Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: St. Jude's Jingle Bells 5K (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

This was my 71st race of 2014 and  the first 5K of 4 5Ks planned for the weekend of December 13 - 14.  Held in historic Gruene (pronounced Green) Texas, this event supports the St. Jude's Ranch for Children - stjudesranch.org - which cares for 'children in need."  Presented by the Comal Independent School District, this has become a very popular event and this year had 853 finishers.  Weather was very cooperative too, at least temperature-wise, it was about 62 degrees at the 8 a.m. start time.  It was quite humid, however, and very foggy.  I ended up finishing in 32:27, 6th in my age group of 60-64.

BEFORE THE RACE

Got my packet, and wandered around getting some photos. Apologize for the quality of some of the pre-start photos....I think the fog got some 'mist-spots' on my lens and I forgot to wipe them off before taking some of the photos...making the effect look like little circular 'pods' from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" coming to get people, oh my!  It is probably a very good thing I don't make a living as a photographer, lol.

Historic "Gruene Hall", dance-hall and bar, where a lot of singers got their start and some world-wide well known singers still perform on occasion

The first person I met was good ole St. Nick...

There were folks from area bands out there too, giving us support...and some of them were along the course for us too, keeping us entertained as we passed by

...and then lots of volunteers, participants, and their family and friends who came out in support

This one really got attacked by the pods...sorry...

These 3 jolly fellows were wearing the tech tee that participants got in the goody bag

Getting ready to start...

ON THE COURSE

Very nice course, mainly flat, a loop course through a very nice neighborhood, with us finishing the last part of the course - about the last half-mile - the same way we had first come out.  As said previously, it was quite foggy in places, as you can see from some of the photos.

AFTER THE RACE

Some folks at the finish line area after getting done, including me..

Some of the musicians near the finish line playing for us

AthleteGuild race event company computing the results as finishers came in...

Very nice party in the 'back yard" of historic  Gruene Hall

Goodies included water, various fruits, sausage wraps.......and beer...oh yeah!

Good beer served by these good guys...

YMCA folks out 'recruiting" members. I love the Y and am a 'city-wide' member, which means I get the use of all 10 area YMCAs in San Antonio and New Braunfels.  Convenient, since I was able to shower and change into dry clothes before my drive home.

And all the goodies enjoyed by lots of 'Happy Finishers" et al....

The Doberman looks like it wants to eat me, lol...they were both actually very friendly dogs...

Two 'heroes'  - firefighters!  I can't imagine running INTO a burning building!  Thanks for your service, guys!

One of the great volunteers out there for us...the Medal Lady

EPILOG

Love this event!  Lots of very friendly people, great race location, good course, great after-party!  Definitely a keeper on the race calendar!  LOTS of thanks to all the volunteers, law enforcement folks, Gruene Hall for opening up for us, and everyone else who helps make this great event happen each year for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

What a festive race!  Everyone looks so happy.  I hope all your races this weekend turned out as well.

Looks like a great time. I'd been to Gruene once. Very cool place.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

GinnyinPA

I love all the Christmassy outfits.  Looks like fun.