Beginners and Beyond

A question on strides... (Read 111 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

When do you do them?  For example, I have a run next week that calls for 8 miles with 10x100m strides. I know my DD's XC team usually do their strides after their run and before their post-run stretching. When do you do your strides? In the middle of the run? After the run? All 10 consecutively or spread out during the entire run?

Thanks in advance.

LRB

I usually do 6 to 8 strides once a week, at the end of an easy run.

Because of the distance covered running the strides and recoveries, I start them with about 1.5 miles left in my run.

So when I say I ran 7 miles easy with 7 strides, I started the first one at mile 5.5, then alternated recoveries and strides for the duration of the run, and finished with 7 miles total.  Not 7 miles then strides, but I suppose some people may do that.

Docket_Rocket

I usually do them mid to end of the run.  If 8 miles with 10 X 100m, I usually would run 3-4 warmup miles and spend the rest of the 8 doing strides, recover, strides, recover.  I don't think there is a wrong way of doing them.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

I usually do 6 to 8 strides once a week, at the end of an easy run.

Because of the distance covered running the strides and recoveries, I start them with about 1.5 miles left in my run.

So when I say I ran 7 miles easy with 7 strides, I started the first one at mile 5.5, then alternated recoveries and strides for the duration of the run, and finished with 7 miles total.  Not 7 miles then strides, but I suppose some people may do that.

So when my plan says 20 miles w/ 10 @ MP, I shouldn't do a 20 mile warmup and then 10 more @ MP? Big grin

Do them whenever you want, JK. I like to do them towards the end of my run, within my planned mileage. So with our example, I'd probably start striding within the last 1.5 miles. I bet DD's team does strides at the end of the run along with a whole bunch of other drills the coach throws at them.

happylily

Because I tend to make mine more like 150 meters, and I do 10 of them, on a TM, and I set the speed way too high for my ability (and I will one day trip and end up on crutches...), I am usually left exhausted and I need to cool down about one mile before the end of my run. So I'd say I do them at the end of my easy runs, like a 6 to 9 miler, one mile before the run is over.

EDIT: I wasn't clear. If I run 7 miles, for instance, I will start the strides at mile 4. Do 10 of them with recovery, over the next 2 miles, then I bring down the speed to easy again and cool down for another mile. So 7 total.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

So when my plan says 20 miles w/ 10 @ MP, I shouldn't do a 20 mile warmup and then 10 more @ MP? Big grin

Nope, that's 10 easy, 10 @ MP, then 10 easy.  ; )

B-Plus

Nope, that's 10 easy, 10 @ MP, then 10 easy.  ; )

I'm gonna do a 3-day carbo-load for that one!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thanks, you guys. I am getting the idea that strides are to get your legs "familiar" with speed. I guess I will do them around mile 6 and use whatever is left for my cool down.

B-Plus: you are exactly right on the XC team. They usually do their strides barefoot on grass.

Trail Monster

My plan calls for them at the end of workouts. I will probably do them the last mile before cool down. But I can't say for sure because I'm not actually doing them YET. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LRB

But I can't say for sure because I'm not actually doing them YET. Smile

For me, the first one always blows because you are trudging along at your slow pace, then expected to breakout into an all out sprint.  Once you do breakout though, watch out!

Love the Half

An extensive cool down isn't really necessary.  They don't help in injury prevention although you can faint if you suddenly stop after very hard running.  (At least that's what you'll read.  I see people run hard 5K's all the time and I have never seen anyone faint so I'm not entirely sure I buy that argument).  I do two mile cool downs after hard workouts primarily just to get in extra mileage.

As for strides, I typically do strides approaching the end of an easy run, I'll start them with maybe two miles left in the run.  By the time I do 10-12 of them, there's only a half mile or so left to go before I'm finished.  I wouldn't do them early in a run as you would induce a fair amount of fatigue and then have the rest of your run to go.  I also find strides at the end of a long run difficult but worth it as they help me with the mental discipline of picking up the pace even when I am very fatigued.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Bin Running

Jack, not sure if I am doing mine right..  I normally slot the strides in between..

If it is 8M w/ 10 x 100.. I would do 2M WU, 5M with strides at end of 0.5M intervals.. Cool down for 1M..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

I do them at the end of easy runs. I've always done them that way but I think it is up to the individual. As LtH said I wouldn't do them early in the run though.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Agree with most everyone else:

I do strides typically at the end of a workout, and then have a cool down run.

Unless of course the workout is the strides, in which case I run 3-4+ miles to warm up then do my stride repeats with jog/ walk recovery between and then a 2+ mile cool down.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Jack, I am in the same predicament as you with regards to when to complete strides.  I am in week 4 of my very first Pfitz 18/55 and up and until now have never done concentrated strides as part of a training run.  First 2 times I did a 2 mile wu/ then a stride every 0.5 mile using the time between as a cool down.  Worked well but I found the last 2 miles of cool down a little more than an easy effort.  Still, I liked the idea of having them in the middle of the run as I could concentrate on each one as part of the training regimen rather than just trying to get through them at the end of a run as I might.

There was a good article on strides in the main forum here on RA, what I got out of it was that strides are not a full sprint at a 5k or 3k pace when incorporated in a speed workout like Pfitz, but rather a form building exercise.  No need to get up on your toes and sprint all out, but rather increase pace and hold at a harder level, concentrating on foot placement, leg turnover, shoulder position, breathing and stride length.  I think I ran my strides too fast, for tomorrows run I will try to slow down but continue to work on maintaining form.