Beginners and Beyond

Running: What Have You Learned? (Read 181 times)

LRB

I have several routes now that I run but one of my first, and still a favorite, is a 3.9 mile route in the residential area near my work.  I first ran it on May 28, 2011, which was also the day I began running.

The first time I ran it, it took 35 looooong agonizing minutes.  I think my back hurt for a week after that!  Eventually, I got it down to between 28 to 32 minutes.

I ran that route faithfully once a week, but would not run one tenth of a mile more.  On the weekend I ran 5 miles, which was just the most unbelievable thing!  I remember the first time I ran 6 miles, I actually went to the route at work and did it and thought I was going to die!

In my second year, I extended the route to 5 miles, and ran it between 38 and 41 minutes.  I also increased the days I ran it to as many as, wait for it, three whole days! 

The common denominator here is pace, which was 7:20 ish to 8:00 ish per mile, and I wasn't too happy when I ran the latter.  I ran them briskly, as if I had to be somewhere.  Looking back on it nowit's funny.  

With the sun appearing much earlier the last few days, I got out for my first weekday run at work today, which now in my third year, I have extended to 6 miles, something I would have never fathomed two years ago!

Once I was off and running, I had to slow myself down two or three times until I was running comfortably at 8:45 to 9:00 pace per mile. 

Though running 8 minute miles was not all that hard, it was not easy.  Running easy as an effort, not as a pace, is easy.  That's what I have learned.

The experience level in our group is diverse, but with running as in life, there is always something to learn or try differently, even with the most hardened veteran. 

So beginner or beyond, what have you learned?

Dr. Cornsitter

That even though I'm not "good" at this, I feel great doing it.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

I've learned that I can tell that voice in my head to "shut the hell up".  I can't run run 1,3,7,10 miles? Bull. I just did. Boom!

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

happylily

What have I learned? That to me, running requires patience. It requires intimate knowledge of myself. And above all, it requires faith in what I can do.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Dr. Cornsitter

What have I learned? That to me, running requires patience. It requires intimate knowledge of myself. And above all, it requires faith in what I can do.

+10,000

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Put one foot in front of the other..

I don't have to run fast, I can run at a pace and run far..further than I ever imagined.. That is awesome!

onemile

- you have to accept your limitations. Just because someone else can use x plan or run x miles a week doesn't mean you can (or should)

- there's more to training than the mpw numbers in your log (still have to remind myself of this one)

- running a lot of slow miles makes you able to run a lot of slow miles but to get faster you have to run faster.

Philliefan33

I have learned that with patience and consistency, I can do things I didn't think possible one year ago.

On Memorial Day weekend 2012, I ran for 5 miles fo the first time ever.  It was considered my LR.  This week, my shortest run will be 5 miles and my LR will be 11-12.

I'm still slow, but I've come to terms with that.  Smile

cmb4314

Don't be ashamed to run slow, if that's what feels easy.  All of my improvement happened when I lost the fear of running too slow.

Don't start long runs, in August, at 10AM.  Even with the lack of sleep, they're much easier and more enjoyable if you go out at 5-6AM and finish before the heat of the day.

Running in the dark with a headlamp isn't that scary.

I have to do specific strengthening for my right leg - it is crooked as hell and my ITBS will just keep coming back if I don't put in the effort.

And lastly - don't step on ice patches, no matter how gingerly you think you can do it.  It has the potential to end very, very badly.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

- you have to accept your limitations. Just because someone else can use x plan or run x miles a week doesn't mean you can (or should)

- there's more to training than the mpw numbers in your log (still have to remind myself of this one)

- running a lot of slow miles makes you able to run a lot of slow miles but to get faster you have to run faster.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Although, I would say to an extent, DON'T accept limitations. I am fairly fast but I'm certainly not genetically gifted. I'm not stick thin like most faster runners. I was primarily a softball player when it came to sports, but when I got very serious about my running I put my nose to the grindstone and just WORKED. I faithfully stick to my schedule even when it means skipping a social function or going out in the cold. I do workouts I hate, but I know make me better. If you are willing to work I believe your "limitations" are a lot less limiting than you think.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Consistency is king.

Weekly mileage is the top priority for endurance training.

It is unwise to think you might be able to complete a long run after too much tequila the night before.

Finding your potential is a delicate balance of pushing yourself, but not pushing yourself too hard.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

onemile

Although, I would say to an extent, DON'T accept limitations. I am fairly fast but I'm certainly not genetically gifted. I'm not stick thin like most faster runners. I was primarily a softball player when it came to sports, but when I got very serious about my running I put my nose to the grindstone and just WORKED. I faithfully stick to my schedule even when it means skipping a social function or going out in the cold. I do workouts I hate, but I know make me better. If you are willing to work I believe your "limitations" are a lot less limiting than you think.

I agree with that completely. I meant more in terms current limitations - training for where you are right now and not where someone else is or where you want to be.  I see a lot of people over reaching and choosing plans and then not being able to complete the workouts or skipping the speedwork or getting injured because the plan is too much for where they currently are (and I am tempted to do this myself).

MrNamtor

I've learned that I don't have to run faster than the bear, I just have to run faster than YOU.

Ha ha, just kidding, great posts on running all, very inspirational.

Docket_Rocket

+1.

Also, don't compare yourself to others and their progress.  You have to work with what you have and being the best you can be is best.

Also, easy pace is not a number, it is an effort and you should run some of your runs at this effort.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Chairman

I agree with that completely. I meant more in terms current limitations - training for where you are right now and not where someone else is or where you want to be.  I see a lot of people over reaching and choosing plans and then not being able to complete the workouts or skipping the speedwork or getting injured because the plan is too much for where they currently are (and I am tempted to do this myself).

Very true. It can be hard to put aside the ego and have an honest look at what your body is able to tolerate, especially for someone striving to do their best.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey