Beginners and Beyond

Taking Tuesday by the horns, Penguins (Read 27 times)

Crap, not you!  jjblack.  Third time this week I confuse names!  I'm getting old, sniff.

damn-i thought I was special. I think its just Jimmy who you cant recall his name. you called him by my name the other day.

as far as 14 yrs and not lil rockets, you are probably right. aint gonna happen.

Not trying to get people's business or anything, but why is it that some of the most educated folks want zero or 1 maybe 2 kids?

My sister and her husband both have master's degrees and niether want kids. It may be that he is a Marine and affraid of getting killed and not wanting to leave a wife with kids.

My roommate from grad school was the same way. No kids, No way was her thing.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Singer who runs a smidge

I have a Ph.D., and DH has a B.S.  We don't want kids.  I really never did, though, and mostly I don't want kids because I am too selfish.  I don't want to give up all of my "me" time to raise children!!  DH wasn't ever thrilled with the idea of kids either, so we figured it was a very good thing we ended up together.

I don't know that it has anything to do with our education level, though.  But I guess maybe if you had more education, you'd put off having kids until you finished, probably, and maybe by then you would've gotten used to the idea!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Tomas, that's because we're smart, LOL.

Seriously, studies have been made that confirm that but not sure if there is a reason that applies to all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

TRod a possible theory is that people with higher levels of education tend to be very career oriented. You go to school for long and spend all that money on the education and you want to do what you worked so hard for. And many of those careers would be very hard to be successful in AND be the kind of parent you'd want to be, which may cause a person to end up making a choice, and sometimes that career is the choice. Being able to be in surgery 15 hours a day, travel all the time for business, work very late hours, spend a ton of time in a lab, ect ect may be more important to people who spent so much time and money working to do just tgat than procreating.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

That said, I have a masters degree and I want kids!!! Just not for awhile.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Docket_Rocket

Also, some people might find careers more fulfilling than kids.  Whih is not equal to hating kids, FYI.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I don't hate kids.  I'm just glad they belong to other people.  Big grin

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

On a side note, after working with kids 12 hours per day for the past few years and meeting many parents who are just god awful (abuse, neglect, just not caring, abandonment, ect) I would really, really REALLY prefer if someone does not want to be a parent for them NOT to be. If you don't feel it is ypur calling in life then please, don't do it just cuz you think you should! I will NEVER understand why people make kids and then mistreat them. Not that that applies to ANYONE here or your families, but just wanted to add that.

Dad on the run.

With me having a kid (something I think people are missing out on) I will take my child over a serious career any day. Even when I was single and making good money I still would not change the joy and happiness my child brings me. I would give up everything I own for that little girl.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

That's the thing.  Some wouldn't.  I sure never wanted to have kids at all.  Even as a child, I didn't want to have kids.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Most of the people I know like that live off of welfare and foodstamps. Where the more kids you have the more money you make. So basically they fall under the "love of money" category. They just don't want to work for theirs.

On a side note, after working with kids 12 hours per day for the past few years and meeting many parents who are just god awful (abuse, neglect, just not caring, abandonment, ect) I would really, really REALLY prefer if someone does not want to be a parent for them NOT to be. If you don't feel it is ypur calling in life then please, don't do it just cuz you think you should! I will NEVER understand why people make kids and then mistreat them. Not that that applies to ANYONE here or your families, but just wanted to add that.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Sloooow.

Morning, all!

I believe I'm becoming a poster-child for injuries. Shin-splints in my left leg, and runners knee in my right knee. Going to ice, take two days off everything.

Very interesting reading the posts about kiddos. I came from a family of 6 kids, so I guess I just always wanted them. I can't work or go to school due to immigration status, so the girls keep me busy.

GinnyinPA

Another drizzly, misty day.  I think I'll do a shortish run outside anyway, since yesterday's 6 on the TM put more stress on my body than I expected.  No actual pain, just achy everywhere.  I wasn't going all that fast either, which is weird.

I had no kids either, but mostly because I married someone older who already had grown children.  I've enjoyed being a grandmother, and watching the little ones grow up, but have also been able to enjoy something of a gypsy lifestyle with my husband, which has been fun.  Some days I almost regret choosing not to have children, but mostly I think about the life we've had together, and I'm good with it.

Vance - hope you get some miles in anyway.

Damaris - good job on the almost 10 yesterday.  I hope your husband enjoys the running enough to continue.  Mine can't run because of an artificial knee that has gone wonky.  If not for that, we'd still be hiking and I wouldn't be running.  We do still walk together, just not very far.

Bin - good job on the tempo run.  Could you be having breathing issues because of spring allergies?  You weren't on vacation long enough to make a major dent in your training, but maybe you've pushed too hard since your return?

Margo - good news on the shoulder.  Did it interfere with your race Saturday?  Hope your recovery run today goes well.

Zelanie - enjoy your school visit.

Fitfatboy - enjoy the RD

Tomas - have you been affected by any of the flooding we saw on the news?  I hope today is better.

Kristin - you've had a lot of days lately feeling exhausted.  Is it just reaction to the long drives lately or is something else going on?

Tracilynn - good news on yesterday's run.  Coming back from injury seems really slow sometimes.  I'm still not as fast as I was before my sfx, but I'm so grateful I can run, I don't worry about it.

Scotty - enjoy your evening run.  Hope you have some place shady to go.

HopesMom - are you walking every day or every other day?  I'm glad your knee isn't complaining too loudly.

Jimmy - funny pix.

jack - I'm not surprised you're sore.  Is it mostly the quads from the steep downhill?

SO42 - good luck on your race this weekend.  Sounds like you should be able to achieve your soft goal easily.  Let's see if you can meet your secret goal too.

With me having a kid (something I think people are missing out on) I will take my child over a serious career any day. Even when I was single and making good money I still would not change the joy and happiness my child brings me. I would give up everything I own for that little girl.

this is good stuff.

I am planning my fall race schedule around my 6 yr old's football scedule. Kids are fun and keep things that way. Can they be a pain in the rear? Heck yes.

But things like watching the baby try to take a 1st step is awesome. Or having my 5 yr old tell me that he would rather run a 5k with me than run the 1/4th mile race. (BTW- I will dust his butt at the end of the race on July 4th while pushing the baby in a jog stroller). Seeing his face light up when he learns to read new words. that stuff is freaking priceless.

Tomas

Tomas - have you been affected by any of the flooding we saw on the news?  I hope today is better.

No flooding here except for my living room - damn leaking roof. We had tornados in the area, but nothing within 30 miles from here.

Coralie T- sorry about the legs. I always blame the shoes.

Tomas