Beginners and Beyond

Do you like where you live in regards to running? (Read 168 times)

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

YES! I live in Brooklyn, NY in the Bay Ridge neighborhood....I am .5 miles from Shore Road Park which has a jogging path right on the Bay with a great view of Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty, goes right under the Verrazano Bridge, and is about 4-5 miles long end to end. Then I am 4 miles from Prospect Park, which is a lovely park designed by Frederick Law Olmstead and has a 3.5 mile running and biking loop around the perimeter. Then I have Greenwood  Cemetary 3 miles away which is gigantic and beautiful with a lot of paths. 6 miles away I have Brooklyn Bridge Park with stunning views of Manhatyab, the Brooklyn Brodge and the Manhattan Bridge, and both those bridges have pedestrian walkways so I can run over them. Then 45 mins on the subway takes me to Central Park. LOVE running in NYC! That said though, I also love getting out of the city and running in a more woodsy environment when I can.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

delicate flower

It is good where were are.  A good mix of flat and hilly suburban roads.  The paved bike path is always a good option if I want to get away from cars entirely, and it goes on for more miles than I'll ever be able to cover in a single run.  The main road gets busy during rush hour but there is a big enough shoulder.  There are also a number of running stores in the area, and the two local race circuits put on lots of great events.  I can pretty much find a race every weekend if I want to.  Seriously, the only thing I worry about on my runs is encountering bears.

<3

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Manytab was supposed to say Manhattan but my phone doesn't let me edit

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

Jess runs for bacon

D, I was expecting you to respond but not with that, that's horrible! We've had some bike and pedestrian deaths around here too unfortunately, the one spot had two bike accidents, one fatal (and he was a bike safety proponent) In less than two months. Running seems to be fairly safe though.

scotty, one day I will spend a week in San Antonio and just run around all week. I always love your pics!

KK, that looks beautiful!

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

D, I was expecting you to respond but not with that, that's horrible! We've had some bike and pedestrian deaths around here too unfortunately, the one spot had two bike accidents, one fatal (and he was a bike safety proponent) In less than two months. Running seems to be fairly safe though.

scotty, one day I will spend a week in San Antonio and just run around all week. I always love your pics!

Thanks, it's interesting to hear where people run and live.

Docket_Rocket

Weird thing is that the cyclists were killed on their own late on a well cycled bridge.  Very weird.

I don't have many issues with running the streets where I live.  Although sometimes someone is texting and the car turns to me but I have enough room to move the heck out of their way.  They usually act surprised to see someone there.

Which is why during the Winter, I loved my knuckle lights.  If you're heading into a Miami intersection and the asshole is rolling the light to turn, the knuckle lights will make him stop in 1 second because they think there's a truck coming towards them. Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dr. Cornsitter

I loved where I lived/ran as of March 31st. I lived in Winthrop, MA, which is a small island/man-made penisula off of Boston. It was safe and small, but I could run along the beaches (go figure) up and down the North Shore. I had a GORGEOUS 7-8 mile loop down and out around Deer Isle which provided fantastic views of the Boston skyline and Harbor Islands. It was truly beautiful.

I live on Cape Cod now, which provides some lovely beach running, but I am still getting into the swing of things. I have found more hills and trail running, which is kind of a first for me. There could be worse places, like Damaris' nightmare, but I'm not loving where I run right now.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Manytab was supposed to say Manhattan but my phone doesn't let me edit

What's a Manhatyab?  If that's autocorrect, it's on crack.  If you typed it, well...  Smile

Docket_Rocket

He.  You could run in South Beach, but you would need to drive at least 30 minutes without traffic.  And that's where I head on the weekends.  That part is at least interesting.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And to answer the OP, I can't complain.  Our town has 100 miles of trails in the city, and a couple of hundred in rails-to-trails outside the city.  Not the greatest place to get hill training, though.

Jess runs for bacon

Lol at the knuckle lights Damaris!

Kristin, I am jealous. I need to run in Manhattan more. I've done Hudson River park which is cool but that's it.

LRB

Michigan is runner friendly, there are some really nice trails, paths and parks to run here.  Dealing with extremes in weather is another story.