Beginners and Beyond

Running: What Have You Learned? (Read 181 times)

I have learned that within myself i can do what ever i set my mind to do.

Never in my life i would have thought that at age 49 or at any age I would be able to run a 1/2 mile or more. Heck, a year ago running up a flight of stairs had me gasping for air.

This running addiction is almost all i think about when i am not working. I cant wait to get out on the street or even a treadmill. My rest days are long, i get anxoious to get back at it. I may not be fast but thats ok, the only person i am racing is myself for myself to better myself.

I am glad to have found RWOL then RA and hang out with you guys. I may be one of the quite ones but i read alot and am trying to learn every day on how to be better.

Thanks

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Gator eye

In addition to what you folks have mentioned, I get a kick out of learning new bathroom options along my routes.

This goes well with one of the things I learned a couple weeks ago, never trust a fart.

And always carry a few pieces of paper towel cause snow and tree branches just won't do the trick. Tight lips

Dr. Cornsitter

This goes well with one of the things I learned a couple weeks ago, never trust a fart.

And always carry a few pieces of paper towel cause snow and tree branches just won't do the trick. Tight lips

Or know which leaves you're using......

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

robinde

I don't believe in "listen to your body" because my body is an idiot.  Tired?  Sore?  Lazy?  Too bad, Phil.  Get your run in.  I am never as beat up as I think I am.

So true.  If I listened to my body, I'd still be fat and sitting on the couch because that's what my body wanted to do.

I've learned that I can run Smile

-  Oh, I have learned the shorter your running shorts are, the faster you run.   Just buy those really, really short ones and you can run really, really fast.  Big grin

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

happylily

-  Oh, I have learned the shorter your running shorts are, the faster you run.   Just buy those really, really short ones and you can run really, really fast.  Big grin

+1! Short shorts are full of goodness. Plus, they make my legs look longer. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

In addition to what you folks have mentioned, I get a kick out of learning new bathroom options along my routes.

I live semi-rural. On some of my routes I can do a 20 miler without a stop light/sign or store to be found.

My bathroom options become much more limitied once the leaves drop in the fall.Smile

--  On the Running Shorts, I only wear the mediocre-length shorts, thus I can get an AG win, but not an overall win.  I'd like to throw on some of those really short shorts and get the overall win, but I don't want to have to wear shorts so small that my junk might fall out. Big grin

--  On the 'restroom while running" theme, I once saw a co-worker female friend of mine approaching me on our running trail here on base.  I said "Hii Pat" and she replied "I have to take a crap!"  She ran in the woods shortly after, and later on I saw her again, but she only had one sock on.... Shy

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

No more marathons

I've learned that "fast" is all a matter of perspective.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

I have learned:

To enjoy solitude.  To use the hours out on the road for thinking through problems, for planning ahead, for reflection, or sometimes for nothing at all except enjoying the moment.

To appreciate the beauty of a summer downpour, a freezing winter night under an impossibly bright moon, a warm spring breeze heavy with the scent of new life, or a sunny fall afternoon that a thousand painters have never quite been able to fully capture.

To be ok with skipping a day once in a while.  Extreme weather happens, illness happens, crazy days at work happen.  It can better to not force a run when you really don't want to.

That a great motivation for success can be previous failure, and that sometimes we need to either play to our strengths or create new ones.

Nevrgivup

To work with what you got and know your strengths. I'm stronger in the shorter distances.

That to be considered a "runner" you don't have to complete a marathon, run a certain amount of miles, or run a certain pace.

That by looking good i.e. pretty clothes, shoes, I feel good and it helps me feel my best and do my best. Bright clothes are very motivating.

Nothing comes easy and it takes hard work and commitment to reach your goals.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

happylily

I have learned:

To enjoy solitude.  To use the hours out on the road for thinking through problems, for planning ahead, for reflection, or sometimes for nothing at all except enjoying the moment.

To appreciate the beauty of a summer downpour, a freezing winter night under an impossibly bright moon, a warm spring breeze heavy with the scent of new life, or a sunny fall afternoon that a thousand painters have never quite been able to fully capture.

To be ok with skipping a day once in a while.  Extreme weather happens, illness happens, crazy days at work happen.  It can better to not force a run when you really don't want to.

That a great motivation for success can be previous failure, and that sometimes we need to either play to our strengths or create new ones.

I like that.

happylily

I have learned:

Actually, I LOVE that. I can't stop thinking about it, now. If that's all we learn from running, it's still worth more than anything else we could learn somewhere else.

Goorun

To work with what you got and know your strengths. I'm stronger in the shorter distances.

That to be considered a "runner" you don't have to complete a marathon, run a certain amount of miles, or run a certain pace.

That by looking good i.e. pretty clothes, shoes, I feel good and it helps me feel my best and do my best. Bright clothes are very motivating.

Nothing comes easy and it takes hard work and commitment to reach your goals.

+10000000

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Actually, I LOVE that. I can't stop thinking about it, now. If that's all we learn from running, it's still worth more than anything else we could learn somewhere else.

Blush