Beginners and Beyond

Taking Tuesday by the horns, Penguins (Read 27 times)

SheCan

MOrning penguins!  Y'all have been active today!  Lots of posts.

baboon--- Hi ya!  Nice to have you peek in occasionally!

jblack--LOL @ those trucks!  Makes me think you have a lot of s--t on your mind today.

SO42- better say HI to you today since we don't see you often.  Good luck meeting your goals this weekend.

Damaris-- Ohhhh your DH is really getting into the running!  Lucky you!   (my DD is like you must have been-- she swears she's not going to have kids ever.  Cry  And my son is gay, so my chances of being grandma are going way, way down!)

Coralie-- ugh@ injuries!  Hopefully a couple of days off will be long enough.  It's best not to rush it if you're still having trouble by then.

Today was just another slow pokey pokey 6---notice I didn't say easy, Scotty :Joking.   It was about 81* when I got home.  I guess I'm just going to have to start running earlier.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Well, he can adopt and you'll be a grandma!  Don't despair yet!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Well, he can adopt and you'll be a grandma!  Don't despair yet!

Hehe!  Yup!  Oh I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!  Wink  My kids are still quite young adults.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks Jimmy.  You made me and my cubemate laugh.

Going home now, for short run w/dw.

tracilynn

Kids definitely aren't for everryone! i totally get why some poeple choose not to have them.    I have never given anyone grief about having or not having kids.  My sister and her husband did not have kids so I had 4 to make up for them  Big grin

He is PhD and she has her masters.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Dad on the run.

First order of bracelets should come in today. I will post a pic and get them sent out Friday.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

She Can - You have no idea. On top of all the crap we already have to get paid off, my wife had a crack in her windshield that was repairable only to wake up today and realize it has spread about 10 inches across her windshield. So a free fix has now turned into a $250 dollar problem because it now has to be replaced and the earliest the windshield repair place could come out was this Friday :/

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

lol, HSM, I initially read that first line as "between KNIFING and reading"....and thought Oh My, what is she into now?  Big grin

Nice ones, Jimmy!   Sorry about the windshield.  Tell her to get a jeep - like those old WWII types, lol -  and just drive without a windshield.  And be sure to keep her mouth closed to keep the bugs out... Wink ....and she could get one of those leather jackets and some goggles and......ummmm...is it getting hot in here?   Joking

Jack, I can't help you there. When I did long events, I was lazy and would take about 3 days off after them, lol.  You don't strike me as the type to be as lazy as I am.

SO42, I bet you will surpass your goal for your 5K and do under 30 minutes.  That's what I'm guessing.   You can do it!  Of course, I always try to guess Marjorie's point-something mileage each day, and I'm not very good at that at all, lol....so don't hold me to it.

If you are a sample of 'getting old', Damaris, well then, hot damn, I'll be chasing old ladies' Great Legs from now on!  Big grin

Gail and I don't have any kids either, Tomas. It was a life-choice we made based on the type of life we wanted to have and based on some personal issues of mine.   Gail and I are very 'get-up and go' folks and we traveled all over the world for many years during my military days.  Frankly and to be brutally honest with myself, I'm just too selfish too have kids, and  I just simply and strongly feel I am not the parent type.  I like a lot of 'me' time which is probably hard to do a lot of the time when you have kids.   Probably one reason why me and my grown kids now, from my marriage before Gail, are not really close these days.    I was ALWAYS traveling for the government, and was never really there for them.   And it did not help that I got into that second marriage for all the wrong reasons and it was just awful for several years, which did not help the kids either.  Yet the odd thing is now that they are grown, we do get along better now than we did when they were kids.   Anyway, I think there are many reasons, based on your personal outlook, lifestyle, etc, not to have kids.  There is nothing wrong with having kids, of course, great for the folks who want that and are prepared to deal with all that entails; but I also think there is nothing wrong with not wanting to have them either.    I don't mind kids, I like them overall and get along with them short-term.  I just don't want to live with them.  Each of us has to decide what is right for us personally.

