Beginners and Beyond

How Many Days Per Week Do You Run? (Read 135 times)

Dr. Cornsitter

I have to admit, I'd trade 3, maybe even 4, runs per week for a nice girlfriend lol. For now, I run on!

Hi Blush How you doin'?

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Mostly harmless

I've upped my running from 4 to 5 days per week while training for the marathon I'm running (TOMORROW) and that's worked well for me. The one week I added a 6th day is also when I injured my Achilles and had to sit for 4 days but that was probably a coincidence.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

I'm currently running 6 days a week, with Sunday my rest day.  Sunday is church and family day for us and I don't want my running to interfere with it, so it's a RD by default.

ETA:  I'm only running about 30 mpw right now, but I like being in the habit of running daily, so I've kept the 6 days.  I am building up my mileage, so it's just as well.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Not quite right

5 days a week with Monday and Friday off days. I always do nothing on Friday on Monday usually hit the gym for some cross training. I am will skip a run if I don't feel like it but try to keep a reg schedule.

Ball of Fury

I am currently running 6 days per week, a la the Hanson plan, but previously was running 4-5.  I am actually enjoying 6 (when I don't have to take URD because of my ITB or my ridiculous 36 hour shifts), but I do need my rest day.  I think if I didn't work 60-70 hours a week and have 2 small children, I could run many, many more miles and enjoy it...maybe when I retire Big grin

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Robert31320

Team TJ

Currently I'm running 4 days per week.  I plan to go to 5 in April.

Running for TJ because he can't.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hi Blush How you doin'?

Haha, funny. +2 points for you! As you can see from my avatar though, no beach running going on around here lol.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

6, sometimes 7.  It's not unheard of if I take an SRD every other week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MrNamtor

Hey, don't knock 3 days/week, I ran a marathon on that! Y'all can imagine how well that went. Actually not too dissimilar from many other RR's I've read, but I certainly realized I needed to beef that up. So after that I went to 4-5; no SRD's, on non-running days I crosstrain with yoga.

It was not really till I started hanging out on these forums a couple months ago that I realized most people seem run 6-7 days. Increasing my running days & decreasing yoga seems to give me a lot more aches & pains, so I have been cautious to try to avoid injury. But I am going to keep working towards it.

You can do the 3 day/week training for marathon if you do Galloway. I have a friend that did 9 marathons like that and had 4:10 times in most of them, something like that. I know, I don't even run marathons and I look down on what he did. But he was happy with it.

Dr. Cornsitter

Haha, funny. +2 points for you! As you can see from my avatar though, no beach running going on around here lol.

I only need the beach 3 months out of the year ;-)

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

MrNamtor

I just run a bunch of days until I feel like I'll need to rest the next day, then I rest the next day. It's usually 4 - 7 days of running, then a rest day. I only take off 2 + days if I'm injured.

I  run an average of (according to my log) 5-6 days a week.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I only need the beach 3 months out of the year ;-)

By this point of winter I start to feel like I'd prefer the option of beach running every day!

Namtor...I agree that the likelihood of walking at some point in the marathon is greater if you're running 3x/wk, but it isn't a given if you're coming to running with a fair amount of fitness from other activities.

yeoldefatguy

Maybe once per week. If I'm feeling really masochistic I might do it twice.

happylily

By this point of winter I start to feel like I'd prefer the option of beach running every day!

Namtor...I agree that the likelihood of walking at some point in the marathon is greater if you're running 3x/wk, but it isn't a given if you're coming to running with a fair amount of fitness from other activities.

You mean like golf?

(just kidding... just kidding... :-))

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You mean like golf?

(just kidding... just kidding... :-))

Grrhh...me hears golf is an athletic sport though Smile  And actually, I do walk all of my rounds, so there is something of a fitness quotient.  But no, I was thinking more of the basketball/soccer/football variety.