Beginners and Beyond

Christmas gatherings bring ironic comments (Read 907 times)

Luke79

I have found that people who don't do some sort of physical activity are generally obnoxious when discussing physical activities.

@runjerseygirl

+1.  I think it helps them justify being lazy.

I have found that people who don't do some sort of physical activity are generally obnoxious when discussing physical activities.

Do you even run?

CrisRuns

I usually avoid those people like the plague. I understand it can be difficult, depending on your situation, though. So, the alternative, is to delve into their hobbies, cross-stiching, say.... and pretend, even with yourself, that you really are interested. It might make them happy and save you from more stupid discussions. You might also learn something new, who knows. Win-win.

xor

I have found that family gatherings and pretty much anything involving alcohol brings out snidely commentary.

Anyway, Christmas aside, we get this thread every few months.... "I'm tired of people coming down on me because I run", "people are making fun of me because I'm skinny", etc etc etc.

Yeah, "how long was your marathon" gets old... but this is all the way of the world.  Be happy you got some family time even when they are annoying.  Some day you might miss it.

CrisRuns

I have found that family gatherings and pretty much anything involving alcohol brings out snidely commentary.

Anyway, Christmas aside, we get this thread every few months.... "I'm tired of people coming down on me because I run", "people are making fun of me because I'm skinny", etc etc etc.

Yeah, "how long was your marathon" gets old... but this is all the way of the world.  Be happy you got some family time even when they are annoying.  Some day you might miss it.

I agree that this is a recurring theme. But if it helps people blow off steam here, rather than blowing off their relatives, we might be filling a need and also get a kick out of it. I also agree that sometimes we get annoyed about smaller things and we miss the big pictures of having the huge benefit of people caring about us. It is worth to remind ourselves of this sometimes.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Does that make sense? I know she loves me, but she is still searching for her own identity, she is still trying to impress herself through the eyes of others, and maybe she wishes it didn't seem so easy for me all the time (which it is not. I just don't share my difficulties with her).

Maybe it would help if you shared some difficulties with her. Made yourself more "real" and accessible, so she can relate that she is not the only one with difficulties and her mom is superwoman, but her mom is very real with difficulties in addition to the amazing things you have achieved through running and in other areas of your life. For example, if you have a really bad run maybe share that with her so she doesn't assume every run is a sunshine rainbow PR in a marathon. I have no idea if this will help, I don't know your family...just a suggestion! I don't have kids so I do not speak from a place of experience.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

xor

Blowing off steam is goodness.  Just beware of the side effects of getting attuned to it here and amping up the message board drama such that it impacts real life (example: letting the vibe in here make you super touchy about ANY feedback that isn't "you are amazing"), or developing co-dependent relationships, etc.  If I'm running to improve my health, that's a good thing.  Not worth getting a chip on my shoulder about.

Anyway, it's family.  That's what family does.  If they weren't making weird comments about running, then it would be my clothes.  Or failed relationships.  Or that I brought drinks to the party when everyone else cooked.  Or that my dad is annoying, so let's talk about him. etc etc etc.  Tis a staple of Christmas movies since the dawn of cinema.  WE just get the running version.

Anywayanway, blowing off steam is goodness.  There are lots of reasons why people "pick on us" for running and nutrition and stuff.  And sometimes we totally deserve it anyway.

Anywayanywayanyway, her blouse does not match her shoes.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Since I've started running, I've had a lot of people try to tell me that running was bad for my knees.  That's when I just explain that being 300 pounds is hard on the knees.  Powerlifting was bad for all of my joints.  I see 80-90 year old runners at races, and 30 year old obese people in electric carts at Wal-Mart.  I'll take my chances on running.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

MrNamtor

Maybe it would help if you shared some difficulties with her. Made yourself more "real" and accessible, so she can relate that she is not the only one with difficulties and her mom is superwoman, but her mom is very real with difficulties in addition to the amazing things you have achieved through running and in other areas of your life. For example, if you have a really bad run maybe share that with her so she doesn't assume every run is a sunshine rainbow PR in a marathon. I have no idea if this will help, I don't know your family...just a suggestion! I don't have kids so I do not speak from a place of experience.

Yes there is a lot to be said for this. Julie, having a mom like you is probably intimidating no matter what. My dad was a chess master and as a result, I never played much myself, probably because I always felt like the bar was too high. My dad could literally beat me blindfolded (which was one of his most impressive feats, in my eyes) On the other hand, my dad beat HIS dad when he (my dad) was 12 years old. That encouraged him. lol sometimes it's better to have a parent who is mediocre at something and encourages you to be your best than to have a parent who intimidates you, not deliberately, but  just because of who they are.

MrNamtor

Since I've started running, I've had a lot of people try to tell me that running was bad for my knees.  That's when I just explain that being 300 pounds is hard on the knees.  Powerlifting was bad for all of my joints.  I see 80-90 year old runners at races, and 30 year old obese people in electric carts at Wal-Mart.  I'll take my chances on running.

yeah, what the hell is with these electric scooters at walmart?

CrisRuns

Agreed. I guess that one could say" Running is my drug of choice". Even IF one were running "too much" there are far worse things one could to to himself and/or others.

Will run for scenery.

Yeah, as wonderful as family is, thank goodness we aren't together every day. My mom called me in tears last night because earlier in the day I told her .....   I didn't need help carving the ham. My bad.

I don't get many negative/weird comments about running, but I was told once that Tylenol was poison and would ruin my health : by a chain smoker.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

CrisRuns

Yeah, as wonderful as family is, thank goodness we aren't together every day. My mom called me in tears last night because earlier in the day I told her .....   I didn't need help carving the ham. My bad.

I don't get many negative/weird comments about running, but I was told once that Tylenol was poison and would ruin my health : by a chain smoker.

Is this normal for your mom?!

Rungry!

I guess I'm pretty lucky - my family is very supportive of my weight loss and running. My dad talks about me like I'm a superhero, kinda embarassing Blush

Jen

xor

The weird thing about this one is that there's a nugget of semi-truth in there.  ODing on tylenol is bad news for your liver... and it doesn't take that much.  Side note.... you know vicodin, House's drug of choice?  That's a combination of hydrocodone (a narcotic) and.... acetaminophen (tylenol).  When it comes to ODing on vicodin, the acetaminophen piece can mess you up too; it isn't just about the narcotic.

But, yeah, just semi-truth :-).  Using tylenol in the normal way isn't going to ruin your health :-D.

Chain smoking may not either.  Depends on the iron content of the chains.