Hope you feel better, Coralie! Get a compression sleeve for the shin splints, that will help a bit.  And ice is your friend!

Good luck with your miles, Ginny!  Hope the weather behaves for you!

81 is pretty sweeet weather to run in, SheCan!  Nice and 'cool' by Texas and Miami standards. Right, Damaris?  Joking  Slow and pokey, huh? But..did you enjoy it?  When it comes down to it, that's all that really matters.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5k pace turned into MP as dw wilted in the heat.  Time for a beer and a nap on the deck.

Docket_Rocket

Depending on the humidity.  Normal 80F is nice and cool, yes.

81 is pretty sweeet weather to run in, SheCan!  Nice and 'cool' by Texas and Miami standards. Right, Damaris?  Joking  Slow and pokey, huh? But..did you enjoy it?  When it comes down to it, that's all that really matters.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

D'oh, you caught me!  I really am a whimp about heat.

Cherie

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Home from work - quick check in -

those septic truck pics are hilarious!

Damaris - well done to your DH!

I'm sucking down a cup of coffee and about to sprint out the door.  Tired for some reason.  Also found out my work schedule may change temporarily back to 12 hour shifts - 6a to 6p.  That'd work ok for awhile - I'd get out of work and immediately run.  We'll see what happens.

tracilynn

Yes it is 77 here today with a dew point of 41 !!  Feels just awesome. We have about 10  perfect spring days like this and then the humidity arrives and we swelter all summer long. Blah.  Thankful for these days though and kiddos & I have been outside all day long.

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

No rain while I ran, but the humidity was about 85%, so it almost felt like it was raining.  At least it was cool (61).  Still feeling stiff, so I didn't push the distance, but no actual pain.

Cherie - I can definitely relate to the slow-pokey run.

Jimmy - sorry about the windshield.  We've had a chip on our window for about four years.  Never gets bigger - but one of these days it'll bloom.

One Half So Far

Got some time here this afternoon.  Back is acting up so I may not run today, even though it's beautiful outside.

Vance: What events does DS do?

DR: Yay on getting the hubster out with you.  Would love to have my wife start running, but she's arthritic and running is hell on her knees.

Bin: It's hard for EVERYONE to get up at 3 am.  Better to stay up that late, I guess...

Margo: oh, GACK, didn't know you had frozen shoulder.  I have that.  It's a side effect of my diabetes II and it SUCKS.  It comes and goes with me...some days my mobility is fine, others not so much.  Have had a cortisone injection in mine, too.  It's unpleasant.

Zel: Good to see you're out on the road again.  Come to Springfield and do the moonlight run on June 1!  /subtle

Fit: Have fun on RD today.  I have days like that all the time.

Tomas: Hope everyone there is safe and dry.

Kristin: The only advantage of me being an afternoon runner is what you did today.

Phil: Rude and insensitive?  You?  Never.

Traci: Running without pain for the win.

Scotty: Have a good run.  The weather you describe would be called "unseasonably hot and miserable" here.

HsM: Keep up with the walking! PS: If I'm on the naglist, I'm headed there next.

Jblack: At what point should I be concerned about your propensity to take pictures of septic trucks?

Jack K: If you feel like going out, go.  If you feel like it would be better for your body to RD, RD.

SO42: Good luck with your race and goals!

Coralie: Yow!

Ginny: I always hurt after running on the treadmill.  I think the belt pulling on your feet messes with your legs.

Cherie: 6 is 6.  Slow is still running.  All good.

Jerry: Yay for a run!

So.  To jump on the debate about kids.....my wife and I have none.  Never wanted any.  Been working with 150 teenagers a day for the last 25 years now, and nothing that's happened during that time has made me regret not having kids. Won't presume to tell others how to raise theirs, either, although some things I've seen.....*Sigh*

Anyhoo.  Last class of the day is out the door, and I will be in an hour. Feeling like I should run; hopefully my back will let me.  Maybe if I soak it in the hot tub first....

Have a happy and healthy day, amigos.

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.