Beginners and Beyond

Help!!! My plan is shot and I have 3 weeks til taper for HM...what do I do?? (Read 144 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Also.... I don't want to scrap the half. I have been "training" for this for almost a year (though my official plan was 20 weeks, I knew on October 13th last year I wanted to do this race this year....I bought an "In Training" shirt for it October 13th, 2012.....if I was injured, fine, I'd have to....but it was a $100 non-refundable race that I have been working towards, mentally at least, for the past year). I am aware that whatever time goal my plan laid out may be moot, but I would like to finish the race. And then focus on the next half... and try to do better.

I think maybe people are confusing how much I race with "race effort." I know it is hard for some people to understand why I would run a race and not "race" it, but I rarely "race" my races. I do a lot of them for fun, for friendship, for charity. I love pinning on a bib and the energy of race day. It keeps me going. It is why I love running. I will run most races faster than my "easy/jogging" pace, but not approaching an all-out effort. I can tell you I have truly done that maybe 3 or 4 times and no times since May.

I would like to reach my full running potential, and one day soon be able to "race" a half and really see what I can do. I am aware that my half in October may not be a true exhibition of my potential. But I do want to finish. I know that may not make sense to a lot of people, but I feel like I have come too far to drop the race because my plan didn't go perfectly. Unless I was injured. Which, knock on wood, I am not.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

I think you'll be fine Kristin.  I didn't race either of my HMs, and I still enjoyed myself both times.   Everyone's in it for a different reason.   You just gotta figure out what to do about these next three weeks though.  Joking

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I think you'll be fine Kristin.  I didn't race either of my HMs, and I still enjoyed myself both times.   Everyone's in it for a different reason.   You just gotta figure out what to do about these next three weeks though.  Joking

Trying! lol Keep advising, forumites Joking

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

My personal suggestion:

Run the next 4 weeks as if you're still training but modify so that you're getting your miles in.  The ONLY other thing I would consider quality wise would be either HILLS and/or FARTLEKS.....Nothing more!  And only do that once each of those weeks between now and then.

Your 5th week (taper week) should be just that.  Cut your mileage in about half for that week & just coast into your HM.

Nothing amazing but I think you'll benefit from some hills & fartleks between now & then.  Save another serious attempt at long-term training for another day! Smile

Randy

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It sounds like you've gotten in more runs than your training log indicates, even if they weren't great runs.  There are things outside of running that you can clear up, and you're motivated to get back on track.  I think this has been a productive thread.  Now, get er done!  Ha!  I would lay off of the speed work, and just focus on easy miles.  If you're legs are feeling good, and you want to run some fartleks that would probably be fine.  You could even run a few strides toward the end of a couple of runs, but I'd just lay off of the formal speed work.

I know life can get hectic, but try to schedule your days in a way that will allow you to fit in quality meals and quality sleep.  It really does help.  I really only get 5-7 hours of sleep, but that's been my norm since college.  Usually, if I get 7 hours I'm waking up with a hangover...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

I would still take a few days off even though you already did.  try to make your legs go back to fresh status. Once you do that, restart and do mostly easy runs and get your miles in.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jess runs for bacon

Nutrition..... didn't consider that!!! Well I ate every single meal out for almost 3 straight weeks, more dessert and booze lately than I've had in months, and gained 5 pounds. Oops?  And my sleep schedule has been all over the place, though I haven't had a lack of sleep, just different hours as I've been off work for a month and did a lot of traveling. But this is my first full week back to work in a month so that should settle down now and I am getting back to my usual eating schedule, diet and sleeping schedule.

I bet this didn't help.

I also agree to take a few days off, then do the rest of your runs easy and focus on the long run. You should have time to get up to 12, then taper for a week.

It's your first half, just go out there and have fun.

Kristin, post this in the general area, Nobby who designed the plan will likely see that and may offer help.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Besides nutrition, have you considered you may be anemic or fighting a low-grade infection? Consistent fatigue over that length of time is not normal. With 5 weeks until the race, you still have time to salvage it. I would switch to all easy runs and a few strides once or twice a week with a goal of logging as many miles as you can handle. Then cut the taper to one week, but make it a sharp taper with a drastic reduction in miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

When I had a similar issue a couple of years ago, here's what Nobby suggested (for a 25-30 MPW runner), The days with strides, warmup for a mile (or 10-12 min) and cool down for a mile.

