Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins need to work their core! (Read 207 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I have out-planked myself and I am sore to the core. Last night I did the weight machine ritual followed up with some stationary bike action. At home I stretched and did some Thera-band exercise. Hopefully when I start running again I will be bullet proof!

Good to see that Tori made it over!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Tweaky63

I AM running!!!

Good morning Gustav & Pengs! I know I need to pay more attention to working my core and upper body. I've been focused on running and have not spent as much time with the weights. No bullet proof nothing for me: ) Did 5 yesterday and I have a long day ahead but I plan to do another 5 tonight! Happy day all! Brenda

The mircle isn't that I finished. The mircle is that I had the courage to start.

~ John Bingham

I am another who has forgotten about her core! Lol Gustav good job on staying fit and active during this time! I hope you are back at it soon! Tweaky- good luck on the 5 miles tonight! Afm- SRD since I will be busy all day and needed the extra sleep/ lazy time this morning! Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Jen2011

Good morning Penguins! I'm sorry I haven't been posting a lot this week, but I found that when I came to the forum, I was obsessing over what could go wrong on my half on Sunday.  Every time I read about someone having a bad race/run, I pictured it happening to me.  I decided that I needed to calm down and take a break.  Perhaps it's part of taper madness, since I'm spending less time running, I've got time to think about everything.  

I think it was Kara who posted before her half that it's not just about that one day, but about the journey in getting there.  I need to keep reminding myself of that and just relax.

Ive got a short 2 miler planned for after work today, and then after work tomorrow we are hitting the road.  I'll keep you posted, and I promise to be back next week posting personals.

Thank you all for your support and for welcoming me into the Colony!

i hope you all have a great day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm heading to Detroit here shortly.  I had karaoke last night, and I have lunch with a customer today and dinner with a customer tonight.  I must protect my streak.  I won't get any lights up tonight, but I have to find a way to sneak in a run before I start drinking beer with a customer.  I'm not sure how, but I'll do it.  I'm determined.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Meh, I work my core occasionally but not as much as I should. I did 5 miles last night, plan to do about 4 tonight.

Dad on the run.

Awood - Just bust out a quick 7:30 min mile, I'm sure you can do that! You only need a mile to keep the streak going right?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Morning Pengs! 

Core?  What's a core?

Gustav - good for you for planking yourself silly!

Brenda - enjoy your 5 later!

Jen - just HAVE FUN. Seriously, just have fun!  You've worked so hard, enjoy the fruits of your labor and let your fitness carry your through!

Kristi - enjoy the SRD!

awood - good luck squeezing in your run tonight!  Can't let the streak die!  PS.  Please to be posting a pic of your house when it's all done.  I'm picturing something like in the movies, lol!

Phillie - good luck with your 4 tonight!

AFM - my practice holiday party was last night so not only did I not get a run in, I ate lots of tasty foods that I didn't need.  But it was sooo good.  Wink  Got 4 in early this am.  I'm on call today but will try to do another 3 tonight if possible. 

Have a great one, Pengs!

Liz

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  The run went great last night so another run tonight with the running group.  Working from home today!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

Good morning everyone!  I look forward to reading everyones posts in the mornings and seeing everyones progress.

Gustav- I did Strength Training last night on my bowflex.  It was the first time in a long time I did any weight training and boy am i sore!  Not my legs so much bc I guess I'm used to working them from running but my shoulders!  How long do you plank for?  I need to start doing that. With as muchas it seems you've been sticking to your routine I'm sure you will be bullet proof!

Tweaky- Great job on the 5 miles and good luck with the 5 tonight!

Kristi- enjoy your rest day!

Jen-  Race day jitters are normal.  Just remember you have worked hard to get where you are.  It won't be your last run, there will be many many more ahead so no need to worry about doing horribly right?  You're right it is a journey and it changes you a lot, makes you stronger.  Good luck and enjoy the last easy run and rest up. Most importantly have fun on race day!  Which one are you running?

Awood- I hope you get your run in! And I would like to see a picture of your house after you finish all those lights! 

Philli-  Good Job on the 5 and have fun with the 4 tonight!

Liz- Awesome job getting in 4 already this morning.  I envy early runners.

Today is 5 miles for me at an easy pace. I'm not sure if i'll do it on the treadmill when the little one naps or if maybe I can sweet talk my boy friend into babysitting for a little bit. Wink Have a great day everyone!

Young mother cooking, eating, and running for both mental and physical health.  And I'm not as serious as that makes me sound :) www.eatrunlivehappy.com

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Penguins !!!   We did get a RD yesterday and I made it to the health club for the weight machines.  Try to do a wide range of motion  with light Resistance.  

Should make it back on the bike path for a short or long run depending on how we feel.

Have a great Friday Eve. !!!!

jerry

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

Docket_rocket- I would love to start a running group here.  That has to be so motivating!  At my sister's college in Memphis they have an art school running group.  I'm trying to get her to join.

Young mother cooking, eating, and running for both mental and physical health.  And I'm not as serious as that makes me sound :) www.eatrunlivehappy.com

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

Good Morning Penguins !!!   We did get a RD yesterday and I made it to the health club for the weight machines.  Try to do a wide range of motion  with light Resistance.  

Should make it back on the bike path for a short or long run depending on how we feel.

Have a great Friday Eve. !!!!

jerry

Glad you got your run in!  I love how you do it together Smile 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

SRD for me. May get to my zumba class after work. No time for personals now.....we will see if I can get back later for them. Whenever I come back after my initial check-in there are like 5 pages. I read everything but don't always have the energy after a long work day to comment to everyone! One thing from yesterday though....awood the story of your lights is so cool! Lots of work though! Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to