Beginners and Beyond

Week 24, it's German Chocolate Penguins!! (06/10-06/16) (Read 12 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National German Chocolate Cake Day, and man, I'd love me some German chocolate cake!!  Unfortunately, DH hates coconut and isn't all that thrilled with chocolate, so I'm out of luck unless we're at a restaurant or something.  Not much use making an entire dessert for one of us!

I did make some snickerdoodles this weekend, which although they have no chocolate, they're ok cookies.  And they make DH all happy, which is all good.

I also washed the curtains in our bedroom and bathroom, which was a job desperately in need of doing.  The bedroom curtains came out lovely, but the bathroom curtains disintegrated in the dryer (), so now I need to do a little shopping for new curtains.  Doh!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Now I want some German chocolate cake and I don't even like chocolate!

I have 5 and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I'm desirous of dessert (hugest sweet tooth EVAH) and have nothing to indulge in.  Which is how I plan it -- I'm too lazy to go to the 7-11 on the corner, and so I use my laziness to watch my waistline.  I feel like I'm cheating the universe somehow ... 

Docket_Rocket

Now I want something sweet, HopesMom, thanks.

I have Pilates and 7 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

It's my job to corrupt the innocent.  Or you.  Whichever. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good thing I chose to run at Fort Sam Houston this early a.m...because I forgot I had an "appointment" to run with my doc this morning. When I got to the gym doc was waiting for me. I haven't said much about it lately, but I have a few heart issues - yet another "battle" to add to the list of ones I've had, right? I was planning on hills this morning - and not baby hills either; those long hills that are on the training side of the post - and doc said that was good, would really give the heart a workout to see how I was doing. So off we go, with doc telling me to just run how I normally do. Okay then. My usual run/walk thing and a couple of stops for doc to check my heart rate, pulse, whatever. We ended up with 6 uphills, 3 downhills, and 4.1 miles in 45:21, so just a bit over 11 minute miles. Doc is a much better and speedier runner than me, I don't think doc even broke a sweat, lol, at my pace. I felt pretty good the whole darn way and doc said for what my heart is dealing with, I am doing pretty darn good....nice! Actually, doc is a runner too and was gonna run this morning too anyway, so was convenient for both of us, and saved me an office visit. Great appointment and that is some nice personal service!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

This may be the most awesome doctor appointment I've ever heard about!  Very cool to have such personalized care, as well as a running buddy for the day!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 and hill intervals tonight.

Scotty, that's awesome.

HopesMom, morning!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Just spent two hours loading data into an analysis program, carefully saving in between each upload.  The program crashed on the final sample, and the previous saved files can't be retrieved. 

Luckily there's quartet rehearsal tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's a new day, Penguins!!  Or at least it's part of a new day, seeing as how part of the new day is already old.  Chorus rehearsal tonight!

Smile

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 miles and Pilates.  I sort of have a headache and for the past two days and a light toothache, so I wonder if I screwed up a tooth.  It's not painful, just annoying at this point.

HopesMom, enjoy the rehearsal!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Sorry about your head and tooth, Docket!  Hope they're both feeling better today.

Chorus was fun, and I'm enormously glad it's Friday.  Woo-hoo for Friday!!

Docket_Rocket

Yay Friday!

Headache is nonexistent today.  Yay.

Damaris

Fundraising Page