Beginners and Beyond

Fridailies (Read 22 times)

8 miles. Headed out of town in a couple hours. After my vacation day conference call. 

Dave

Docket_Rocket

I have 5 tonight. Cooldown starts after 3! At PT right now for my graduation.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rest day after 20 little days in a row... also feel like crap day, summer cold

delicate flower

Happy Friday!  I swam 2500 yards before work, then ran 17 circles around the block for 8 miles. 

The new dog is at doggie day care right now.  They had to "test" her first to make sure she is not a psychotic asshole, so I guess she passed that test.  It'll be nice to get her some dog socialization, and more importantly tire her the hell out so maybe we can sleep past 5 AM.

<3

Cyberic

11 miles, long sleeves, gloves. Just lovely!

KCRuns

I woke up early to go swim this morning, but there was a pretty bad storm raging outside, and I decided I didn't want to be out in it.  I thought I'd get on the TM instead.  Then our power went out, so I just went back to bed for a few more hours.  By the time I got up for work, the power was back on as well as internet.  Not sure if I'll have a chance later to work out so it may just be an USRD.

delicate flower

So yesterday I decided to retire the Vaporflys I was running in.  I got 480 miles out of them.  I really wanted to push them to 500, but it just wasn't happening.  That would been 3-4 more runs but the shoes were shot.  Given their price point, I've been trying to get everything I can out of each pair.  I've been getting 450-475 out of them.  The new model is supposed to be a little more durable, so we'll see.

<3

sdWhiskers

6 miles, including ~1 mi on a trail I've never run on before. Got to play HCK's favorite Stick or Snake. Every like 50 ft there was a Beware of Rattlesnakes sign. Thankfully, did not see any.

No work today so didn't start running until almost 9am  Checked my work email once, saw a bunch that I could respond to but decided NO and won't open it again until Tues morning. Be the change you want to see in the world!

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

no run for me today. When I woke, weather app said raining (hard), 20-25mph wind, 47 degrees...no thanks. Did 20 mins on the rowing machine, 20 mins on the bike, some weights then PT. Ended up being a good workout and my legs don't feel shot!

just realized when I took last Sunday off, no run, no anything, it was my first no activity day in 6 months, almost exactly! So, this week is the start of a new streak.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

So yesterday I decided to retire the Vaporflys I was running in.  I got 480 miles out of them.  I really wanted to push them to 500, but it just wasn't happening.  That would been 3-4 more runs but the shoes were shot.  Given their price point, I've been trying to get everything I can out of each pair.  I've been getting 450-475 out of them.  The new model is supposed to be a little more durable, so we'll see.

I've read a lot of posts on RA and other sites where people are not training in the super shoes, just racing. Some think there's no real benefit to training in them, other than maybe a bit easier on the legs, although some say they can cause other issues. I have never bought or run in super shoes but am thinking of buying a pair if I actually run a race this year. Just curious what everyone thinks about training in them. If you've covered this while I was away, no need to rehash.

delicate flower

I've read a lot of posts on RA and other sites where people are not training in the super shoes, just racing. Some think there's no real benefit to training in them, other than maybe a bit easier on the legs, although some say they can cause other issues. I have never bought or run in super shoes but am thinking of buying a pair if I actually run a race this year. Just curious what everyone thinks about training in them. If you've covered this while I was away, no need to rehash.

I train in them because they are noticeably easier on my legs.  I know that eventually down the road I am going to need a left knee replacement, so anything I can do now that allows me to keep running hard while moving that knee replacement goal post out, I will do that, because I am unwilling to stop running.

<3

Cyberic

I do not own a pair of the real super shoes, but have a pair of Saucony's attempt at super shoes. They do not have the same beneficial effect on the legs as the Nikes so I don't have a personal opinion.

But I know a couple of people, here and IRL that like the Nikes so much for that reason that they like wearing them all the time. There's a local guy who runs more than me in a year, who runs only in Nike super shoes.  I do not know the mileage he gets out of each pair, though.

Didn't Nike make a little cousin with the same foam but without the plate that are noticeably cheaper? Wouldn't they give the same benefits to the legs?

That's probably been discussed, before, but I don't remember, and usually people like talking about shoes here. I know I do.

Docket_Rocket

I have the ones that you can train on but they don't feel anything like the new super shoes (Next%), IMO.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Didn't Nike make a little cousin with the same foam but without the plate that are noticeably cheaper? Wouldn't they give the same benefits to the legs?

I feel like I had seen that there was a version of the Pegasus with the special foam and the Zoom Fly with the plate.

I found some Zoom Flys for $35. I wound up with pneumonia 4 days later. Punishment for trying to get cheater shoes?

Docket_Rocket

I feel like I had seen that there was a version of the Pegasus with the special foam and the Zoom Fly with the plate.

I found some Zoom Flys for $35. I wound up with pneumonia 4 days later. Punishment for trying to get cheater shoes?

They are nowhere close to cheater shoes, though.

Damaris

Fundraising Page