Beginners and Beyond

Do Penguins Love Girl Scout Cookies Thursday (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Happy Thursday!   Today's Holidays....

Girl Scouts Birthday! Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Low assembled 18 girls from Savannah, Georgia, on March 12, 1912, for the very first local Girl Scout meeting.

National Milky Way Bar Day and National Scallops Day

World Kidney Day - Be Aware of Kidney Health...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Planned on an easy 3-miler after work yesterday.  Yeah, that didn't work out...I wasn't paying attention and missed a turn at Mile 2...and then found I was on one of my local hill routes.  Well, shoot, I was there now, might as well do it, no turning back.  So I did!  Ended up with hills done - and these ain't no baby hills! -  and a longer route; finished with a total of 4.6 miles.  The weather was not cooperative.  Supposed to go up to 68 yesterday, but it went up to ONLY 61, and was a bit breezy.  Even so, I was just fine running in a singlet.  Ah, Texas Spring. 

After the hills yesterday, today's plan is for a nice, easy run on the FLAT San Antonio Riverwalk.   Weather guy says temp is going to 70 today, with a bit of cloudiness.  Yeah, we'll see...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

6 miles done this morning. Going to try to make the group workout tonight.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Nice extra miles, Scotty. I like it when I feel good enough not to be thrown off by a wrong turn.

PAD, nice running, hope you have a good workout tonight.

Zel, it wasn't me that asked, but thanks for posting the Pfitz HM info. I have his Advanced Marathoning book which only addresses, well, marathons. Smile

4 easy miles planned for later, as soon as it reaches 80 degrees.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning, PAD and Scott.  Short run after work, ready for a LR sometime this weekend.

Have a great Thriday Wink

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'morning, Brill.  Good luck on the marathon. Stay cool.

Brilliant

'morning, Brill.  Good luck on the marathon. Stay cool.

Thanks. I know most of you can't relate to that right now, as most of the rest of the country digs out from snow and ice. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  10 with 6 at MP done.  It was humid as hell but manageable.

Brilliant, good luck!  Don't forget to adjust for weather!  I can relate. The 90s is my Spring weather. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

I got 2 boxes of girl scout cookies this year, and neither one survived that day.  Ugh.  So at least I didn't buy any more.  7.5 last night for me, maybe 8 tonight.

Scotty- Nice long run! Smile

PAD- Enjoy the group workout!

Jerry- Glad the legs are ready for a LR!

Brilliant- Good luck!  I was happy that Pfitz put out a new book about shorter distances.  So far, other than peeking at the plans, I've only read his section about Masters runners.  He recommends VO2Max workouts, a day of extra recovery per decade over 40, and maintaining a high volume of easy miles.  I'm kinda sorta incorporating those ideas.

D- Nice MP run!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks to the Weight Loss Challenge, our GS cookies are in the freezer.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  3 easy planned for today.  I'm going to the race expo this evening with a couple of my friends to pick up my race materials.  I might pick up some other running goodies as well - to be determined =D

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm ok with Girl Scout cookies, but I don't go out of my way to get them.  So I don't often end up with any, because somehow nobody ever asks me to buy them!  Scallops, on the other hand, yum!!  And I made a Milky Way cake once (yes, just once) that had I think 8 Milky Way bars in the batter, and another 5 in the icing.  It was incredible, but it should probably be a once-in-a-lifetime occurence.  Chorus rehearsal tonight!!

Scotty -- You sound like you're just LOVING your Texas spring!!  Too bad it ends next week and you're into summer!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6!!

Brilliant -- enjoy your hot easy 4!!

Jerryb -- Have a good after work run, and enjoy your Thriday!!  (The rest of us just have regular Thursday, don't rub it in!)

Docket -- Glad your humid 10 is done!!

Zelanie -- Laughing at the cookie inhaling!!  Sometimes I also subscribe to the theory of "If I eat them all now, I won't have to worry about eating them all later!"

sapf -- Enjoy your easy 3 and have fun at the expo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

PAD

i understand it is to be a short shakeout run.  Likely under 3 miles.

Enjoy!

hog4life

7.5 yesterday and looking 8 ish today.

Brilliant, good luck, can't wait to hear about it.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Scotty: Last night, I just bought my last two boxes of Girl Scout cookies; Tagalongs and the lemon kind. The Thin Mints were gone! Dang, those Tagalongs are like chips in that it is impossible to eat only one or two.

Brill: Drink, drink, drink, and drink some more (water, that is).

Hi everyone else.

5 more miles last night and more to come tonight. The Sadie Hawkins dance is the Saturday so DD1 is running around with her date getting clothes and stuff to wear. It will be nice when spring break comes around so I can have some peace and quiet. It is not a formal or even a semi-formal dance. The kids usually get fun t-shirts and dress like twins and such.  DD1 and her date got these god-awful shirts that they are going to wear with shorts, matching ugly socks, and Converse. Actually, I like ugly socks. The uglier the better. I'm even wearing some right now.  Smile

Have a good day.