Beginners and Beyond

Social Thursday Penguins (Read 20 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  NYRR is doing some "social 5k" which I'm not running tonight.  So perhaps I'm being anti-social =P  But I did a group run last night which was pretty social.  I didn't wind up running home from it because the run went a little later than I thought it would.  Today will be a very easy day because the hills and faster pace at Central Park yesterday have made me a tired girl.  I'll probably run in the evening, something in the realm of 6 miles.  This week is a cutback week on my training plan so I'm not going to try to make up for the 2.7 missing miles from yesterday. Maybe that's the evil lazy twin talking...

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, I hope you get a nice run in tonight!  You are doing great - no worries for you on laziness.  

I'm headed out in a minute for 8 miles (hopefully - I don't have a route picked and it's already getting warm out there, ugh).  Then this afternoon I gotta take my dog to the vet.  He has a congenital heart problem that we always knew this breed could get...now that he's 11, he's developing symptoms.  (trouble breathing). He is a happy, perky pooch, so we're hoping the vet can give him something that alleviates the gasping and keeps him perky and happy for another few years!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Quartet rehearsal last night was good -- we're focusing a little more on next spring's contest music, since we have coaching on Saturday.  Tonight is chorus, and then my crazy weekend begins!!  I'm off work tomorrow since my parents are coming in tonight.  So I'll spend the day with them tomorrow, then bail on them for coaching on Saturday.  My folks leave on Sunday, at which point I'll be ready for a nap!

sapf -- glad you enjoyed the social run!!

Brilliant -- good luck with your 8, and with your doggy!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Hey pens.  Track last night went pretty well.  I ended up padding my mileage because I could, and I know I will be busy this weekend.  So I warmed up for 3.4, ran the workout with the group, then cooled down for 4.  The workout was nice- there were more people than usual and a couple of new faces.  It was a bit cooler than it has been- around 80 at start time, so that might be what made the difference.

Tonight I have the group run with the club.  Feels like forever since I've done once since I was in Colorado 2 weeks ago, and last week it was canceled for the 108-degree temps!

Sapf- Glad you had a good group run, and I wouldn't stress those miles, especially on a cutback week!

Brilliant- Hope that you can find some treatment for your dog!

HsM- Hope that you have a good visit with the family!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Definitely social for me last night!  Nice run/walk last night at 6:30 pm along the San Antonio Riverwalk with a lot of my friends; it was a group run for Team RWB (Red White and Blue) and a fundraiser party for a local nonprofit Street 2 Feet.  Really good turn-out, over 100 people. Started and finished at the VFW Post 76.  Sure it was 98 degrees with 102 heat index, but the humidity was low, there was a nice breeze blowing off the river and lots of shade along the Riverwalk trails, so I did okay...3.8 miles in 40 minutes.

Post-run, a nice little party at the VFW, with sausage wraps, beer, and other cold drinks, music, and friends.  Some random photos here at this link (if it works):   https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205822357772748&set=a.10205822257090231.1073742063.1071496686&type=1&permPage=1

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

sapf - enjoy your run this evening.  Only 3 miles with a group isn't really worthwhile, unless you are going to run with good friends or plan to pad it again.  Easier to just do your own thing.

Z - that was some serious w/u and c/d miles yesterday.  I'll do 2 miles w/u, but I don't think I've ever done more than a mile c/d.  Have fun at tonight's group run.  Same group?

Brilliant - I hope you have a good eight.  Good luck at the vet. What kind of dog do you have?  I hope they are able to give something to help with the breathing.

HM - enjoy your long weekend.

Scotty - last night's run sounds like fun. 

AFM:  short run later today, only four or five miles, which is too bad as it's supposed to be much cooler.  I am pretty loose about following plans especially when I'm early in the program.  Add a mile here or there, no big deal.  Later on I probably won't be as willing to do extra.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Ran 6.2 miles this morning.  Pilates later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

sapf - enjoy your run this evening.  Only 3 miles with a group isn't really worthwhile, unless you are going to run with good friends or plan to pad it again.  Easier to just do your own thing.

Yeah I agree... yesterday I did their 5 mile route which was 5.3 miles total (their route mapping was just off I think because all of us in the group got 5.3ish miles).  I think I wouldn't do 3 with a group, but 5 seems reasonable.  They also have a 7 mile group which maybe I'll do at some point but not when it is 80+ degrees out.

Zelanie

Scotty- Sounds like a great time!  Glad you've had time to adjust to those temps!

Ginny- It is the same group, but the Thursday social runs usually get a lot more people than the Wednesday track group.  Did I miss you signing up for something? 

D- Glad you got your run in already!

hog4life

Hey everyone! I got up early and beat the thunderstorms rolling through for 7.9 miles. If the storms pass through I'll run again tonight with the running club.

Brill, hope your pup is ok. My Bella is having some sort of skin rash or something. She is itching a lot lately. We changed her food to a no grains, no gluten type in hopes that she was allergic to the other food. She's only been on it a couple weeks so can't tell if it's helping much. I should probably take her to the vet.

GinnyinPA

Mitch - could she have gotten into some poison ivy on one of your runs?  We have a lot around here.  It doesn't bother Ben, but I have it on my legs and arm right now.

Z - I haven't signed up for anything, since I have no idea what we'll end up doing this fall, but I decided to start training for a possible marathon in November (Harrisburg) in case we don't go anywhere.  It's small enough I can sign up in October, if all goes well.  Our summer plans so far have gone completely awry, so it seemed like a good idea to have something as back up.  Besides, I need something fun to look forward to.  If we do end up on the road, I'll look for a HM I can do instead. I'm hoping I can do my race, then head out west to visit family in late fall, as we did a couple of years ago, but it's still possible we'll end up wandering in August/September instead.

hog4life

Ginny, I don't think it's that. I've done a little reading and it sounds like a bacteria type thing. It's mostly on her feet, like between her toes and between the pads and the first joint(ankle, wrist).

LRB

Morning Pens!  NYRR is doing some "social 5k" which I'm not running tonight.  So perhaps I'm being anti-social...

lol

Brilliant

I had a good 7.75.  Couldn't motivate myself to run up and down the street for the last quarter mile. 

Hopesmom, have a fun weekend!

Zel, your run last night sounds great!

Ginny, have a good run.

Mitch, I hope you figure out what's wrong with Bella to get her some relief.  It's so hard when our pets feel bad!

Damaris, nice running...enjoy the pilates.

My pup is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - they are known for heart problems.  Sad