Beginners and Beyond

Lessons Learned, PRs Earned.... Right? (Read 63 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, so I told ya'll that I am new to this whole interval and track and speed work stuff right? And last Monday or Sunday I had set up some workouts on garmin.com/connect to download to my 220. Well I had planned on doing 3x800m tonight..... except my stupid, idiotic dumb ass and set up 6x800m 

Do not ask, I repeat, do not as me how or what or just how can I be so freaking stupid 

Okay, I'll explain a little. As I was nearing what I thought was the final set, it began a 4th workout, and then a 5th and then near the 6th it hit me that I had put in repeat 3 times when setting it up  and I thought the rest/recovery laps would say rest or recovery but when I looked down expecting the cool down or rest, it said run so I kept running hard (after running hard already for 800 m). Yep, I am just this stupid when it comes to anything more technical than just walking out my door and running.

But.... on some slightly good news - I set two records tonight.......

Prior 5k PR - 24:40 --- 7:56 min/mile pace

New 5k PR - 24:01 --- 7:44 min/mile pace

Prior 10k PR - 53:17 --- 8:34 min/mile pace

New 10k PR - 51:31 --- 8:17 min/mile pace

Oh, and it was 86 degrees, 66-68% humidity and a dew point of 73.

The link to my workout last night is https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1260873112

.............I am pooped.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

Proves that experience is worth more than 1000 posts of advice.

I'm pretty sure you understand how your watch works for intervals, now 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Proves that experience is worth more than 1000 posts of advice.

I'm pretty sure you understand how your watch works for intervals, now 

My watch....... setting up a quick interval on it is easy.... but that damn garmin.com/connect was confusing until last night, lesson learned - don't bother with the repeat option, just add steps. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

My watch....... setting up a quick interval on it is easy.... but that damn garmin.com/connect was confusing until last night, lesson learned - don't bother with the repeat option, just add steps. 

Actually, using the repeat option reduces the number of steps. Also, there are some workouts that can only be programmed via repeats due to their length. But you're not there yet and hopefully never will be. lol

As for setting up the workout on the watch versus GC, I prefer GC. There are way more options available, to me, anyway. Using the watch doesn't allow for a warmup and/or cool down, or variations in the reps.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Actually, using the repeat option reduces the number of steps. Also, there are some workouts that can only be programmed via repeats due to their length. But you're not there yet and hopefully never will be. lol

As for setting up the workout on the watch versus GC, I prefer GC. There are way more options available, to me, anyway. Using the watch doesn't allow for a warmup and/or cool down, or variations in the reps.

Oh yeah, now that I've learned this lesson, I definitely prefer the GC over doing it on the watch.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Honestly, I'm glad I made the mistake. Had I done it right, I most likely would not have those two records and not have realized that I can get faster. So, although I screwed up and made myself look like a dummy,  some good did come out of it.

PRs

kettledrum

That is really freaking awesome!! 

I should try that.  I have no idea how to program my watch either so who knows what might happen!  Either a PR or I'd end up dead.  I'm so out of shape I'm pretty sure it would be the latter. 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That is really freaking awesome!! 

I should try that.  I have no idea how to program my watch either so who knows what might happen!  Either a PR or I'd end up dead.  I'm so out of shape I'm pretty sure it would be the latter. 

I'm hoping it was a good sign of what's to come, I've got a 10k race on August 6th and hope to break/finish under 50 minutes, even just a sec under will make me pleased

PRs

kettledrum

With good weather that is more than attainable.  I know everyone is different but your HM PR is about identical to mine and I ran a 49:18 PR last Thanksgiving.    And your weekly mileage is more than 3x mine. :-)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

With good weather that is more than attainable.  I know everyone is different but your HM PR is about identical to mine and I ran a 49:18 PR last Thanksgiving.    And your weekly mileage is more than 3x mine. :-)

I'm praying for cloud coverage, temps in the 70's or even 60's. I'm really hoping we have some real good thunderstorms the days before the race.... that usually knocks the temp and humidity down a bit.

PRs

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

How did you PR at a 10k by running 6 800s?

You people have issues 

LRB

I'm not FreeSoul87 but the 220 and the 620 has an algorithm that pulls your fastest mile, 5k, 10k (and possibility your half marathon and marathon, I can't remember), as well as your longest run out of a workout and tags them as PRs. Whether they are actual PRs or not depends on where you are in your running life. When I first got my 220 for instance, I got a "mile PR" during a marathon pace run, which of course was nowhere near my actual mile PR.  Similarly, I got a "5k PR" during a 10k interval session ffs (it wasn't).

Anyway, my guess is it took her intervals and added the fastest distance of the rest of the run, and tagged it as a "PR", which in her case actually was.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm not FreeSoul87 but the 220 and the 620 has an algorithm that pulls your fastest mile, 5k, 10k (and possibility your half marathon and marathon, I can't remember), as well as your longest run out of a workout and tags them as PRs. Whether they are actual PRs or not depends on where you are in your running life. When I first got my 220 for instance, I got a "mile PR" during a marathon pace run, which of course was nowhere near my actual mile PR.  Similarly, I got a "5k PR" during a 10k interval session ffs (it wasn't).

Anyway, my guess is it took her intervals and added the fastest distance of the rest of the run, and tagged it as a "PR", which in her case actually was.

Exactly (I think). It totaled the miles/laps and got 6.25 miles and the workout lasted 51:30. And like LRB stated, it pulls records, though I'm calling it a PR (personal record) because during that workout I did run my fastest 5k (3.1 miles) and my fastest 10k (6.2 miles).

Hell, during one of my half marathons back in 2014, it stated I ran my fastest 10k, and my fastest 13.1 at that time.

PRs

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

During your intervals you take recovery breaks (either complete rest, walk, or easy jog)?

If so then I'd totally through that PR bullshit that Garmin is feeding you into the crapper where it belongs.

You people have issues 

Cyberic

It does make sense.

In the watch's internal history it was the first time you ran 10 consecutive Ks in that time. No extrapolation there. It will not give you a 10K best time if you only ran 8K. That would not make sense.