Beginners and Beyond

"World's Best Beer" available temporarily in U.S. (Read 439 times)

mucknort

Gah closest place to me is north of Springfield Mass... Babbon you work up that way don't you?   hmmmm since my wife hasn't gotten me a christmas gift yet....

I'm in that area. Are you talking Northampton/Amherst?

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

I'm not sure where exactly the place that was supposed to have it, but the guys in the office say its north of Springfield  will have to double check.

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

At this point, eBay may be the best option for obtaining this nectar. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Westvleteren+12&_sacat=0&_from=R40

BTW, there are over 20 bids for the 6 empty bottles in box - currently $325!!!

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

Some guys at the office went on their lunch to pick up a few gift packs for themselves.  I used to drink it years ago when it was available in the states, so I wasn't as excited.  And I don't believe in reselling something like that.  I'd rather enjoy it.

Mr MattM

Some guys at the office went on their lunch to pick up a few gift packs for themselves.  I used to drink it years ago when it was available in the states, so I wasn't as excited.  And I don't believe in reselling something like that.  I'd rather enjoy it.

Um, it has never been available for retail sales in the states.  Ever.

be curious; not judgmental

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

Well, let's say "more readily available" than it is now.  You just had to look in the right places.

Mr MattM

Well, let's say "more readily available" than it is now.  You just had to look in the right places.

Again, no... but whatever.  Their production has always been limited to what they needed to sell to fund their Abbey.  The cases could only be purchased at the Abbey in Belgium, by appointment made well in advance, in limited quantities, and you had to arrive in the car with the license plate number you gave them on the phone when you made your appointment.  They have never sold their product any other way.

While it's possible that a few individuals brought or shipped cases to the US, it has never been done at a scale that could make it any way considered 'available' in the US.

The only way I could get it was to buy 6 from an individual in Belgium and have it shipped to me directly.

I've no idea why you believe that it used to be 'more available'.  But again, whatever.

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

You know, I could dignify you with an answer here but I choose not to.  What would it matter to such an authority anyhow? Cheers, and carry on.  Nothing to see here.

Mr MattM

MattM:

Is it THAT much better than St. Bernardus Abt.12 to specially seek out? (Not taking rarity into consideration)

So, I talked with the owner of one of my favorite local beer stores (who carries a large selection of belgian ales) and found out that apparently there was/is a licensing problem here in my state.  The distributor wasn't able to complete some licensing process in time, so they redirected the bricks that were set to come here back to the west coast.  I am out of luck.

With a heavy heart, I purchased a St Bernadus gift set.

Ken WD

Apparently it sold out insanely fast in Toronto.

Unfortunately, yes. Every store that had it had more people waiting in line than there was product on the shelf. I showed up at 7:30am to a store that opened up at 9am and missed out by about 20-30 spots in line. I probably had to get there at 6:30am to get it.

Not the end of the world, I do have 4 previously acquired bottles of Westy 12 at home still. It is a great beer. It is a great beer. I wouldn't call it the best in the world, but it is certainly up there for me. It is not a huge difference from St. Bernardus Abt 12, but it still is a nice thing to have in your beer cellar. 

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

I will be visiting Belgium in April.  I appreciate one of their fine products (chocolate, of course), but I really have no beer sense.  I honestly probably had my 10th beer ever this past week.  Is there a way to do a crash course so I can be ready in April to drink beer there and appreciate it appropriately?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You know, I could dignify you with an answer here but I choose not to.

I'm curious, do tell Smile

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I will be visiting Belgium in April.  I appreciate one of their fine products (chocolate, of course), but I really have no beer sense.  I honestly probably had my 10th beer ever this past week.  Is there a way to do a crash course so I can be ready in April to drink beer there and appreciate it appropriately?

Where are you going in Belgium? You won't need to know that much to appreciate the beers here.

I'd suggest  trying different craft beers in your area to get an idea of what you like. Although it's always a good idea to try going outside your comfort zone to try something you've never tried before. Hopefully you've got a decent tolerance or else you won't be able to try many in one shot. One time I had three different beers and then realized that they were 10-12% so it was like I'd had more than a bottle of wine.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

With a heavy heart, I purchased a St Bernadus gift set.

That's still a decent consolation Joking. I picked up a Westmalle Abbey set for myself yesterday... I'm loving the goblet.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them