Beginners and Beyond

How Many Days Per Week Do You Run? (Read 135 times)

happylily

For the last 33 days, I've been running 7, sometimes 8 or even 9 times a week. Before that, with a lesser training plan, I was running a maximum of 6 days a week. Between marathons, I run 5 times a week. On vacation, sometimes I only run 4 days a week. I think that ideally, though, 5 days/week is want I would like to do if I were not into marathons. Maybe I'll go down to that after this one training plan.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I thought that was your LRS angle when you paced for the slower-paced group runs. Big grin

Turns out she's "talking to" a guy whose waist is smaller and times are faster lol.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

YAYpril - B-Plus

I think 35-40mpw is fantastic!

Heh, thanks. Smile It's still weird to think of myself running that much, when a couple months ago it seemed insane. This week will be my first "official" 40 mile week (I technically hit one a couple weeks ago from Sunday to Saturday, but my training weeks are Monday to Sunday). I'm planning on using Pfitz 18/55 this summer for my first marathon so I guess it's good to get used to the higher mileage now.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Turns out she's "talking to" a guy whose waist is smaller and times are faster lol.

Boooo! Not cool. Boooooo.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I keep trying to do 5 days a week -  I went from Tue-Thurs-Sat-Sun to Tues-Wed-Thurs-Sat-Sun a few times - and went on that schedule this week too - but you'd think I have learned by now...my back just does NOT like the 5-day schedule.  Sure enough, after my run last night, the 3rd day in a row for this week, my back was REALLY nagging me.   Stupid arthritis. Angry    So I suppose I will just have to stick to my 4-day  week schedule and make the best of it.  Ehh, it could be worse.  At least I am able to still get out there and do some running.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

WTF SIAR. My kinda recently ended streak was also 61 days. Last time I had a gf, I took about 3 straight months off lol.

I don't plan rest days, but take one when necessary or when I feel lazy.

Zelanie

Depends on where I'm at in my training cycle, I guess. I went from 5 to 6 to hit the mileage I needed in my plan. Now that the miles are coming back down, I could stick with 6 shorter or go back to 5 slightly longer. With a family, 5 seems a bit easier as fas as stuff coming up and me being able to do stuff with them on the fly.

Going from 5 to 6 does end up making a huge difference as far as consecutive days running, too, because of the way the weeks run together.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

WTF SIAR. My kinda recently ended streak was also 61 days. Last time I had a gf, I took about 3 straight months off lol.

I don't plan rest days, but take one when necessary or when I feel lazy.

If you had a streak widget on your training log I'd have gone 62 to beat you ha.

April...I agree, boo. He came to one of the group runs and proceeded to leap over a trash can while on the run. We all just kinda laughed at him...so at least I'm not a tool haha.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

6, and I'm usually between 35-50 mpw. I REALLY look forward to my rest day! I do 2-3 days of a hard pace workout (either intervals or a tempo) and one long run so I am usually really ready for a rest day. I usually take it on a Wednesday or a Thursday.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I run five days a week. Monday is always a rest day for me and my other rest day varies depending on my workout or training schedule. If a tweak something or feel that something is not right, I will take a day or two off. At my age I am very comfortable running five days a week, usually around 35-40 mpw. If I ever train for a marathon I may bump it up to six days a week, if my body can handle it. We'll see...

Village people

If we are counting doubles, my answer is often more than 6 times/week. This I week I have run 7 times, so far.

FTR, I am not training for any races, so if I split up my miles it isn't a big deal. i like doing them.

B-Plus

If you had a streak widget on your training log I'd have gone 62 to beat you ha.

I took it off when I ended my streak. It was just too enticing to keep the streak alive. You actually beat me because I cheated. My streak included coming back this way over the international date line.

These days, I run more like 3 out of 7.  

Hey, don't knock 3 days/week, I ran a marathon on that! Y'all can imagine how well that went. Actually not too dissimilar from many other RR's I've read, but I certainly realized I needed to beef that up. So after that I went to 4-5; no SRD's, on non-running days I crosstrain with yoga.

It was not really till I started hanging out on these forums a couple months ago that I realized most people seem run 6-7 days. Increasing my running days & decreasing yoga seems to give me a lot more aches & pains, so I have been cautious to try to avoid injury. But I am going to keep working towards it.

Dave

I have to admit, I'd trade 3, maybe even 4, runs per week for a nice girlfriend lol. 

Me too, if I had the days to give, but I don't think my wife would be too keen on it.

Dave

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

Ahhh yes, the wife, kids, job, and home factor.  I've always wondered how much faster I would be without them Big grin

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???