Beginners and Beyond

RR Wisconsin HM - 5/2/2015 (Read 57 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

This was our 7th HM since our first one 2 years ago in Knoxville.  All but one have been destination races, although Kenosha is not much of a destination as it is only 50 miles from home. But who wouldn’t want to spend a night in Kenosha!

As always DW and I run together (joined at the Bib?)  Although we don’t follow any formal training plan, we stayed in pretty good shape over the winter running on indoor tracks.  Our races have usually been spaced months apart, but after the long winter, we decided to take advantage of the Spring weather and string several HM's together starting with the Salt Lake City HM 2 weeks ago.  We made our Kenosha hotel reservations a long time ago, but waited until the last week to register as we wanted to make sure we had good weather (we are definitely fair weather runners). We try not to stress out over goals (other than finishing together), but I do want to finish in the top half of my old fart AG which is proving to be a low bar as the new AG (  65-69  Wink is getting smaller and I am of course, on the young end of that group.  I figure if I keep at it, I’ll win my AG eventually when I’m the only one in it.  It better not be this race since they don’t have AG awards.

The HM had about 2,000 runners and the Full had about 800.  The courses for the most part stay within sight of Lake Michigan or maybe a few streets over.

Results:

2:18:30  chip time

2:17:26  Garmin

Missed PR by 45 seconds, but 20 seconds faster than Salt Lake City, 2 weeks ago. Slow, but sure.

Me                 DW

OA           1111/1982       1112/1982

Gender      556/776           556/1205

AG            6/14                    13/47

10:36, 10:34, 10:24, 10:31, 10:18, 10:19, 10:17, 10:34, 10:34, 10:29, 10:19, 10:01, 10:01

(watch auto-paused at the PoP at mile 10)

Pre Race:

Drove up early afternoon on Friday and checked into our room at the Best Western Harborside, which is the only hotel downtown, maybe a half mile to the start/finish. Packet pick up (real small expo) was in the hotel, so that was easy.  Had a nice lunch at Captain Mike's Bar across the street (burgers and New Glarus).   Too cold to sit outside and starting to worry about a cold race start.   Walked over to the nearby Civil War Museum (right by the starting line) and went through it for a couple of hours.  It's a nice museum with a very interesting maze layout.  Found a nice upscale Italian restaurant on the way back to the hotel, made a reservation, and rested up at the hotel before going back to the restaurant for some pasta and wine. Now it seemed really cold walking back to the hotel.

As usual, I didn't sleep well, stressing over the race, and how many layers to wear and what I’ll have to throw away.  Got up at 5:30 and stuck my head outside of the lobby to check the weather.  Surprisingly, it actually warmed up (50*) and it looked like 1 layer long sleeves would be comfortable for the walk, starting line wait, and the race.  Luckily the hotel opened its breakfast buffet early for the runners, so I got coffee and loaded up a plate of donuts and muffins and took them to the room.

Race

Left the hotel about 6:30 and it was a comfortable walk to the starting line right next to the harbor.   No assigned corrals (except for the All Cheese corral), but pace times were posted and the runners weren't all packed together like in some fenced corrals.  No pace groups either.  Felt great at the on time start, and there was plenty of room to run as the race started, winding through downtown Kenosha and ran south on the lakefront streets past some beautiful old homes for miles 1 and 2.  We kept to our typical 10:30 pace and for the most part were being passed by quite a few runners, but I didn't care as long as they were younger than me.  Everything felt great except that there was a lot of potholes to dance around. In a way it was good to keep us on our toes and to not think about how many miles we had ahead of us.

The course turned north at 2.5 miles and went through more nice neighborhoods a couple of blocks from the lake.  At mile 5 the race came back through downtown, where most of the spectators were and that was the  un part of the race.  Passed our hotel and thought a Belgian waffle at the breakfast buffet would be great, but decided to keep running anyway.  Miles 6-8 continued north through the lakefront park roads which was an out and back, so we had to watch the centerline cones to keep out of the way of the lead runners who we started to see around mile 6.  I think seeing the lead runners picked us up a bit too.  There were a few small hills along the lake and we sped up and slowed with them.  BTW, the potholes continued through the entire race.  They were even worse than the potholes at home.   PoP was calling and I kept postponing a PoP stop from mile 6, but finally stopped at mile 10 when there was no line.

From there we picked up the pace even though it was starting to warm up. Let me re-phrase that...DW pick up the pace, and I got dragged along and somehow kept up.  Now it was us that were doing the passing.  Mile 11 went past the hotel again ( waffles!!) and back through downtown and more crowds.  At this point I knew we would be close to a PR finish, so I just kept up with DW, although I urged her go on ahead,  She didn't, awww!!

Finish

Although I was starting to ache a bit, I kept the 10:00 finishing pace.  Mile 12 continued south on same route as mile 1, but turned back north (FM continued south)  for the last mile to the finish line at the spacious lakefront park.  We finished strong, (hand in hand of course) lots of spectators and bands playing. Received our medals and headed over to the food tent for brats and beer. Good post race party with bands and various booths.  Very nice setting by the Lake and lots of room.  Couldn't find the photo booth or get our results. Felt pretty good though for completing 2 HM's,  2 weeks apart. And ready for another in 1-2 weeks.  Might even try for a 4 state Saturn Half Fanatic level.

Headed back to the hotel to shower.  Asked for a late check out, but they said no, we could use the pool shower. WTF?? So we hurried and were out by 11:00.

Overall the race was well organized with great volunteer support.  I would recommend it, just watch out for the potholes and cheeseheads.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Well done, Jerry. 12 seconds off the PR after racing two weeks ago is not too shabby. Sorry if I missed it but where is your next race? I hope you two can make it out to Santa Rosa next year. It is a fun race and you guys would enjoy it.

hog4life

You two just amaze me, you're always so consistent. Congrats!

tracilynn

Congrats on another HM. Pretty strong finish too as your last 5K looked very strong. Did you ever get your waffle? Now I want a Belgian waffle.  

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Great job, guys.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks Jack, Mitch, Traci and D.  Next race is 10 miles away in Schaumburg.  We won't need a hotel.  We never got the waffles, just Rustic Road beer and brats.

Nice job, Jerry.

Races along the water are always nice.  Next year maybe they'll offer and aid station with Spotted Cow and Belgian waffles!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Captain Mike's has Spotted Cow and the race passes it twice.

bluerun

Super B****

Congrats!  So close to a PR, too... great job!!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

GinnyinPA

That sounds like a nice race and you ran it well, especially since it was only two weeks after your last race.

What is spotted cow?

LRB

Nice job. It's great that you have turned this into a seek and explore type of hobby.

Consider a selection from New Belgian Brewery to go with your Belgian waffles. Smile

LRB

Since we are talking beer...

Congrats Jerry to you and your DW on your performance.  Pretty impressive considering your just ran another HM two weeks.  Keep it up and I'll start calling you Damaris Jr.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

onemile

I ran this one last year. It's a good race.  Congrats!