Beginners and Beyond

Phiilefan's St. Luke's HM RR (long, with pics) (Read 87 times)

Philliefan33

St. Luke’s Half Marathon (Allentown PA)

Short version:  This was my first HM.  My training over the winter went well as far as building up my mileage, but there was not much speed work.  My soft goal was under 2:30, my stretch goal was 2:20.  I finished in 2:26:28 and had a blast (except for the last couple of miles – they hurt).  I’m planning on doing another HM in the fall.

Long version:

Training:  Last fall I was concerned that I wouldn’t have the discipline to run consistently through the winter if I didn't have a goal, so I registered for the St. Luke’s HM.  I knew I couldn’t get lazy over the winter if I had to run my first HM in April.  The field size (4000) at St. Luke’s seemed like a good fit for me.  I don’t like crowds, so runs like the Broad Street run in Philadelphia (40,000 runners) don’t appeal to me.  But as a slow runner, very small races are tough because finishing in the last 10% means there’s only a few people around by the time I finish.  Hence the medium-sized HM for my first.

I worked on building my base through December and January, then in February started a twelve-week plan loosely based on a Ryan Hall HM plan.  It had me running 5 days/week with one LR, a MLR, and one day of hills/speedwork.  As I got to the second half of the plan I found it difficult to keep up the speedwork and the increased mileage, so many of my speed days became easy runs.  By race day I knew I could cover the distance, but didn’t know if I could go much faster than my training pace.

Pre-race / Expo:  I wanted DH to be there for my first HM, and to drive me to the race and home (about an hour).  He decided to run the 5K on Sunday so he would have something to do for part of the time he was waiting for me.  We drove to the packet pickup / Expo on Saturday.  I had never been to a race Expo, DH didn’t even know there would be one.  He was shocked at the number of people there; I thought it was cool to see so many fit people in one place.  We got our race packets and shopped a little.  I didn’t buy anything but DH got a good deal on a new pair of shoes.

Strategy:  My soft goal for this race was under 2:30, my stretch goal was 2:20.  I liked the idea of a pace group so I wouldn’t have to think.  So much about this race was new for me (the distance, the number of runners, the route, having spectators) that having someone else help with the pace sounded beneficial.  The 2:30 pace group would be running at my typical LR pace, the 2:20 group would be going about half a minute faster than my easy run pace.  I decided to go out with the 2:20 group and adjust as necessary

Race day:  Up at 5:30, ate my usual oatmeal breakfast, out the door by 6:00 with coffee in hand for the ride.  Got to Allentown, parked, and walked to the HS gym to wait for the start.  I got in line for the bathroom right away, it was a short wait (timing is everything…the wait got much longer later).  The 5K was to start at 8:00, the HM at 8:10.  The race directors announced that they were going to start moving the 5Kers to the start at 7:30, so DH and I made our final preps and dropped our bags at the truck for transport to the finish line.

Once DH left I went looking for Aprilrunner and lilac_jive and found them (the goldenrod shirts helped).  My first FE!  We talked a little, got a photo, then I went off to hover near the 2:20 pace group.

The race:  Lined up at the start line waiting, I felt the urge to pee.  I told myself that it was just a nervous bladder and ignored it.  I couldn’t hear any of the announcements or the start, but soon the pack started moving.  Wow, this was it!  The race started on a downhill portion, so as I crossed the start line I could see 3000 runners spreading out in front of me.  The band is playing, people are cheering, and I’m just soaking it all in.

In the first mile we start passing the 5K runners coming back to the finish.  I worked my way over to the right side of our pack, hoping to see DH.  I see him and give him a high five.  Then I look around and realize that I’m in front of the 2:20 pacer, and as we cross the 1-mile mark my pace is 10:21.  That’s faster than my plan so I slow down some to let the pace group catch up.

Somewhere in mile 2, I end up running next to a lady in a Yankees hat.  I never did get her name, but let’s call her Yankeefan.  I notice Yankeefan glancing around to check on the 2:20 group so I asked if she’s trying to stay with them and she says yes.  We talk a little about our strategy, it’s her first HM also and she plans to stay with the 2:20 group for a while and try to pick it up with about 3 miles to go.

Miles 2 – 6 are run next to Yankeefan, enjoying the signs and spectators.  There are a few more bands, and we all cheer for the leaders that have made the turn and passing us going the other direction.  Yankeefan and I are just in front of the 2:20 pacer, I’m feeling strong.  Except there’s two little issues.  I still feel the need to pee, and my left foot is starting to fall asleep.  We pass a porta-potty at ~5 miles but there are five women in line.  No way am I waiting for five women to use a porta-potty in the middle of a race.  As we approach the halfway mark, I notice a PP tucked off to the side with no line.  I decide to make a quick pit stop.  It was occupied, but not for long, and I think I lost about 45 seconds but I’m more comfortable.

Mile 1  10:21 (downhill, excitement)

Mile 2   10:57

Mile 3   10:54

Mile 4   10:42

Mile 5   10:52

Mile 6   11:02

Mile 7   11:39 (pee break)

By the time I get out of the PP I’ve lost the 2:20 pacer.  I don’t want to expend the energy to catch her (I can’t even see them) so I try to settle into the same pace.  My left foot is tingling, so I stop to loosen the laces.  It helps a little.  We’re in the park now, and the path is about 3-4 people wide.  I’m passing a lot of people but because of the narrow path I have to do some bobbing and weaving.  Just before the 9-mile marker we go through a covered bridge, and as we come out there is a string quartet playing Mozart.  Very cool.

