Beginners and Beyond

The Barely Legal Tuesday Penguins (Read 37 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

So a friend of mine has a daughter in her second year of college. The daughter and 5 of her friends were trying to rent a house but nobody would rent to them. They later found out that in Pennsylvania, six or more girls living together is considered a brothel - it's one of those old laws that are still on the books!

As for me, I will do a 90 minute run today. Or maybe a little less. Or maybe a little more.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, morning.. That's an interesting law..

7M w/ 8 x 100 strides done.. Felt some discomfort on my right Achilles tendon.. Iced it after shower.. Is it taper symptom? Oh ya, broke out my new 2xu elite compression.. Felt good.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

LOL Gustav, I think that is a law in NY too.....I remember being told something like that when I was in college and trying to find a place to live with several female roommates.

I had a not so good run. I need to remember from now on, after the second terrible experience with wind, that if the "Feels Like" temp is more than 10 degrees colder than the actual temp, the wind is probably really bad, and I should dress like it is an additional 10 degrees colder than even the "feels like" temp says. It was so bad it blew my hat off, I could not hear my ipod on full blast, and I was in tears. It was actually blowing me backwards. Oh well. Done now, maybe my lesson will be learned.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

PADRunner

Good morning all, just 1 quick one for my RD. I've got to go in early today.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

I'm really starting to like this whole speed work thing, 10x100m strides done during my run today.  Haven't moved that fast in a while, felt really good.  Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Gus, Bin, Kristin, PAD, and Dave.  Gus, Can't they get a guy in the apartment, or would he be considered a pimp?

Going to try a short run after work and hope my quad is better.

Have a great day !!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After 3 days in a row of run/walk today is a rest day for me.  Lovely run/walk after work yesterday at an easy pace.  Started out along the San Antonio Riverwalk and finished up by winding through peaceful Brackendridge Park.  Temp was a pleasant 71 degrees, low humidity, and dewpoint in the 50s.

Enjoy your less or more run today, Gustav.  Gail's family state, Montana, just passed a law that now if your car has an impact with a deer and the animal is killed, you can now get out and take the deer home with you and 'harvest' the meat.   So now it is officially legal, but I suspect some folks were doing this already even before this law passed.

Here are a few odd laws we still have on the books in Texas:

It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster

Those wanting to modify the weather must first warn residents by putting a notice in the local newspaper.

In Galveston it is illegal to have a camel run loose in the streets.

In Texarkana, each cow is entitled to one acre apiece for itself

The Bluebonnet is the official song of the state flower.  Confused

You can be legally married by publicly introducing a person as your husband or wife 3 times.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy taper time, Bin!  Hope the AT behaves!

Sorry about the bad run, Kristin.  Sounds like you are having some brutal weather up there!

Happy work day, PAD, hope your busy day goes by quickly.

Good luck with the walk, Jerry, hope the quad feels better.  What did you do to it?

Well, Dave, since you are getting faster, here is your prize....   Joking

<big><big>Speedy Dave, known as Hayami Daisuke  in Japan, is the operator of QuickMan.EXE.
                    </big></big>

Link:   http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Speedy_Dave

Dave

And here is your new running shirt logo, Dave.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Scotty, LOL, camels? Those are some odd laws.

Gustav, enjoy the run.

Kristin, wind is tough.

Bin, hope the AT feels better. Did you see my price for the cabin??

Dave, nice strides. I'm ready to start back to some speed work, but probably not till spring.

Pad, Jerry, Hi ya.

I'm heading out here shortly, hoping for another 10, this needs to be a big mileage week for me, but it's going to be tough, because I'm on nights again. They also changed our schedule, so now I have to work 6 days per week through the end of Dec. I am thankful that I have a job, but sometimes all these schedule changes piss me off and make me want to find another job.

I'm working on getting some pics posted, stay tuned.......

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Run and core or kickboxing and core, depending on the thunderstorms today.

Trial this afternoon.  Gotta go!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Got in some core work yesterday.  Bridges, planks, (darn you Rick for mentioning planks) and leg lifts in every direction.  Spent a good 20 minutes on the floor but felt good to do something.

Dunno what'll be on the agenda tonight.

P.S.  Great football game last night even the questionable call at the end to create controversy! Clown

Randy

Bin Running

Mitch, went back and saw the price. Quite reasonable. I can only dream. Smile

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Robert31320

Team TJ

Hey y'all.

I got in another 3.2 miles this morning.  Sure is nice to be running for FUN again.  Almost didn't get up this morning but my wife helped convince me to get up and go.  Glad she did that for me.

Y'all have a good day.

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Here's the cabin we stayed in, very quite

The porch and rocking chairs where I drank a lot of coffee

Went to see a lumberjack dinner show

Here's a very interesting Schnauzer we seen,

Me getting ready for a zipline ride, you should try this

Witnessed a guy doing a proposal to his GF, how cool is this?

Couple more random photos

I also scored a new tattoo. Some of you have already seen it on FB. The hands represent the CANCER monster, the blue colon cancer star, and me running away from it. Of all my tattoos, this one probably has the most meaning.