel better. Which headlamp did you order?  We have a couple we use for camping, but haven't tried to use them running yet.  After joining the beer runners group, I'm going to need some new gear so I can run at night with them.  What do you wear for visibility?  Not for you to see, but for cats to see you>

After much waffling and reading of many reviews, I ended up going with the Black Diamond Sprinter. Petzl has a couple of cheaper models that would probably have been just fine too, but the two big selling points for me were the red light on the back and the fact that it's rechargeable - no batteries to replace. For visibility I have the Amphipod Xinglet Flash LED - it's reflective AND has blinking red lights on the front and back!

Zelanie

Get lots of sleep, Zel Smile

After my run. Wink

Zelanie

Lauren, that's the same headlamp and I have and even though I would much prefer not running with one at all, it is a good one. I just have to be careful not to blind cyclists and freak out dogs because it is pretty bright.

GinnyinPA

Seven miles this afternoon, on a gorgeous cool sunny autumn day.  The mountains are turning red and orange and yellow, and today it was clear enough to really see them.   I need to get into the mountains before the leaves are all gone.  Trees in the neighborhood are brightly colored too but it isn't as spectacular.