Monday:           20~30 minutes easy jog or cross training

Tuesday:          Hill running or easy fartlek

Wednesday:     20~30 minutes easy jog

Thursday:         1:00~1:20 minutes aerobic running

Friday:              Rest or cross training or easy jog

Saturday:         5~10 × 100m easy strides

Sunday:           1:45~2:00 easy aerobic running

Monday:           20~30 minutes easy jog or cross training

Tuesday:          1:20 minutes aerobic running

Wednesday:     30 minutes easy jog

Thursday:         Rest or cross training or easy jog

Friday:              3~5×100m easy strides

Saturday:         Tempo run for 20~30 minutes OR 2~3×5 minutes with 3 minutes’ walk/jog break

Sunday:        1:30~1:45 easy jog

From my very limited running experience:

I ran my first (and, so far, only) half about nine months after I started running. I didn't follow a training plan, but just worked towards safely increasing my weekly mileage and long run. About two months out, I took a month off because I pulled my groin. I took the week before the race off because I tweaked my knee on a trail run. Even with the low mileage and time off, I was able to run, not race, the half and I had an amazing time.

Second, you're training for the Baltimore Half, right? I also knew I wanted to run that as soon as I read all the race reports. Unfortunately, after that first half and a handful of days after registering for Baltimore, I found out I needed foot surgery. There was a chance I could have limped across the finish line, but that's not how I wanted the race to go. If you decide to drop the race (which I'm not advocating for or against), then there is a relatively small deferment fee. It's frustrating, but at least it's an option.

I realize I didn't offer any real advice. I just wanted to give some personal experience that you might find helpful. Good luck! Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Zelanie

I would echo that it's worth checking into the anemia thing.  You can check hemoglobin and also ferritin (you'll have to request that one).  You're looking for "normal" hemoglobin and ferritin above 50.

Also, I know that you don't race all of your races, but you have been running quite a few.  I would suspect that each one takes something out of you, even if you don't run all out.  If your half is your goal, it might be better to skip the non-goal races before then.

Finally, I think you'll do fine.  Remember your 10 miler? Smile

hog4life

Kristin, it looks like everyone has said all that can be Said in terms of advice. I just wanted to add my experience. I had a similar thing happen on my first half, missed runs, very little speed work, injury, reduced mileage, felt my training was inadequate, etc. I feel you will make it easily with the training you have done, and will do in the coming weeks. Adjust your goals as necessary, and have fun.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Kristen, stop worrying so much, I think you making a bigger deal out of this than you should.  Yes there are issues with your running, meeting your expectations and wondering if you are not able to finish the race.  I saw you at the 15k.  You made that and did really well.  I asked you at the beginning what pace you were targeting, and guess what -- you hit that pace for the race.

If you scrap the plan as suggested, and simply go back to being consistent with your running days and your running miles, I think you will get back into a groove.  You can clearly run a HM, 3.1 miles is not that much farther than the 15k which you were able to handle without too much difficulty.  If your main reason for Baltimore is the experience, then don't worry.  If you are trying to leave it all out on the course then LTH's advise is more in line.

*me thinks this is a temporary glitch and that you are over-worrying*

Philliefan33

Kristin, I think you can still do Baltimore.  Don't worry about your finish time, just treat it as a long run with lots of other runners and water stations.  Enjoy the experience, and set an automatic PR.  It will give you something to beat at your second HM.

I will (respectfully) slightly disagree with fourouta5, though.  Those last 3.1 miles are tougher than "not that much farther" than 10 miles.  You can do it, but it will not be easy.  Or maybe that's just my old legs remembering how tired they were in mile 12 of my first HM.

With five weeks left before the race, I think you should try to run consistently at the miles / week that you can handle without pushing.  If you try to up your mileage above what you were doing when you last ran consistently, you might get hurt, you'll probably at least feel a little beat up, but you won't improve your fitness significantly.  At this point it is all about the mental part -- you want to feel strong and confident again.  In the next 3-4 weeks, I would try to get two LR's in the 10-11 mile range.  Nice and slow, don't worry about pace -- just to show yourself that the HM distance is within reach.