After the 9-mile point I’m passing a lot of people walking.  The vibe in this section was not good – a lot of struggling people.  I’m not struggling yet, but my foot is asleep again and my legs are tiring.  We pass a singer doing Tony Bennett.  Somewhere after the 10-mile mark I catch up to Yankeefan.  Her knee is hurting and she fell off the 2:20 pacer.  We fall in together now, and by this point I am struggling.  My breathing is fine but I can’t make my legs go.

Mile 8   11:01

Mile 9   11:12

Mile 10   11:04

Mile 11   11:35

Mile 12   11:19

At the 12-mile marker I see DH and give him a thumbs up.  We can hear the finish line in the stadium, but there is still a mile loop to do before we get there.  A little after the 12 mile mark, Yankeefan sees her family and runs ahead for hugs from her two little girls – maybe 5 and 3 years old?  She ends up ahead of me, and I notice her turning around to look for me and slowing down for me to catch up.  When I catch up we have about half a mile to go.  I don’t have much left but I sense that she does, so I say “I’m going to give you some incentive.  I just saw your little girls.  My youngest daughter is 21 years old.  You really don’t want to get beat by an old lady like me, so you better go.”  She thanks me and pulls ahead.  While I was very glad to have someone to run with out on the course, I didn’t want her to feel some misplaced sense of loyalty that made her stay with me to the finish.

To enter the stadium we have to climb a short but steep hill.  That’s just rude at this point!  But I run up, recover for a few strides on the track, and kick into whatever faster gear I have left.  I can’t sprint, but I do pass a few people.  I notice that the stadium scoreboard says “Home of the Canaries”.  Really?  Who wants a canary as a mascot? I cross the finish line at 2:26:28 chip time.

Mile 13   11:26

Last 0.1   I don’t know…do the math if you want

YES, I just finished a half marathon!!! Yankeefan is there to give me a high five.  I get my medal and some water, then wander to a less-crowded area so DH can find me.  Hugs / smiles / pictures…it’s all good.

Post-mortem:  That was fun, let's do it again!  I was prepared to finish this race, but not ready to really push for this distance.  Like many of you assured me, I was definitely more prepared than many of the runners.  I never got winded, the limiting factor for me was my legs --they just got tired in the last few miles.  I was stiff yesterday (the car ride home contributed to this) but not too bad today.

I need more running under my belt, and I'm going to get more consistent with speedwork this summer. Now to find a HM for the fall....

Photos courtesy of DH:

Much of the run was in this pretty park

Firemen running in honor of fallen comrades.  They ran the entire race in full gear, carrying the flags.  (They beat me).

12 miles done

Almost to the stadium

Sloooow.

Glad you wrote your RR, brilliant work!  Looks like a beautiful place to run, too.

Congratulations!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Way to go, Philliefan! You got your first one done and you met your goal. I think it's great that, even though you were in pain, you still had fun. The next one will be even better!

Pinktastic

Way to go, Philliefan!!  Congrats on your debut HM!!  You adjusted well to all the new things and with continued running, you'll do even better next time!!   Bask in the glory of your first and keep up the hard work to make your 2nd even better!!!  BIG Congrats!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

SheCan

Congratulations, Margo!   Just finishing that first HM is quite an accomplishment, and you'll have many more chances at hitting that hard goal.  These pictures are just beautiful.  I'd LOVE to run under a covered bridge-- how cool is that!  You don't even look tired in those last few pictures at all.  WTG, and may you have a ton more races ahead of you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

YAYpril - B-Plus

Congratulations, Margo! It was so great to meet you! Smile

workinprogress11

Congratulations on your first half!  That course looks really pretty.  You did great and I'm sure will only improve as you get more miles on your legs.  Great job!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great run teammate. Your pacing was good for a first. A few more miles and a few more races and it will all come together for a huge PR. 2:20 shouldn't be that far away for you.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GinnyinPA

Nice race report, thank you.  It looks like a pretty race.  You look quite happy in those pictures.  If you want to try a HM with hills, you can join me at Mad Anthony in September.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

To enter the stadium we have to climb a short but steep hill.  This is like the MCM marathon, from what folks who have done it tell me.  You run up that steep but short hill to the Marine Corps monument/statue.  After doing 26 miles. HOOAH! Big grin

Congrats on your race, Margo, you did great!   Nice you had some company along the way too. Congrats to your DH too on his 5K!

Your photos look great....I wanna chase your Great Legs now...   Joking   Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Just B.S.

Great job on your first half!! You look like you were having a lot of fun and in my books

that is always the #1 goal!

Congrats!

Luke79

GRats on your first HM in the books.  Well done.  Here's to many more.

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Congrats, Philliefan!  Thanks for coming to run our local half marathon, and I'm so glad you had a blast!  It really is a labor of love put on by the Lehigh Valley Road Runners, and it just keeps on being such an awesome race year after year.  I love doing it.  The Parkway is one a very popular place to run in the Valley because it's so pretty.  And the fire fighters beat me last year too, so don't feel bad. Wink  They are awesome, though.

I did the 5K, so I was done and cheering on HM'ers with a group of folks right by the drum players at that rude hill into the stadium.  It's a bitch even after just 3 miles too!

Oh, and the other high school in the city has a husky as their mascot, while I do like canaries, the husky is way cooler.  Smile

And looking at your avatar and pics, I never would have guessed you have a 21-year-old daughter!  You look great!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm so glad you wrote a RR!! Great job! Congrats on finishing your first half marathon!!!! great pics!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to