Beginners and Beyond

Running a race shirtless (or for the ladies, in a sports bra)... (Read 85 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yesterday I ran 10 miles and at mile 2 I got really hot so I took off my shirt and hid it in a bush. The temperature was about 55 and I must say, it felt really good. I am afraid of coming across as pretentious, but I am now considering running without a shirt in my upcoming hm.  Have you ever done it? Is it weird running with a bid pinned to the front of your shorts? Strange questions, I know, but... you know.

Mmmmm...beer

I see it all the time, I say do whatever you're comfortable with.

I do all of my summer training runs shirtless, but wear a singlet when racing just in case I decide I want to buy a picture.  I went shirtless for the last 4-5 miles of the half that I did at the Tybee Runfest, I got really hot and and was wearing a black long sleeve shirt (it was actually pretty cool that day, in the 40s, but with the sun and cumulative race effort, it was too much, so the shirt came off).  I had my bib pinned to my shorts, because I knew I'd be changing shirts between events, but keeping the same shorts on, so it worked out well.  It was funny, spectators were bundled up in coats and hats and several told me I was crazy. LOL  One guy asked me if I was cold, I looked at him and said, "Do you not see the sweat??? I'm burning up!" 

Also, a lot of trail runners put their bibs on theirs shorts, so it doesn't seem weird to me at all.  One trick is to fold your bib down to make it smaller, so that the number is still displayed, but it's easier to pin to the leg of your shorts.  Just be careful if there's a timing chip on the back, you don't want to fold that.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

onemile

I would never do it but I'm not skinny.  If I took my shirt off, I would want to hide myself in a bush.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm really pale and always miss some spot with sunscreen, so no running in just a sports bra for me. And the fact that sports bras aren't exactly figure flattering.....

delicate flower

Whatever makes you comfortable.  A shirtless guy is just another racer.  I wouldn't go shirtless out of fear of blinding people.  In fact, in my Tuesday night triathlon series, I'm one of the few guys actually wearing a top.

<3

LRB

I think it's one of those things that depends on the person. I see guys running topless all the time and think nothing of it, but, it's not something I do.

Of course I run in the morning, so extreme heat is a non-issue. But even on the muggiest of July or August mornings, I just tough it out.

delicate flower

I would like to add that I will in fact mock you behind your back if you're one of those shirtless guys wearing a HRM strap.

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Texas = fucking hot.

Ive been known to race small 5&10k shirtless notable in summer.

I do tend to wear a singlet in races though I train without much of the time.

Docket_Rocket

I have raced in a bra and lots of folks here race shirtless.  But then again, most of our races start above 80F (short races, I mean).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I am far from an exhibitionist but I have been thinking vaguely of this one:
                      17th Annual Skinnydipper Sun Run 5K

http://www.wildwoodnaturist.com/html/sunrun.htm

just depends on how I feel after Boston.!

Cyberic

For some reason in Montreal, there are not many shirtless people, even in parks, and people do seem to mind shirtless guys. I used to live 300 miles away from Montreal and it was not the same. There were shirtless guys all over the place.

For that reason I keep a shirt or singlet on even when it's hot. But if I lived where it was more common to be shirtless, you bet I'd do it. I just don't want to be the only one without a shirt.

Cyberic

I am far from an exhibitionist but I have been thinking vaguely of this one:
                          17th Annual Skinnydipper Sun Run 5K

http://www.wildwoodnaturist.com/html/sunrun.htm

just depends on how I feel after Boston.!

I would NOT run naked though. Even alone in the house I wear underwear.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hmmm... Depending on the weather I might go shirtless. My only concern is the bib on the shorts, but I will take D2's advice and fold it. No, there won't be a picture. I would never do that to you nice people.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hmmm... Depending on the weather I might go shirtless. My only concern is the bib on the shorts, but I will take D2's advice and fold it. No, there won't be a picture. I would never do that to you nice people.

Get nipple rings and attach the bib to them.

Cyberic

Get nipple rings and attach the bib to them.